main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Jeez, guys. What are you seeing in this trailer that I'm not?

I'm not saying it's a guaranteed hit, but it's got a proven cast and a director who had a specific vision for it (not just some cattle-call guy).

EDIT: Seriously, I read Max Landis talking about how blown-away he was by Trank's ideas... and Max Landis is kind of a genius in terms of tight scripts with exciting plot hooks.

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So I turned 24 today, and I realized that by the time Luke Skywalker was my age, he'd already destroyed the Death Star, redeemed Darth Vader, and become a Jedi.

It was a sobering moment.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It really is.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    By the time his father was 24, he'd redeemed the Death Star, become Darth Vader, and destroyed the Jedi.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    When Luke was my age, he was with Callista.

.....not sure what to take from that.

6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    When Luke was my age, it was 2 ABY and everyone was on vacation.

Edit: No, I'm actually 22. So the long and tangent-filled search for Han Solo is on. Meanwhile I write an article in the student guild magazine. The subject is about how the sentient ducks and mice in Disney comics must have come into existence by some sort of fast evolution that could take only a couple of generations in correct environment.

Random Comments likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And/or evacuating Yavin.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    When Luke was my age he was in Empires End... no surprise it has been a pretty bad year so far [face_bleh]

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So is the thread title just about rhyming at this point?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Not sure who changed it, but Ackbar is never permanently trapped. He always finds a way out.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!

Wait... did I just use a Friday Night Lights quote when talking about Ackbar? There are days even I wonder what the hell I am talking about... :p

--Adm. Nick

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So, you can argue that S3 of Arrow hasn't been as great as the previous two (I can't agree or disagree because I haven't seen any of the episodes yet), but one thing it seems to be doing right:

Since, in Oliver's absence, Roy has been taking his place, the news has apparently been calling him the "Red Arrow." This indicates to me that it's very possible that when Oliver returns, they'll start calling him the "Green Arrow" to differentiate between him and Roy, even if it's only the media that calls him that.

Oh, and Laurel. I've heard they're doing pretty well with Laurel, too.

Dante1120 likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Speaking of Disney -- and when are we not? -- it seems the U.S. government has officially asked Disney for permission to use Anna and Elsa to spearhead an anti global warming PSA campaign. They actually sent an admiral to ask Disney (who initially refused, but the admiral thinks that they'd be too effective to just give up).

I'm really enjoying this :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

cthugha likes this.
  13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Even though the great threat to everyone's well-being in Arendelle was that it was too cold, and the whole point of the movie was figuring out how to thaw it?

Yep, sounds like the perfect PSA representatives to me.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, firstly global warming causes temperature differentials rather than uniform summer-like weather. Second, I think the idea is that it threatens the climate of places that are normally wintry in the same way an ice curse reversed summer.

Third, stop being cynical.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

cthugha, CooperTFN and Cynical_Ben like this.
  15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Oh come now, that's giving them too much credit. The meeting was probably, "Hey, that doom clock thingie got moved up, we should probably do a PSA about that thing Al Gore was rambling on about. Is there anything popular out there with the kids these days that's got anything to do with stuff getting warmer?" "Well, there is this movie about everything getting colder..." "Close enough! Get ol' Walt on the phone!"

Have to start somewhere. :D

Gamiel and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Elsa's powers being used to fight global warming, and failing because she's only one person and, powerful as she is she's not powerful enough (until she's assisted by millions of people doing the right thing) might be the theme.

cthugha likes this.
  17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Retired (Coast Guard) admiral, technically. In his new role as Special Representative for the Arctic.

Just sending an active duty admiral to meet with Disney would be a little odd. :p

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe Elsa could be the modern version of Smokey The Bear? "Only YOU can fight global warming."

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    A fleet would have been more persuasive.

Give us Anna and Elsa, elsa we'll commence bombardment.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    He's still an admiral. And what do you think admirals do aside from meet people and cut ribbons? It's not like they have fleet battles anymore. It's the importance of the person, not his active duty status, that's key.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes.

Yes.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Wait, is he really?

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I just started reading the novel Countdown City by Ben Winters, and I think it's the first time I've seen TCW brought up in a non-Star Wars work.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, my Dad made Lieutenant before he got out so about four ranks behind; he was already meeting people and had been for awhile but was still in line to break up icebergs in Greenland.

And I'm cynical about the Elsa thing, only because global warming deniers have already made up their minds and aren't going to let it go* just because Elsa finds climate change dangerous.

...Yes, I did just do that.

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Possibly. Just rumourmill atm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.