main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He's also a big environmentalist -- he's added a new requirement to obtaining his royal warrant so that purveyors of goods have to prove that they're environmentally sustainable before he'll grant one.

Of course, being an environmentalist is exactly what makes him unpopular in Britain (among other things).

He'd probably say Morsi deserved it for being lousy, but that repeated military-led governmental overthrows don't bode well for the democratic process because they set a bad precedent. He'd say that his opponents are probably using his poor leadership as an excuse for sour grapes so they can overturn the results of last year's election, and essentially get a do-over.

Part of the thing about being a modern democracy is that if the current leader sucks you have to wait until the next election to replace him, and you don't just get to do coups all the time.

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Tell that to Gray Davis! :p

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah but a recall election is still an election :p Arnold didn't go up to Sacramento and throw Davis out of the governor's mansion :p

edit: also how is that *I* am the one defending elections here?? :p

jSarek likes this.
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]

Whether you're American or not, the Declaration of Independence is one of the most significant events in world history, announcing the birth of a nation based on principles of liberty, justice, and equality, and soon founded upon what remains some of the most sophisticated political theory ever. It embodied a new way of thinking about human and civil rights, political organization, and citizenship that ultimately changed the world.

While we Americans celebrate a holiday -- and I wish everybody celebrating a great day -- I think it behooves everyone to take a moment to reflect on just how remarkable an achievement this is and how much we owe to its makers.

Happy Independence Day, everybody![face_flag]

5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    This is how I'll be celebrating:

[​IMG]

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Screw July 4th. Today marks the day of the Cad Bane does he contradict the EU official closure.

I don't know whether I should be thanking Jello profusely or cursing his name.

... actually, scratch that, I'm thanking him. Special thanks also goes out for Lazy Storm Trooper, who took the initiative to cripple the thread so that our noble mod could give it a mercy kill. At least it died surrounded by friends and loved ones.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Cad Bane -- Does He Contradict a Sense of Humor?[face_whistling]

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is the worst 4th July since the first 4th July.

Urgh.

(That being said, I will raise a glass of scotch in the Americans' honour. Right now. For an excuse.)

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    AdmiralNick22: Didn't you say 1776 was one of your favorite movies? I think I'm gonna watch it. By nature I rarely watch musicals. Can you guarantee that I will not be disappointed? I hear it has a dancing John Adams or something.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I think Jaws is this year's fourth of July movie...corporate greed endangering unknowing American's lives seems an appropriate theme for this year :p

Gorefiend and Point Given like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought that was what Wall-E was about.

Happy Fourth everyone. [face_flag]. It is worth noting that the French "Declaration des Droits de L'Homme et du Citoyen," passed in 1789, is very similar to the Declaration of Independence.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Wall-E doesn't have a giant shark though.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Just wait til Finding Wall-E debuts.

(If that doesn't have the giant fishy scent of corporate greed, I dunno what does.)

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Happy 4th! I'll be celebrating by working and getting holiday double pay! Yay America! [face_flag] [​IMG] [face_flag]

15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I like that it's called the July 4th so that it has a certain "Happy Tuesday"-ring to non-Americans.

I think I'll watch Jaws as well today. That movie was so scary when I watched it for the first time... when I was 18. It's climax is the best example of something that part of the time makes you laugh for the sheer absurdity and rest of the time makes you wet your pants.

And Cad Bane thread is down? Will I now be able to vote for it as the best EU work of 2013?

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    BEST. MOVIE. EVER.

No joke, I just got up here in CA, and I will start my Independence Day as I always do, by watching 1776. Dancing & singing Founding Fathers, with the appropriate mix of humor & seriousness, makes for one awesome experience. :D

[​IMG]

"And just as Tom here has written, though the shell may belong to Great Britain, the eagle inside, belongs to US!" [face_flag]

--Adm. Nick

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I.......

...........is that a singing Ben Franklin? Are you telling me this movie features a melodious Ben Franklin??

WHY WAS I NOT AWARE THIS EXISTED EARLIER?:(

jSarek likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

Have you finally been flagged as inappropriate? :D

(It took me too long to come up with that. I'm sorry!)

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    They all sing! Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Hancock, Lee, and the rest of the Continental Congress sing and dance, all while debating the great question of independence. [face_flag]

--Adm. Nick

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It was certainly the most hilarious.

You people have managed to outdo some of the YJCC threads. Kudos.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I just got a trophy for being here 14 years. This has ceased to be proud news. In other news...

NOOOOO!!!

:_|

22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Your welcome. At least it went out with a bang ny reaching 1, 000.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh c'mon guys, the thread lasted five months longer than it should have. It was fun, but needed to be put out of its misery because the joke was getting worn.

25. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Now do I get jokes about me? I mean I killed the unkillable thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.