main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I can't stand Thanksgiving food. The day that everyone else in America gorges themselves has traditionally been the day I go hungry.

For some reason Thanksgiving really brings out the Debbie Downer in me.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    See, I'm such a glutton, I can't help but love it all. I swear, the way I eat, I should be over 200 lbs, but for now my metabolism is in my favor. ;)

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Gorefiend Ah, Trooping the Colour. The one time the whole royal family assembles to party. Good times.

AdmiralNick22 Same to you! 10k's a great milestone.

I will also celebrate, although I have to make sure people don't celebrate with good amounts of questionable wine... ;)

Hmm. Perhaps we can find some seafood...

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    GrandAdmiralJello

Worry not about the wines from me. We have two nice Pinot Noirs (one from Russian River Valley, the other from Santa Barbara area), a nice Napa Sauvignon Blanc, and a ice wine from Washington state that I am excited to try. I have only had Canadian ice wines to date, so it should be fun.

--Adm. Nick

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ice wines are a lot of fun. We don't have very exciting whites, but we do have a Tasmanian wine I really liked a few years ago -- sadly it's probably a Merlot because I was stupid back then. Aside from that, nothing really special. I need to host a Thanksgiving party myself -- I have much better wines back at my apartment.

...I do have some great pisco sitting around here though.

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    IT'S NEITHER THURSDAY NOR THANKSGIVING.

[​IMG].

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Funny thing is, Jack, my sister's boyfriend is at his home in Australia and we face-timed with him. He was just waking up. :p

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jello: I quit drinking Merlot several years ago myself.

Happy Friday in late spring, Future-Boy Jack. [face_party]

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ugh. Worst part about hosting Thanksgiving at home: all the stupid baby cousins biting and throwing and ruining your stuffed animals.

...I mean, uh.

10. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Can't wait till the first getting two free 360 games Battlefield 3 Premium Edition (won a bet with my dad) and the next Games with Gold title. Consider me happy. :)

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

It is also the only true parade :p

12. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I remember that there was at least one other Starkid fan here, so: Twisted is up on Youtube, and it is glorious. More songs than ever before and they are all great. And once again I had feelings. Some of them weird.
    This is all your fault Jafar.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It was amazing! Best one yet!

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It has nothing on a Roman Triumph.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Time to put the stuffed animals into storage, Jello. Save them for when you have kids of your own one day.

--Adm. Nick

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Storage? Would you put your childhood in a box? Don't be silly.

My old rooms here encapsulate different time periods. One is childhood and the other is for when I was a teenager. One has stuffed animals and star was books, the other has sculptures, paintings, and many many volumes. But it turns out that annoying children generally don't try to eat paintings.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

instantdeath likes this.
  17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yes, that is where the majority of it is. Memories and experiences are still dear, but I don't need to see my old Snoopy, my collection of Star Wars Micro Machines, or my Legos. They are safely stored in boxes, waiting the day for when I have children and they get to experience them. Given your fondness for Disney animated films, I will say that this is simply part of the "circle of life". [face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    But I am also fond of museums. Old things ought to be seen and displayed. Each room is its own gallery -- its own period of Jello.

Plus, I don't live here so I don't see these things but once or twice a year anyhow.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

jSarek likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no idea where my childhood toys are, other than a couple of dolls that my Mom keeps at her house; my niece plays with them when she visits.

20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I actually really like this way of thinking. So many people equate "growing up" with forgetting everything that made you yourself during your formative years.

Granted, there might be some things best left forgotten

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Anything I have left is probably stuffed in a box in a closet somewhere, awaiting the day I get around to selling it off or destroying it.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, my actual toys are stuffed into a toy box, and said box is in storage (can't display a box after all). But as stuffed animals were never in a box to begin with, they're all on the book case along with countless issues of NatGeo, SciAm, young adult and EU books, etc.

I did, at one point, consider selling off a bunch of random SW collectibles I'd have over the years considering how useless they are, and how I have no desire to use them as display pieces at my place right now (really I find collectibles of that sort troublesome: by the time you're old enough to afford them, you're too old to have them around).

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There is a big difference between boxing stuff up and "forgetting". ;)

As I said above, just because I don't have He-Man action figures on the mantle and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle bed sheets any more doesn't mean I am any less fond of those memories. Far from it. But, as we age, we do tend to put certain things away or focus on different interests or priorities. Yes, yes, I know I am sounding every bit of the 30 year old I am, but it is true. I am 5-10 years older than many of my fellow posters, so trust me when I say you might be surprised how different you may be in a decade or so.

For me, it is all about balance. When people come to my house, I don't mind if they notice some of the Star Wars books on my living room bookcase or the A New Hope poster in my office. However, I do feel that as we age and travel farther & farther into adulthood, there is something to be said about putting aside some aspects of childhood. That is how we all gain maturity and grow. Could I have Lego castles & ships in my house? Sure. Do I want to as a 30 year old man? No, not for me.

Please don't think I am trying to pass judgment on anyone. Different strokes for different folks. BUT, don't be surprised if in time you come to see things my way. Age has a funny way of doing things to us. :p

--Adm. Nick

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, I'll be 42 in a couple of weeks. I think that's why I barely remember what the hell I played with, much less where any of it is. :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Don't worry Nick, I'm told that my actual place looks as boring and as staid as a history/art museum. :p

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.