main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    GIF FIGHT!

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Blade of Tyshalle is wildly different. Each Caine book is. It's less straight fantasy, more murky philosophical exploration of loss and perseverance and friendship and all kinds of stuff that also has massive asskicking. It's more of a Traitor or maybe Shatterpoint while Heroes Die is more of a LSATSOM. It also has one of my favorite lines ever. Highly recommended. As much as I love Heroes Die, Blade of Tyshalle is really the masterpiece of the Acts of Caine.

Trip, Ulicus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    LOL ah well I was gonna say. I've been listening to you guys go on for years about how "deeply philosophical" this series is, but Heroes read like an M-rated WoW novelization.:p

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    If HD was KotOR, BoT is KotOR 2. Only moreso.

(And I remember being mad impressed that Stover created the perfect setting for an MMO franchise before MMOs even existed. Though I guess, at the time, it was more "LARPing writ large".)

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Fargo is the best new show!

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for Hulu to pick up Community.

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Fargo is great. Like an actual Coen Brothers movie, they're doing so many weird things along the way that they're setting themselves up so that failure is near impossible. It could end totally predictably at this point and still be amazing.

But I have to be honest... I only want Community back if Donglover---*ahem* Don Glover comes back.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm basically operating on the assumption that Community is done. IF it comes back, I'll be pleasantly surprised--though to be honest, from a story standpoint, I like where they left things. I don't know that finding an excuse to keep them at the school for yet another year is ideal at this point.

Fargo = utter perfection. I'm enjoying it so much that I've been going back and crossing other Coen movies off my to-do list just to keep myself from freaking out between episodes.

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Agreed. I would have liked actual payoff to Jeff/Annie though, rather than just implied where they left it.

Fargo is 10 episodes or 13? I think the former, but would love the latter.

10. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

My personal favorites are Miller's Crossing (as a fan of Dashiell Hammett) and The Man Who Wasn't There. Both underrated.

Also, I guess I just don't get the 'shipping stuff on Community. The season 4 scabs showed that it's kind of a weird context for romantic plots, and Harmon really only uses that if there's a particular theme which can only be explored through a established relationship; he does a lot of stuff with social hierarchies, exploring how difficult it is for two individuals alone to really connect, while a small personal group (a community) can have something more meaningful.

CooperTFN likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    10. And it's an anthology so next season is a totally new story--though I'm hoping Budge and Pepper come back.

Edit: Is it still "ninja'd" if I didn't notice there was another page?

Noted. I was considering MWWT but I wasn't sure what to make of it.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    LARPing the Overworld sounds really dangerous.

"I rip out your guts!"

His books still stand as the most gruesome I've ever read. But they were great -- or at least the first two were. I never did read CBK, even after all the wait for it. Those were the days when Stover still posted here, too...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know were I can find the 'Spirit adept' image by Chad Michael Ward from Hero's Guid? I can not find it on the wook'

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I liked Heroes Die enough to want to keep going, but it was a three-month read for me. When I saw how long Tyshalle was, my eagerness...waned. But I'll get to it someday.

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    @DigitalMessiah : I'm surprised that you didn't bring up the Twin Peaks-esque TV show/fun house from Max Payne 2.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Never played MP2.

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, a shame - they took a throwaway gag in Max Payne about a Twin Peaks-esque show, and turned it into a full 'thing', centered around a large funhouse. One of the more amusing moments - you can watch a thug explaining the show to another thug, telling him he has the whole series on tape, but ruins it for the guy by giving away the 'twist'. (And then, of course, you drop in and kill them both. )

Also, TOKYO IS LIVE in the Secret World. (Jello, are you going to get on board, or what?)

Trip likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My Hypno stares into your soul.

[​IMG]

My current team also has a transgender Gardevoir on it, so hooray for diversity! :D

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    whose soul

what if I don't have one

MercenaryAce likes this.
  21. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Then he stares into your dreams and nightmares, relishing the thought of devouring them.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Along the shore the cloud waves break,
    The twin suns sink behind the lake,
    The shadows lengthen
    In Carcosa.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
    And strange moons circle through the skies,
    But stranger still is
    Lost Carcosa.

Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
    Where flap the tatters of the King,
    Must die unheard in
    Dim Carcosa.

Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
    Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
    Shall dry and die in
    Lost Carcosa.

23. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I told Trip that I'd play when they let me wear Roman clothing (not armor) everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.