main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daala

Daala Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 1999
    Lost lost me as soon as they became the Jack-Kate-Sawyer show a couple seasons ago. If I want a soap opera, I'll watch General Hospital again. I heard the show got back on track again this season but I feel like I've missed to much to come back in.

BTW, this may be of interest: Wired.com story- Anakin Skywalker: Borderline Personality, Bipolar or Narcissist? Hmm. I've always thought the Skywalker clan could keep a psychiatrist in business for their entire career. Sorry if this isn't the proper place for this link.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

It's a social thread, Daala. You can discuss what you like! [:D]

Does anyone know where I can buy the eng-dubbed (not subtitled) DVD of Curse of the Golden Flower? The one you see on youtube. Any online stores only have region 1 America. I need region 4.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    ON WISCONSIN!

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    That was a good game by Wisconsin.

Gig 'em, Aggies!

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Huh. Well, the Battlestar finale was... interesting.

6. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Finished Mindor last night! It was good to read a new EU novel again, and the Emperor Skywalker bits were teh funny!

Nick Rostu, how I missed you!

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Were there any humour-free smiles?

8. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    Indeed. I guess I was mostly satisfied, and didn't fully expect them to explain everything. But it would also have been good if they'd at least tried to answer a few of the series-long questions. They left it very vague, which is fine. But season 4.5 can in no way compare to season 3 in my eyes, and I guess that's what bummed me out the most.

9. S1thari

Oct 13, 2008
    I agree. It sort of threw me off when I watched seasons 3-5 recently because I was really into it during seasons 1 & 2, when it hadn't been as scifi-y as it is now. But the direction it's taken far exceeded anything I could imagine, and has really managed to enamor my interest. I understand why some people can't watch it, but then again I think that's mostly because they haven't given it a try. The method in which they explain and go about the time-travel and teleportation is actually really intriguing, and was probably done the best way possible.

I also don't feel it's a soap opera. Sure, it has its share of drama, but what decent show doesn't? It's got a little bit of everything, and the drama doesn't dominate the show whatsoever. I actually find myself looking forward to what will come of the whole Jack-Sawyer-Kate-Juliet love-square. It'll definitely be interesting, and the direction season 5 has taken in general has so many possibilities, I think that it'll be awesome wherever they decide to take it. Especially after "Namaste," and the fact that Sun and the rest of the Ajira survivors have landed in present time while Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid have landed in the 70s...

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    BSG finale was disappointing.

I think I would have preferred actual time travel and a literal case of 'all this has happened before and will happen again' rather than them stumbling across a 'new Earth'.

That said, I do quite like my current 'meta' reading of the ending. The Divine Force, 'God', is - in fact - the narrative. Weird and contrived stuff happens because, well, the narrative demands it. And all this has happened before and will happen again, mainly, because people will rewatch the show (or there will be another remake at some point). :p

I'm still pretty sad that we never learnt more about the Lords of Kobol.

11. S1thari

Oct 13, 2008
    I actually thought the way they found Earth was one of the best parts. I didn't really like how they went about living on it and how they ended it, but the fact that the coordinates to Earth were actually the Watchtower song notes was awesome.

That, and when Baltar and Caprica Six were staring up at the "glowy" Final Five was very cool too. Galen's revenge might have been my favorite part, though. Tory was definitely becoming a nuisance. She might have fit in better with the calousness of Cavil's forces, come to think of it...

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It was a valiant effort against Xavier but they faded in the second half.

Syracuse is still alive though:)

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The first half was pretty decent, but the second just sucked. I don't know how we fell apart like that.

14. QueenMother_LK

QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2009
    ooo! I love this new background! [face_love]=D=

15. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I don't... everyone's name is harder to see...

And seeing Secura up there reminds she wore wore the same clothes almost every comic appearance for years and decades of fictional life!

16. S1thari

Oct 13, 2008
    I must admit that I never really understood why Aayla Secura has such a huge fan following. Is it because of the comics? She had a few appearances and maybe one or two lines in the novels? She's a sexy Twi'lek... but then again, every female Twi'lek is. That's one of the main attributes of the female Twi'lek. Maybe because she wields two lightsabers? Or is it because she was Vos's sidekick?

17. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

She doesn't wield 2 sabers. Over the years she never changed from her same generic personality and clothes she always wore. I don't dislike her. It's just that she looks absolutely ridiculous walking around in those sleazy clothes as a respectable Jedi.

18. Saelo

Saelo Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2009
    She did in SW Battlefront 2, did she not?

19. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I saw the 70s version of the show during a sci-fi channel marathon a few years back and got traumatized, which is why I didn't watch the new series that came out. But I've been hearing so many good things about the new one that I decided to give it a try. I downloaded all four seasons to my computer and will be watching the first episode tonight. [face_dancing]

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Download? Where? How? Wouldn't that be a massive volume of C-drive space?

I recent bought Seasons 1 and 2. They stopped showing them in Aust mid-season 2. Idiots. Imbeciles. Week old Sadowpanties. Commenor forbid we get anything sci fi here. $50 each, I thought that was a pretty good deal, until I saw a far cheaper price of $30 tonight. Oh well. If I choose to buy further seasons I'll know where to go.

21. S1thari

Oct 13, 2008
    I got all my BSG box sets at a local FYE, most of them used for no more than $25-$30 each, although I did have to buy 4.0 new at Target for normal price. The only season I haven't seen is 2.5, which is one of the best; Inara - where did you download these? I'm pretty sure I could find them for free somewhere online, but I might as well buy the box set. I just don't feel like ordering it online and having to wait for it - none of other stores in my area have it.

Inara - don't let the OS BSG ruin your outlook on the newer series. Go in with an open mind and I've no doubt you'll enjoy it. I felt the same way you did at first 2 years ago, and it became one of my favorite series - of all time.

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    BSG Miniseries, S1 and S2 are all epic.

Razor is also pretty good.

S3 is a bit so so. Gets better as it goes along.

S4 was a mixed bag and ended... uh... poorly, IMO. It felt rushed as hell and I was very disappointed that all the explanations seemed to have been dreamt up pretty recently.

And some stuff just seemed like a massive missed opportunity? DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BSG FINALE.

I mean. Jeez! Would it have killed them to have killed off both Athena and Helo? Thus making the Opera House stuff a little more powerful and allowing Gaius and Caprica-Six to be the ones to raise Hera as Head Six said they would be?

And it doesn't make any sense that the Colonies would be named after OUR EARTH's constellations. Urg. What nonsense. Whatever happened to the thirteenth tribe going to a planet where they could "see their brothers and sisters in the sky"?

At least some sort of time travel would have *made sense*.

- BSG and the Fleet arrives at prehistoric Earth. This will happen again.
    - Humans eventually leave Earth and colonise Kobol
    - The Thirteen Tribes leave Kobol, Cylon Tribe returns to Earth, others establish the Twelve Colonies.
    - Thirteenth Tribe ruin Earth, Final Five head off.
    - Cylon War/s and the Fall
    - BSG and the Fleet search for Earth. Find it ruined.
    - BSG and the Fleet end up time travelling (somehow) to preshistoric Earth. This has happened before.

Overly simple, maybe. But better than what we got.

23. S1thari

Oct 13, 2008
    Season 3 was actually my favorite season of all. Started off abruptly with the exodus of New Caprica, the Resistance and Adama/Apollo riding to the rescue. The middle was a bit slow, but once it got into the whole Algae planet/supernova plot, it got interesting. Then it ended with probably one of the best season-enders in BSG history - four of the Final Five realizing they are Cylons, Starbuck becoming obsessed with that supernova pattern and flying into that storm, Baltar's trial and then the final battle. It was hard for them to top all that, I think.

I agree. Felt really rushed, and although there were some really great episodes (Blood on the Scales, No Exit, Someone to watch over me), it made for a not-so-great whole, IMO.

That might have been better, sure, but then again what I essentially got out of head Six's "prophecy" was that they (Caprica Six and Baltar) needed to protect and watch over Hera. They fulfilled the prophecy by taking her out of harm's way during the Cylon boarding...only to let Cavil snatch her again and put a gun to her head.:rolleyes:

I guess I was also surprised that in the end, everything came down to rescuing and protecting Hera. Never saw that coming, although it does make sense. I guess. I mean, her only significance was spiritual and not really literal. She could have died and then Baltar and C6 could have had a child just as easily, I think.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    :confused: The Databank just had an update for one entry... but it's the P2 prototype astromech droid? Not that I mind, but what prompted this entry?

25. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I downloaded them for free online, the four seasons, the webisodes, as well as the short miniseries that serves as the pilot. If I end up really liking it, I'll buy the DVDs, but I wanted to test the waters first with my computer.

I started watching the first episode ("33") and got confused, so I looked it up on wikipedia and discovered that there was a miniseries pilot. I downloaded that and watched the first half so far. Totally loving it. And thanks to all who took the time to blackout the spoilers. I've been good so far and didn't peak. [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.