main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I know a few history majors who went on to do random stuff... mostly government and international relations, if that interests you.

Nothing wrong with grad school though if you can swing it, especially if you're not burnt out from your undergrad years. It's really unfortunate, but in today's economy continuing to grad school is often the only way to survive if you want to pursue the career whatever field interests you. It's the best way to keep up with the research in the disipline, make contacts, and land on unexpected career opportunities.

A lot of people suggest taking a year or few off after undergrad to "gain experience," but honestly -- you're going to get experience nomatter what you do. If you really love what you're doing in undergrad (especially research-type fields like history), I'd say try a year or two in grad school to at least get an MA or MS. That gives you time to really get involved in the action of whatever field you're in. (Plus -- it's easier to get grants and fellow/assistanceships when you're younger. If you wait a few years and get a job in the meantime, even a crappy one, grad programs are less willing to dole out the cash.)

Edit: Sorry Zeta, didn't see your post -- did the US start a war again?

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He's reacting to, like, half a page ago.

While we've got all you postgrads around, something I've never gotten a clear answer on: what exactly are the boundaries of which postgrad degrees one is eligible for?

I have a BS in Visual Effects and Motion Graphics, and while I've been a very active videographer since graduation, it was technically a commercial art degree and I've almost entirely been working in performance-based small arts areas. Is it possible to go from a BS to an MFA, or would I have to go back and take a certain amount of Fine Arts-specific undergrad classes--or even start over from scratch? I've even heard that certain postgrad curriculums would allow me to apply my seven years of real-world experience as actual credit and reduce the amount of further schooling I'd need.

And for that matter, what about different areas altogether? What if I wanted a MS, but in Economics? Poli-Sci?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Coop, I really think it depends on the program. I've heard of masters programs that will let you enter without any prereqs in the field, provided you have a bachelor's. Others require specific experience and courses. You might just have to look at the admissions sites of the specific universities you're interested in and see what they want.

For instance, if I wanted to go for grad school in the classics, I'd not only have to brush up my Latin (which is shockingly still pretty good), but also take an extra year of Greek unless I got some sort of badass exemption (it was suggested my poetry might get some requirements waived). However, if I wanted to get an MBA, I wouldn't need anything whatsoever. If I wanted an S.J.D., I'd have to get an LL.M first and do a thesis.

Oh, missed this earlier with all the icon talk.

You know, I've heard all about Communications as a field but have never encountered anybody actually in it, even though it's allegedly what 50% of undergrads stereotypically do. Is all the stuff they say about the field true, or do you have a lot more job prospects than that?

Barring the fact that the job market still sucks and nobody can get anything anywhere, that is.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    In my experience, there are plenty of job prospects for graduates in my program. DM, at least, covers a wide variety of fields, from film to graphic design, sound design, web design, and some other designs. It helps that I'm in one of the most technological cities in the world, where there are plenty of opportunities for media students.

Like I said, Communications/humanities are very broad, so that gives students like me a wide variety of options. It helps that I focused on several areas when taking classes.

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I was very tempted to pursue a history major due to my love of history, before I settled on a Bachelor's of Science in Computer Information Systems from DeVry University, which I should hopefully finish this summer.

No, but such discussion always brings to mind the US doing stupid things like the Iran-Contra Affair and supporting Saddam Hussein against Iran.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Barriss_Coffee I actually have considered a career with the State Department, although I have absolutely no idea what I would actually do there. I still need to start applying to grad schools, and possibly pick up a language or two along the way- I've been told that some Ancient History programs require some knowledge of Ancient Greek, of which I have absolutely no knowledge. And if I do that, I'm going to go all the way to Doctorate.

Oh, and funding will probably be a big issue, since I'm having enough issues with that at the undergrad level (and WVU is comparatively cheap).

In other news, with my Archaeology 450 exam complete and my Latin translation turned in, my spring break can now begin! [face_dancing]

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So who else, after seeing the latest Star Trek trailer, thought: "Man, I'm so glad this is the guy doing Episode VII" ?

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    You were being sarcastic right? o_O

Point Given likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm already on spring break, but all my midterms are next week. Two right away on Monday, too. :(

Still, spring break = fun! I'm going to PAX East tomorrow, so should be a good time.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Not at all. I thought the trailer was awesome, and if it's representative of the movie itself, and that awesome carries over to VII, I'll be happy.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I was planning to go camping, but with next week's weather forecast, that's looking a lot less likely.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This might sound counter-intuitive, but a lot of programs these days are increasingly selecting individuals with diverse background rather than a sole focus on one major. This means program committees aren't going to point and smirk when someone with a BA or BS in Degree X tries to apply to a program for advanced Degree Y. Granted, there are exceptions, and you've got to have some sort of experience on your CV or resume that shows you already have an interest in whatever the postgrad degree happens to be (so coming straight out of undergrad and trying for a completely different higher degree right away might not fly). In your circumstance you shouldn't have much of a problem going for a MFA from a BS -- but of course, it always depends on the individual program. I would imagine the larger programs wouldn't mind. It's those smaller super-specialized colleges you might have trouble with.

