main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

And eventually you're going to understand that that's just how I talk... [face_batting]

Regardless, let's be honest for a second: "There are so many things I could unpack if I cared enough to," italics and all, is at least as much of a loaded statement as my colloquial reply.

Anyway, my opinion of Whedon is that he's managing to make decent enough entertainment while going farther and farther up his own ass. The stuff he makes is best enjoyed without thinking too much about him. I'd say one shouldn't mistake the bleeding through of my opinion on Whedon as a claim against him; the thought that Firefly could have been ripped off is probably only a tenth of what's interesting about the comparison. The main reason it's an interesting topic are the coincidences. Maybe you have to see it to get it... and hell, everybody should. I mean, either way I'm describing a show very similar to Firefly which you don't need a high "weird anime **** tolerance" to appreciate... so I'm surprised the reaction is so much defensiveness and so little intrigue. [face_thinking] Missin' out...

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Speaking only for myself, I actually think Firefly is overrated. But it's hard not to say that graphic is listing some awfully generic similarities. I mean, come on, things like
    and
    ?

Those could be said about tons of series. Heck, they could probably even be said about multiple space westerns, although it's not a genre I'm super-familiar with so I can't say for sure.

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    I didn't post that graphic. That graphic is dumb. It was clipped out of a bigger infographic with a bunch of other Firefly facts.

Pffff for chrissakes, we're talking about two space westerns which open with the captain of a ship coming into possession of a mysterious naked girl in a box who is being hunted down by governments and bounty hunters, and the girl turns out to be the product of a top-secret government research project, and it all culminates with the MacGuffin "Miranda" (a planet in Firefly, and a password to a planet in Outlaw Star).

Isn't... that... enough? iiiiiiit's just a conversation topic in the social thread... I mean, like, I don't see why the dumb generic stuff listed there lessens the serendipity of those similarities. I feel like you guys are trying to make me feel wrong/insane for thinking these are interesting coincidences... [face_thinking]

Gamiel likes this.
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Cautiously optimistic about Starships. After all, there's the whole "Beyond Earth" elephant sitting in the room. (I ended up playing that twice before going back to Civ V).

Oddly enough, I'm cautiously optimistic about Starship as well. I mean, they're due another appearance in Star Wars, why not in Ep7?

Edit: I'm shocked and disappointed that no one has discussed the totally awesome lightsaber battle on the Venture Brothers.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    No, that is interesting. I just think it's silly to say people are being defensive when they're calling that graphic's comparisons weak.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    jesus christ what have I wrought

Ulicus likes this.
  7. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    Firefly, like most Joss Whedon stuff ... I love it when I first watch it, but when I look back I think "this is ridiculously cheesy, how the hell did I ever watch this?"

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm also very disappointed that no one said Trigun.

9. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I got Cowboy Bebop (the Amazon Exclusive) on Blu-Ray, it's still in shrink-wrap because I keep telling myself I'll watch it later. I have fond memories and don't want to be disappointed (and also because it was pricey and I don't want to feel like I wasted the money)

10. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

[face_dunno] Eh. I think I probably chose that word flippantly and it might have come from the fact that while I was looking for a better comparison list, I came upon a bunch of Firefly fans literally plotting to "protect Joss Whedon" by removing analyses of the similarities from the internet. Or wait, did this start because I said "don't get your panties in a twist?" Because to be fair, that's just ribbin', and I'd say making a big deal out of that does strike me as defensive. Something sure as hell led to enough weird little stiff jabs, so hey, instead of more, how about let's call it even? [face_peace]

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What genres do you like?There are many different kinds of anime shows/movis out there you know

12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It still holds up quite well. It's not a waste of money. I remember so lon ago trying to get the individual DVDs of the series as they came out months apart, for like $25-$30 bucks for a 4-5 episode disc :(
    Same with Farscape. I'm slowly replacing my first run DVDs of that with the new Anniversary DVDs to free up space on my DVD shelf. Already did the same for Stargate SG-1. I remember those seasons being $65 a pop, now I picked up Season 8 for $9 at Barnes and Noble (who tend to mark up DVDs rather badly)

Abadacus likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Excluding quotes, words you have posted on this subject since the Outlaw Star thing showed up: 622

Words everyone else combined has posted on it, including this post: 211

Tell me again how it's even, or how we're making a big deal out of it?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  14. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

OH MY GOD WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON? "BIG DEAL" IS ALSO A COLLOQUIALISM and counting the words isn't exactly selling me on you being so nonchalant.

15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Mom, dad, please stop fighting. I'm scared.

16. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    I really have no idea where any of this came from. I have nothing... except the time afforded by a cold.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's all DM's fault. Alternately, Joss Whedon's.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
  20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Lowest since 1984!

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Where's an interdimensional menace killing millions of people when you need it?

I wonder what the scale of the clock is. What would the world look like at 23:00? 22:00? 00:03?

22. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Very small. It's always 23-something.

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It's funny that people sometimes don't realize how close we came to the clock striking midnight... or that there was a nuclear bomb dropped on the US (accidentally, by our own military).

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Lowest was IIRC 23:43 in 1991

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yep. Highest was the two minute mark in the late 50s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.