main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    MST3K had a gag where they went to Ancient Rome and attempted a toga party... which failed, because as they pointed out, they were all wearing togas anyways. So they decided to have a 'pants party' instead, which became a big hit. [face_laugh]

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Which just makes it all the more fitting, especially if they also dress up a few of those well build firemen. :D

Just insures that they can’t run away to fast.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Um -- the hell?

4. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh äh... second answer might have raised unfortunate implications that were in no way intended.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, thank goodness. And this, my friends, is why I feel decidedly uncomfortable with the frat mentality. Knowing those types, they probably would've full well meant those implications. I have no intention of encouraging or participating in such nonsense, even if it's "young fun" or whatever. There are a lot of things that I am certainly not sorry that I missed out on.

edit: So that this post isn't entirely a downer, I'll clarify that Roman women wore either tunicae, chitones, or peploi (along with a palla and stola if one was married) -- along with a strophium, of course. Because there's nothing more exciting than Roman fashion, is there? If I could get a decent pair of hobnailed Roman caligae, I'd probably wear them in place of flipflops or sandals... :p

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]

Gorefiend likes this.
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
  8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    A friend just showed me this pretty funny advertisement :)

[​IMG]
    The slogan basically is „You will only find more helmets on the Death Star“.

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Absolutely nothing wrong with despising frat mentality. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that it should be the natural response.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like where this went...

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey those aren't togas!!

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So, I never read fanfiction...

... but when I do, it's stuff like Forward, a Firefly fanfic. I went into it very skeptical (all I really know about Fanfic is its reputation), but there are times when I'm glad I'm wrong. Remarkably good, and as of about halfway through it, seems to only be getting better. He writes a phenomenal River; "First Interlude" is downright beautiful (never, ever thought I'd use that word in regard to fanfiction). Aside from the increased violence, it does feel like it could have been written by Whedon.

Thank you TVtropes, great recommendation. Worth a shot if you're bored or avoiding writing a paper.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I only read fanfiction that's been personally recommended to me. It's like finding a needle in a haystack if you want to look for quality fanfiction... but it DOES exist. Publius -- of DomusPublica fame -- writes some great, EU-arcana-heavy Imperial fanfic, for instance. There was also this weird Luke AU fanfic that Dunc and sabarte recommended to me way back when that I never finished, because it's positively gargantuan.

(In other news, I believe I mentioned having to do an oral presentation last week? I got my grade back: B+ . suuuuuuuuucks.)

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    YES, PLEASE!

("Standalone DLC"? Why not just call it, you know, a "game"?)

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I think you still need the original game to play that’s why ist DLC but apparently (unless they have an amazing writer) not related to the original game. :D

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No, it's completely standalone. That's why I think referring to it as DLC at all is kind of weird.

Anyway, I *thought* I recognised that narrator... and it turns out I did.

Gonna have to buy this on principle, now.

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Talking about grades, I recently got the best bit of back-talk by a student ever: When I told him to quit drawing Star Destroyers on his desk he looked at me like I was crazy and protested: "That's no Star Destroyer! That's an Acclamator-class cruiser!"

I guess I'll have to be more exact in my admonishments in the future.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    A future Fleet Junkie [face_dancing]

21. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Want!
    Where do I find this?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    http://web.archive.org/web/20120717000110/http://www.domuspublica.net/inventions.html

The site is now dead, so archive.org is the only place to get them. My favorite stories are the Silver Fox stories, but they're not all labeled as such, so I'd just read the stories from the top down. "The Good Old Days," "The Life and Times of a Rounding Error," and "The Emperors" are also fun.

"The Test of Wills," at the bottom, is an attempt at a Dark Empire novelization.

You gave him an A, I hope!

23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Report to the Fleet Junkies thread within twenty-four standard hours for reeducation.

24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    We have a tutorial prepped and ready to go. :p

--Adm. Nick

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Item #1: Describe the following image.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.