Can't speak about reducing credit, but I've heard it done. It's weird what strings you can pull once you're in a program.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My bachelor's degree is in French with a minor in business and a teaching license; my masters is in library science. The only correlation between my two degrees is that I got the certification to work in a school library, which is what I do.

My brother got a bachelor's in psychology and then got an MFA in writing; he taught at the college level for a year and then decided to go to law school. It really depends what the prospects are in your field. I sort of doubt you would have to go back and take a lot of undergrad classes though.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So is it even all that unusual, then? Did you have to justify it when you applied for the library science program, or did they not give you so much as a cocked eyebrow about it?

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As I recall, I had to write an essay about my philosophy of libraries and why I wanted to be a librarian, and submit my undergrad resumes. They were more interested on my grades than my major.

I think most programs that want you to have a bachelors in a particular area, will say so on the application or other program information. PhD programs I've looked into, all mention the need for a masters in one of several specific areas with a GPA above a certain level plus GREs above a certain level.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well -- I fear that I am thoroughly wasted. I spent an evening with people I really care about and love, and I am convinced that there is nothing more to live than thoroughly spending time with people who matter to you. In your old age, that is all that will really be of significance. It may be sentimental and mushy, but I feel that it's quite true. Nothing matters more than the memories you make with people and the experiences you have -- status, prestige, attainments, emoluments, all are as dust in comparison.

RC-1991 as far as State goes, make sure you know what you're doing. The positions available at State are few and far between, and I imagine what you'd be looking at is the Foreign Service. That in itself is a challenge -- you have an admissions exam, plus a rather intricate interview process. And then once you're in... you have to commit to at least two "hardship" posts within your first 3 deployments. You'll move around a lot, sort of as being in the military, so you have to be geographically and physically flexible. Moreover, your first deployment will invariably with the visa and consular services, which are boring as hell.

As a more comforting counter weight, ancient Greek is really easy. My lowest exam score in Greek was something like 97% (a fact which hugely embarrassed me) -- that was something like 4% less than my lowest Latin score. You just have to remember that the Greek psyche is rather different from the Roman, so they focus on different nuances in language; aspect is a thing wholly alien to Latin. Anyway, I fear I am not nearly sober enough to continue with an extended discourse on the differences between Greek and Latin grammar; suffice it to say that Greek is a thing to be anticipated with relish rather than dreaded.

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Re. University and courses: I got into the University of Melbourne to study International Studies and Japanese, and hopefully I'll work for the Depart. of Foreign Affairs one day. It's a long shot, but wtf, I figure I might as well follow my passions. I wonder if its admission is as difficult as the US' State Dept., though.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't, I like having money!

Though that is one of the things that irks greatly, that at interviews for jobs, doing it for the money is deemed insufficient motivation - HR rubbish at its finest.

You both need to ensure you get good* government jobs! (* the definition can vary greatly as to what this constitutes)

Me? Ultimately working for this pair for just over a decade in business support hasn't been dull!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, there is a major difference in political culture and operations I think between the UK and US in this respect - despite UK politicians best efforts to become more American-style. That difference? Non-political staff that execute the politician's aims.

The US system is more politician gets elected, brings their own people in, gets booted out, those people go. But, unlike the UK, there tends to be a built in transitional period to enable such changes with minimal impact on activity. If the same was done in the UK it'd be anarchy, as there'd be no transition and everyone wanting to re-invent the wheel.

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Gorefiend likes this.
  20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Still waiting for both Empire II (they could easily add the orient as another playable area) and for my package to arrive from the UK.

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Believe me, I could be making more money doing academia/research.

Yeah, that bothered me a lot growing up, especially having a very business-oriented dad. Eventually, I just accepted the nonsense you have to go through as a form of ritualism.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, if that's so and you have the skills and the interest B, quite seriously, what's stopping you? Guess academia pays better in the US, it certainly doesn't in the UK, at least not for humanities. Science is a different matter but PhD tends to be the entry qualification.

As to salary, I do think it is what will attract people to a job - but it can't be your only motivation to really do well in a job, professional satisfaction and pride is every bit as important, but that comes from doing a job and building a reputation for doing it well.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well -- here's another interesting social thread "status update"; I am sitting here having my hair done by one of my friends.

Yes. You read that correctly.

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Did, you dilettante--you're having your hair did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.