main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You should ask them to pose shirtless. Say it's for a school project.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's a great idea!

Oh, did you mean the firemen?

instantdeath likes this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    My comment is open to each reader's personal interpretation. I'm artistic like that.

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I made a riddle quest to my sister's birthday, one clue leading to another until at the end there was candy. One of these clues was "The ancient alchemists tried to make gold using this" and the next clue was hidden in Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone. No one got it until I gave a hint. What's wrong with children's education these days?

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Yes, despite all the setup, I'm resigned to the fact that Jeff/Annie is not going to be resolved this season. I was also a Jack/Sam fan on Sg1, so it would not be the first time. I'd much prefer no resolution with implied potential for Jeff/Annie to happen in the future than for the show to regress the characters to the point where Jeff/Britta is viable again, essentially nullifying a good chunk of the character arcs for Jeff, Britta, Annie, and Troy. But that is a different subject.

The dean has gone from an interesting quirky, ineffectual character with a fetish for dalmatians to a one note character whose main trait is not an obsession with Jeff that involves constant unwanted touching and moving next door in creepy stalkerish fashion. I guess they will have to push that further if they want it to cross the line twice and become funny again, rather than creepy.

Annie's big secret in the recent episode was having trouble in history so let the professor rub her feet in exchange for answers on a test was flat out terrible. 1. Annie has far more self respect than that. 2. Annie is the most studious of the group, and not only the least likely one to be having problems in history, the least likely one to resort to cheating. Annie is the type to drive herself into the ground studying, not trade her body for a way to cheat a better grade. 3. She was visibly creeped out by the professor when Cornwallis admitted to having an indiscretion with a coed at Oxford. 4. Not only Annie but no-one else had any sort of reaction to either the cheating (this is the same school that put Britta on trial for cheating in season 1) or the misconduct by the professor.

Jeff, in an attempt to provoke a reaction from Chang, not only invited his ex-wife, but forced himself on a woman for a kiss, in a scene that ignores his character development as becoming a better person, but plays (mild) sexual assault as a joke.

Well, to be fair, the much more common response to that riddle would be lead, not the philosopher's stone.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How old? My son (8 next month) is reading that one now; he just finished the chapter where the trio finds Fluffy guarding the trap door. I may need to do a re-read myself; I think it's been about three years since my last one.

Spent part of last night researching PhD programs; back on that today.

7. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    She is now twelve, the guests were between that and eleven. The age group where you have just been disappointed about not getting the Hogwarts letter*. And AdmiralWesJanson, I worded the original riddle a little better, there was no problem in that. They had trouble with the word alchemist.

I'm just in middle of a re-read myself, Chapter 3 in The Chamber of Secrets.

*I wasn't disappointed about not getting into Hogwarts, I knew it was in Britain and I wasn't. I thought that there could be a school in my country, probably in Lapland.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Reminds me of a story my trusts & estates professor told me. Her final exam had a fact pattern that said something like "the woman established a non-revocable inter-vivos testamentary trust [instead of a will], and her paramour would take over as trustee upon her death to distribute the trust income to [beneficiaries, with conditions blah blah] and the principle would vest in [insert final recipient of the money here.]"

So basically you are supposed to write your exam about what the potential issues are with that trust: issues with how it was created, with who the money is going to, blah blah blah.

One of her students wrote: "I don't know what a paramour is... I think it's some kind of dog, and you're not allowed to appoint your dog as a trustee."

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Are there no legal euphemisms for paramour? I'm surprised.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Damn. The only law I've studied has been related to First Amendment and copyright issues, and even I know what a paramour is.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I think the idea was that it is a fairly well-known English word in general. It has no particular legal significance. The professor apparently called everyone she knew and read that answer aloud to them. That's crossing a line I think, but well -- this professor never tired of telling us funny stories about students and clients.

There might be? T&E is basically the only area of law that I've studied that would involve them though. I've tried to stay away from family law, tax, or anything involving actual people. ew. :p

edit: Although to be fair, reading actual cases about how horrible people are. My favorites are when it involves things like mistresses, affairs, theft, family drama, etc. It's like a class about gossip and how people want to screw each other.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The law firm I work at (in the copy room, don't get excited) specializes in medical malpractice lawsuits. As someone with a rough medical history myself, I tend to sympathize automatically with the plaintiffs, but holy god do some of these people put that to the test.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The final episode of Spartacus made me cry. :(

Am I supposed to admit things like that? I don't care. I will.

Even the credits were bittersweet.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think I would have the patience. And the cases with divorcing parents behaving like toddlers and using their children as pawns...I would last about one day before getting fired for telling people to grow the **** up before they reproduce.

My brother complained the most about property law. He's a tax attorney. Of course when I asked him for help when I was studying copyright law and prefaced my request with "how in the hell did you read this stuff all day?", his response was along the lines of, yeah, that's not exactly the most exciting area of law.

I enjoyed the First Amendment stuff though. I found it hilarious how afraid some people are of exposing the public to ideas they don't like. [face_laugh]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I don't suppose these cases would happen to be available for public consumption?

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Just negotiated with that guy named Stannis. Not gonna lie, I was at a disadvantage because his very name intimidated me. :p I kept feeling like I was negotiating with Stannis the Mannis.

My favorite case was this guy who went on a trip to Latin America, brought back a mistress, lived with her in a summer house in NYC and gave her joint access to his banking account to let her buy things for herself. Then he fell into a coma, and when that happened his daughter came back to care for him and told the mistress to take a hike. She withdrew all the money from the bank account, and left. When he came out of the coma he tried to get his money taken back, saying that she had no authority to do that. The court was like nope, you dolt, you gave her joint ownership, so she can take how much she wants and you'll just have to explain to your wife why you have no more money.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, sounds like something that would happen to Mark Sanford.

jSarek likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They're all published. However, you'd probably have to buy or check out a casebook since the search engines for legal research charge hundreds of dollars per inquiry. Sometimes you can get lucky and have them available on google....

http://www.jamesfuqua.com/lawyers/jokes/bolivia.shtml (despite the URL, this is a real case)

I mean, when you're just reading about it in school it's funny. If they were my actual clients, oh god, I'd feel the same way as you would. This is why I could never work with actual people. I'd rather work with issues of actual import (and abstraction!)... like war and peace or constitutional law. :p

Although some cases are pretty whack, and make you angry even when it's just in a book. Don't get me started on "rape week" in first year criminal law... some of the cases (almost all of them) were infuriating, not least b/c they're describing awful acts by awful people, but also because sometimes courts and juries are total jerks about it.

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Not malpractice, but we had a case where a couple bought a can of hair spray at Rite-Aid, then left it sitting out on their radiator until it exploded and scalded both of them. At which point, they sued the company that made the hair spray, the company that made the radiator, and, of course, Rite-Aid.

20. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Please tell me they lost.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Still ongoing. A lot of our cases are situations where someone will sue as many people as they possibly can, knowing that if even one of them chooses to settle it'll have been worth it. Most of them never even get to trial--our job is basically to keep the settlements as low as possible.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, this guy was known for particularly hilarious opinions. Sadly, he is also a total scumbag. He is the first federal judge to be impeached since the 80s (he sexually abused his female employees).

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Yeah, I remember that story. Didn't realize it was him until I looked it up. Unfortunate.

25. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Stop this discussion! This is the end. It's all over. Nothing to see anymore. Just this one commentary for Game of Thrones Season 2 Finale. Go back to your homes.

Or, go here, where you can read the commentary in all its glory. Better than reading 2000 words in italics.
    And the final surprise references StarKidPotter's song Days of Summer, which you should have on background to get anything. Enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.