Lit HAVAC IS BACK - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maxiron_Agolerga

This guy did the service. "The Pontifex was surprised by the request, as no member of the Brotherhood had presided over a marriage for 300 years, since civil ceremonies had become popular during the reign of King Narmlé" Does this tell us anything about the spiritual lives of Padmé and the Naboo? Why did Anakin and Padmé feel the need to "officially" marry (with wrong names and no records taken)?

But is this talk about Star Wars in social thread off-topic?
  2. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    This is the Lit social thread, not the JCC :p

also HAHAHAH my class just went crazy. For the first time ever, I've seen people so involved and invested in an argument that they would yell over the teacher and just keep going back and forth. It was AMAZING.
  3. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
  4. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    As an Englishman, I can confirm that yes, they are.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Whether or not it was a good thing that the CIA (allegedly) bought the Italian parliamentary elections in 1948 to prevent them going commie. Is that sort of thing an appropriate thing for the US government to be doing, and if so, is it appropriate to be doing it covertly?
  6. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought that the CIA involvement was pretty much proven - Operation Gladio, wasn't it called?

US-European relations in the Cold War is fun. From putting an SS General in charge of West German Intelligence, to the bizarre Propaganda Due/Vatican Bank shennanigans in the early 80s (which many believe might've involved the death of a Pope) it's a cornucopia of whimsy.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    It was a crazy crazy time, where black and white morals turned to shades of grey. I tried contextualizing it in its time and place, but the class exploded and half kept wanting to apply contemporary standards, etc. etc. while the other half was like law of the jungle, no rules etc. I was like errr, can't we have a reasonable middle ground here?

Weird day. Hard to think that in a month I'll be done with school forever. That kind of scares the crap out of me.
  8. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Same here, Jello. Unless I end up pursuing a Grad degree eventually, but that might not be for a while.
  9. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    It's been years and I miss academia every damn day.

Of course, having a mind-numbingly boring civil service job might have something to do with it.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Oh, great. And I'm looking to go into government, too. :p That's a good sign...

Todd, what's your major?
  11. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    I still have another year of undergrad. Grad school is my best option- not that much I can do with a history degree.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    First PG has a GoT icon, and now you? What, do I have to join in now as well?
  13. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd tell you to go find a Young Griff icon, but all of the illustrations I've seen online are really dumb looking.
  14. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
  15. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    pfft. Sansa's my favorite, but I feel like that wouldn't fit the grizzled old man theme that you and PG have going. Perhaps Selmy might do. He's my second favorite.
  16. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    A Dance With Dragons/A Storm of Swords spoilers (open)
    [IMG]
  17. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    @Jello I'm a Digital Media major, which is basically Communications but with a Bachelor of Science degree. It's broad enough that I can easily enter a variety of fields. I also added a Psychology minor last month, since I'll have taken the prerequisite amount of psych courses to qualify.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Bah. Not many good icon-ish images of the guy. I probably won't keep it for very long.
  19. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    You kids and your ever-changing icons. [face_shame_on_you]
    CooperTFN likes this.
  20. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Could be worse. On another forum I moderate, you're allowed to request a username change. I see the same people requesting names a few times a month. One member went through about ten names this year.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Hey, I kept the same icon from 2007 to 2012! :p
  22. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    At least here you can only change your name once every six months, and even then I bet repeated name changes are discouraged.
  23. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    One day, I shall go back to Duron. Yes, I shall go back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.
  24. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
  25. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, US meddling in other nations, now that can invoke an interesting discussion to say the least.