main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The search function don't seem to work for me, do other share this problem? And why don't it work?

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Gamiel, it hasn't been working for me either—nor for anyone, I think. IIRC, there's something about it in the "Communications" forum somewhere (they say they're working on it).

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, there's some info in the Tapatalk thread there. Tapatalk is kind of ****ed up right now too if you're on an iPhone.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So Cap was pretty.

OMG DOCTOR STRANGE REFERENCE OMG

5. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Quite good indeed. It will be interesting to see how they work him into the universe. Doubting there will be any magic involved, maybe he acquires some form of advanced alien tech or is just super smart[face_dunno]

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Huh, you want to wield magic? Just know how to do mail merge, people will look at you as if you're a magician!

Findswoman likes this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    GrandAdmiralJello

Man, I can't decide which faction I want to stick with. I actually like Daggerfall Covenant a lot simply due to the novelty -- I didn't really dig the tropical AD areas I've seen.. but the EP is also appealing. I'm in this massive EP guild and in three smaller DC guilds. I can't decide!

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    After the Abra line is fully realized, next on the docket are Drowzee and Hypno. Drowzee will be easy: bipedal tapir. Hypno I'm thinking of a tapir-proboscis monkey hybrid of nightmares.

Should be fun!

Goodwood and Todd the Jedi like this.
  9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    As I've said elsewhere, Trak, your art is always very cool to see, even when I don't completely understand it! :) Are you going to post any of these on your art thread too?

Incidentally, I thought of your most recent drawing today while driving by "Abra Auto Body and Glass."

TrakNar likes this.
  10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I plan to post the finished pieces in my art thread and on Tumblr. Concept sketches, though, I'll just deposit anywhere.

11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I see. I didn't realize they weren't at that stage yet!

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, I have a few more Abra studies to go through before I can put together a final piece. I was planning on painting a group shot. Gives me an excuse to practice painting fur.

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Don't worry, painting fur is easy.

It's getting the paint out afterwards that's hard! [face_monkey]

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

What's the novelty of DC? It was the only faction I didn't want to play because it seemed the most generic/bland of the three. Which is sad because the other two factions want to end the era of Man, but oh well...

TrakNar likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Nords don't! The novelty of Daggerfall is that it's two provinces which *I* haven't explored. I have Daggerfall the game but really haven't put in the effort to playing it, and even so the territory isn't going to be the same. Morrowind is all new content too, true, but the aesthetic is the same. And Skyrim being the same territory is kind of a plus IMO -- I posted some pics of Riften and Windhelm earlier in the thread and it's pretty neat IMO.

Like I said, I think one of the IMO drawbacks of the game is the faction system. I kind of wish I could just go where I want -- I'm leveling in Morrowind for a bit and I get tired of it, let's check out High Rock or Auridon.

Plus I guess I dig the "generic fantasy," I dunno. I want to explore Alik'r at least.

I tried AD just to break the stalemate but I dunno, the tropical setting just doesn't appeal to me. I guess I prefer the quasi-medieval fantasy setting of High Rock.

I think what drives me nuts is whenever I'm playing one faction, I see the chatter of the guild in the other faction.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I hate guild chat. Especially that it's OOC. That's garbage. Especially for RP guilds.

There was a book I found that was like the EP manifesto. Talking about how the Nords were the best of the humans and realized that the time for Men to rule was at an end, and that the Tribunal were the only responsible gods etc. I like the Tribunal, but not for my Imperial main character :p

I don't mind the tropical setting. I found the Khajiit lands more interesting than the genericism of Auridon. But I do like the Altmer as a group, so that's alright. And the royal-centric plotline is important to me. The DC is based on merchants and trade. If I wanted that, I'd watch MSNBC.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah the king of the DC is the crusty old dean of 80s college comedies.

The esoteric lore which I've seen (C0DA) suggests that the elves do destroy man. Maybe? Damn Thalmor.

