main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope people don't take this the wrong way, but my brother and I were homeschooled for most of our education, mainly because public school was boring us to death.

tjace and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Same here, though not for the same reasons. I have three siblings and the younger two have literally been homeschooled their whole life, while my oldest younger brother, who is two years younger than I, went to public school two years (me 2nd and 3rd, him Kindergarten and 1st) and other than they we were homeschooled our whole lives, I am a senior getting ready to graduate, and though I do not consider myself super-smart I did better-than-average on my SATs–not to brag, but I'm just saying that homeschooling does necessarily have any drawbacks education-wise. Socially maybe. But I'm around people my own age enough, and interact with them normally enough, that I'm hardly socially impaired or anything like that.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    My high school days were fictionalized by the TV show The OC.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I went to a crappy public school where everyone hated me and I had no friends. :c

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    My school existed inside a computer, virtual reality-style.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah I kinda of wish my high school days were fictionalized by the movie Hackers instead. :(

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My high school days were a ****ed up mix The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My high school days were Daria.

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Seconded.

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Daria would be the closest to my highschool days, except I wasn't as snarky, people harassed me a lot more, and I ended my senior year with a tour of duty in a psych ward.

So, Daria with fanfic embellishments. :p

I'm going to go outside for a midnight walk. I need to clear my head. Unrelated to this thread.

Goodwood likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Actually I'm pretty sure Daria would've written that story.

Goodwood and TrakNar like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What's a Daria?

lol. Which school? I went to HS in OC as well.

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    My high school days involved pennies thrown at my head, getting the backing of the varsity football team so no one would **** with me, and realizing an important facet of my life.

Oh, and I ended my senior year by acing a Sci-Fi course and learning to absolutely love writing.

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Anyone on the fence about seeing Cap: TWS: go see it. It's terrific, top three of the Marvel chain, right below Avengers and the first Iron Man. Far more suspense or spy film than superhero movie. I got strong Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol vibes from it, but with Cap involved, a lot of the knots in a traditional spy thriller tend to get cut. And it shakes up the MCU in a lot of ways that really intrigue me, and which I hope bear fruit sooner rather than later.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Is Google, like, banned in your country or something?

I think you're underestimating the diversity of ignorant dip****s available to the public. And seriously overestimating the efficacy of public education in guarding against ignorant dip****tery.

16. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    While my childhood certainly wasn't fantastic, I wouldn't trade my public school education for any other form—even such failsafe techniques as neurostimulation or flash-imprinting.

And I wouldn't wish a homeschool upbringing on my worst enemy.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    My high school days were Comprehensive school days.

And then Sixth Form College days for the final two years.

COZ THAT'S HOW WE ROLL.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Elementary and middle school sucked. I moved around a lot so I was always the new kid.

High school was OK. That's when I started hanging out with guys more because they would watch Star Wars and Indiana Jones and play video games, whereas so many girls turned into "ZOMG clothes and ZOMG let's go to the mall and ZOMG did you see that cute guy and wait if you sleep with him before I do you're a slut!!!" Not all of them were like that, I played soccer with some great girls. We made fun of the ones who couldn't join us on the field because falling in the mud would mess up their hair.

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Did they even have video games when you were at school? [face_tee_hee]:p

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We had Space Invaders for the Atari 2600. I could shoot pixelated aliens out of the sky like nobody's business.

Especially with H.G. Wells himself giving me instructions.

Findswoman and Ulicus like this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The reviewer in my local paper didn't seem to like it as much as the internet does. But he's a middle-aged guy who probably just gets cranky around action and explosions.

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Not sure if old, or if H.G. Wells literally travelled through time to hang out with you.

23. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    That's exactly how I would rank it too, great movie. Hopefully they continue this trend with guardians and beyond.

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, I loved TWS. So damn good.

Though Mass Effect has ruined me so hard that most of the time Cap said/did anything, I saw a massive PARAGON INTERRUPT flash on the screen.

Mia Mesharad, Goodwood, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  25. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Though I'm pretty much in near internet blackout mode anyway, due to boring circumstances (traveling a bunch and space lizards ate my laptop), I plan to double it up since I haven't seen TWS yet, and won't be able to for at least a week. These things are so much more fun when you don't know the entire movie from trailers and spoilers before you walk in. I did read Brubaker's run, though, so I imagine I at least know the basics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.