main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's much handier. Although the task bar doesn't hold a candle to the finder on a Mac.

However, there is at least one other person on Earth who does it-I saw a screenshot with the taskbar like that earlier today. :p

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah; I want all my drop-down menus at the top with every single other menu in Windows.

3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Heh, this whole thing really is rather ironic. While I was deployed last year, I was planning to build a PC with roughly the following specs when I get home:

Hardware: 500-gig internal harddrive

-512-mb video card

-4 gigs of memory

software: Windows XP, a dock, etc etc.

But Tigerdirect wound up being...difficult, so I wound up just buying an Imac, and now that I've bootcamped it and modified the windows side with the software I posted about above, I pretty much have that computer. Don't have quite the same hardware specs (about 50%) but otherwise, it's the same. :p

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've tried rearrnging some stuff on my windows machines to match my Mac sensibilities but they seemt to reject my efforts (Vista seems to auto-delete my shortcut to the recyling bin i want to have on the desktop, so I gotta dig through the drive to find it and empty it; also it keeps moving hard drive icons to the upper left when they belong on the upper right ;) ).

Some of those programs look pretty good though, might try a couple of them.

Anything out there that will modify the "what a click, double click or triple click will select in text" or "how text is highlighted" behavior in windows to match the more logical way of a mac? Cause, outside of Number Lock and mirroring the two Enter key functions, that's one of those minor touches to Windows that just annoys the living crap out of me with how ******ed it operates.

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    What I really want is an out and out mimic program of Finder-Dock-Spaces-Expose all rolled into one for Windows XP. I have separate programs that mimic most of that, but no one single program that ties it all together.

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Dear goodness me... I fear watching a twiddle bit of Lost in Austen may have infected me with a delirious admission as incontravertible as repungent elfs to a Kubaz menu. So I speak as one gentleman to another with the expectation of discretion of that which entails: I fear I have become a Pride and Prejudice liker.

7. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Haha, so wow, I'm really slow. I just now realized that the covers for Dynasty of Evil, Omen, and Abyss have been revealed. And I have to say they look SWEET, especially the latter two! I'm loving these FotJ covers. (I just wish they would've used someone other than Luke for the back cover of Omen since he was already on the front of Outcast.) Also, I hope they put Han on the back of Abyss (I don't think the back of Abyss has been revealed yet).

8. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single Star Wars fan with an interest in the Expanded Universe must be in want of a good novel.

BBC prive and Prejudice is one of my favourite TV series. Colin Firth! Colin Firth! Colin Firth! And I so LOVE the interplay between Mr and Mrs Bennett.

9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Of course, we could recommend The Lord of the Rings to him, but I have a feeling he'd smite us for that. :p

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
  11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Suggestion noted, Rew.

[image=http://www.justtotheleft.com/images/boxing_kangaroo.jpg]

Suggestion rejected.

12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I have this sneaking suspicion that when The Hobbit reaches movie theaters, you're NOT going to be first in line on opening night. :p

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm more interested in I, Gladiuus.

[face_mischief]

Where IS Gladiuus, these days?

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Search your feelings, Ex... you know you really love LOTR...

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    lol. :p

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Uli, if you like Claudius then come here

17. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

The movies were exemplar. It's the books I scorn. The entire trilogy is just endless singing, eating, drinking. The utter lack of females and excitement is dispicable, and those males sure do a lot hugging and comradely loving. It's dazzled a world of hypnotised fans who think endless topographical description is heart-pounding ectasy. [face_talk_hand]

I don't street sleep to see movies first, and never more than once. I wait a few weeks for the crowds to sparse. Better that way! [face_dancing]

18. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    So I stopped watching ABC's LOST around the second season's finale and have only seen bits and pieces since (that was somewhere in 2006 or 07 I believe). I don't currently have any new box sets to watch and remembered someone had told me that ABC.com has a video player which allows you to watch all seasons, 1-5.

I watched every episode in between the season 2 finale and "LaFleur," the latest episode of season 5, and I am enamored. Anybody been watching lately? I try to explain it to people, but they look at me like I'm crazy, they say the plot is too farfetched. I strongly disagree. I wrote a huge Email to my mom containing the main highlights of the show since she'd last seen it (she used to love it too) and she was perplexed. No one can understand, or even try to understand it.

Is it only me? Why don't I find these things too farfetched myself? Okay, there are a few things that are a bit ridiculous (the fact that they can actually move the island and travel back and forth into time), but the general plot - the message, I guess - is a very intriguing one.

So, anyone else been following it as avidly as I?

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    the fact that they can actually move the island and travel back and forth into time

Yeah, that pretty well killed any remaining interest I had. :p

20. S1thari

Oct 13, 2008
    LOL. Well, I guess that does sound pretty crazy but the method and how/why it happens isn't actually as ridiculous as it seems.

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's clearly a Gallifreyan Experiment. The Island is actually an open-air TARDIS.

22. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Doctor Who [face_love]

We owe the Brits big time.

23. S1thari

Oct 13, 2008
    Honestly, I would not be surprised.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Lost has been amazing the last two seasons. It stumbled a little in the third season, but it recovered bigtime.

It's complicated but I don't think it's that complicated, unless by complicated people mean "a lot of unexplained stuff to track". I forget the occasional bit, but the show is pretty consistent and has always focused on the characters along the way as an anchor.

Time travel/teleportation from the island has been hinted at or used multiple times over the first few seasons, so I can't really see complaining about using it now.

It's always been a sci-fi/fantasy show, and eventually it had to proclaim that loudly for the story to progress to it's conclusion.

I mean, what did people think the mind-seeing deadly smoke creature was supposed to suggest, genre-wise? Or Desmond's time travel excursion post-bunker explosion? Or Locke walking, dead people returning and unaging natives?

They could have gone the supernatural route and those same people wouldn't have had a problem with it, but suddenly you try to explain things in a scientific manner (after a fashion) and you've gone too far.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Lost has been great this season (although the recent physics angle probably helped, for me at least!). I love complicated mysteries and conspiracies, as long as they go somewhere. I was a big X-Files fan at the start, but gradually lost interest over the seasons as it became apparent that Chris Carter didn't have a clue as to what his overarching mythology meant. The fact that they are wrapping it all up at the end of Season Six also does my heart good.
    Er.... Doctor Who? As much as I love Doctor Who, and as many references that have been made to inspirations on Lost (one of the more recent to Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, one of my favorite books), I don't think the time travel references Doctor Who - IMO, of course...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.