My problem is I somehow got into this massive 500 person guild in Ebonheart Pact that's pretty exclusive (and has some Veteran Rank members already), and I'm in three smaller Daggerfall Covenant guilds that seem pretty cool. I wish I could turn off chat for one or the other while playing the opposite so it doesn't drive me nuts and make me want to swap back and forth between characters.

18. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I don't know if anyone else is playing inFamour: Second Son, but I just got the neon power and it's AWESOME! Also, the Paper Trail missions don't start until you get to the second island, so if you're not seeing it pop up don't freak out. They don't tell you that you need to have the neon powers and be partway through the game to activate it.

19. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Just thought I'd pop in and say I'm playing ESO as well. I really wasn't in a hurry to play, as I'm still half-heartedly playing SWTOR, and not really looking for another MMO to play. But, it is the next Elder Scrolls game for a while, so what the hell. What this all means, is, that I haven't really been keeping track of the game's features, progress, etc. So imagine my surprise when I get in game and discover that not only can you join multiple guilds (what?), but there is no auction house (what?!). At least not as I'm used to. From what I've seen in chat, if you want to sell things to other players, you have to join a big trading guild and sell within that guild. Which I guess makes sense, seeing as how they let you join multiple guilds. But what the hell, I usually don't join any guilds. At all. Unless it's friends.

I dunno. Just threw me for a loop is all, thought I'd share :p

20. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

I'm looking forward to the next wave of Marvel movies as well as what's going to come out of the Netflix deal. Hopefully events in this movie will finally give Agents of Shield a proper direction.

If we get a Nick Fury movie out of this...I will be over the moon.

BTW, if anyone wants the PUNISHER movie that should have been, I can't recommend DEAD MAN DOWN enough. Seriously, it's the PUNISHER, just headcanon tweak a few details and you've got the best Punisher movie ever and the best one we're likely to get.

21. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Shepard.

Wrex.

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005

Cap was a good movie. Saw it earlier tonight. And a Nick Fury movie would be fun, but I think I would rather a full on Black Widow movie. She more than held her own in this one.

So Guardians of the Galaxy is net up, then Avengers II? Or are we lucky enough to get say a Doctor Strange movie coming up. I've sort of lost track.

23. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    My understanding is that the Black Widow movie is a go right after ScarJo has her baby, at least that was the last report I heard. Guardians of the Galaxy sets up the next Avengers movie from what I understand, and Captain America 3 is already been given a go and I think Thor 3 has a green light. The only real question is what they do with Iron Man, but I think they can easily move into second stringers like Black Widow now that the universe's foundations are laid.

I know they want to press on with Doctor Strange, but I know Avengers 2: Age of Ultron is next and then it's a little up in the air what the production schedule is like. I suspect we'll hear about things this summer at SDCC and NYCC.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Just finished Codex Alera and went to read the wiki article:

"The inspiration for the series came from a bet Jim was challenged to by a member of the Del Rey Online Writer’s Workshop. The challenger bet that Jim could not write a good story based on a lame idea, and Jim countered that he could do it using two lame ideas of the challenger’s choosing. The “lame” ideas given were "Lost Roman Legion", and "Pokemon""

Okay, Jello, you've got to read it, now. :p

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel like you mentioned the bet part to me before? If not, maybe LI but I think you're the only one who mentioned this series to me.

Currently I'm reading through a Roman historical fiction series. Then I have one (of like three) series that LI recommended. Then I have my read through of the entire epic canon. Then all the big ancient historians. Then the playwrights. Then some modern canonical works. And so on. I can add this series to the lost, which is in no particular order, but it's going to take me ages since I only have about an hour or so of free reading time a day. :p plus certain things like previewing new EU books or the new Heroes of Olympus book in October are going to take priority. Hell, speaking of EU I still new to read the Daley books to get half of this forum off of my back :p.

Basically I wish I could just get paid to read. Would make life a lot easier. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.