main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Funnily enough I just saw somebody post another insipid fb quiz, this time with their result as Magneto.

That scene in X2 is amazing.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

You are hereby granted the official Imperial Seal of Approval.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Now that's an Imperial Seal!

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Clearly an impostor. He lacks the necessary purple robes of state.

[​IMG]

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Best tangent ever.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Good example. It is really hard to overemphasize the incredibly long and fierce rivalry between France and England, yet after World War One they almost instantly turned around and became best friends forever.

Thanks.

Personally, I am most interested in Blackmarsh: the description given by in-game books makes it so delightfully weird, like Morrowind was in the game of the same name. Admittedly, Cyrrodil and the Sunset Islands have been painfully...Genericized....but what I have seen of Blackmarsh still looks good.

Judging by the map: http://images.uesp.net/8/88/ON-map-Regions_(labelled).jpg, Vvardenfell isn't used in the intial launch, though I suppose we have no idea what's down the line.

Like in the CG trailer I imagine. Which I thought was really badass.

We have? Cool - I want to see Argonian and Khajit armor!

I think yours is a Sea Lion.

Indeed! :D

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    While he wasn't involved with the development of TES:eek:, Michael Kirkbride seems to have some inside knowledge of it- he mentioned in his AMA on r/teslore a while back that TES:eek: is doing some cool stuff with Argonians.

I think my biggest visual beef with TES:eek: is Summerset Isle. From what I remember of the released publicity shots, Altmer architecture looked like a cross between Castle Dour and the temple of Almalexia in Mournhold, while is all kinds of wrong. As for Cyrodiil, the writing has been on the wall since 2006.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah but it even breaks the stupid explanation that MK came up with for Cyrodiil. Now it's just all stupid to appease Oblivion fanboys. That still annoys me. I wanted my Roman-temples-in-the-rainforest look, dammit! Gleaming white marble covered in green vines would've been so unique. :(

Summerset has a lot of Mournhold-ish architecture, along with vaguely Japanese-looking fauna -- lots of cherry trees and such.

Merc, the Imperial armors seen in the trailer are the heavy armors I think. We haven't seen light or medium sets yet. As for the others, you can see them in the beta. If you haven't played it, character-creation has a nice feature where you can see your characters kitted out in early or high level gear while you make them: and each class has a corresponding type of armor (though since this is a TES game, any character in any class can wear any armor) and each race has its own unique style of armor (but again, anyone can wear it).

10. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    This pleases me.

Alas, too true. (I also think it looks a fair bit like a mix between LOTR and WOW elven archeticure. Which is by no means bad, but not as interesting as the old descriptions.)

Too true. Just like it is a shame that Summerset Island won't have the glass and insect wing look, with "a hypnotic swirl of ramparts and impossibly high towers, designed to catch the light of the sun and break it to its component colors, which lie draped across its stones until you are thankful for nightfall."

Why people choose to take something fresh and unique and make it familiar I'll never understand...I mean, creativity is hard, but when the creative already exist, how can that not inspire?

Heavy and Medium I think: the imperial archers are wearing different armor than the axe guy, and it reminds me of the light imperial armor from Skyrim, though more face concealing.

Ah. I assume that is limited access?

That sounds awesome.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, character creation is really good. Better than Skyrim actually, which is surprising for an MMO. The character models are really detailed, and have lots of random accessories you can add to them (including the ability for scars/freckles/other features to apply to more than just your face!). There's also a slider range of facial features if you aren't really good at tweaking the regular sliders, that adjusts all your overall features from "angular" to "heroic" to "soft" -- so you can get a sort of gestalt portrait idea without being some crazy face artist.

And yeah, you had to sign up for the beta. I imagine one still can, who knows?

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The beta is in a stress test right now... it ends at 11:59 pm EST tonight. I'm trying to get to level 10 so I can check out Cyrodiil, because I didn't spend much time playing it over the weekend because I didn't have time.

13. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I will definitely have to check that out then. Thanks everyone!

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So, I'm pretty much sold on the character class/skill system, as it were. It merges the general MMO tropes with Elder Scrolls versatility. It's unfortunately not quite as versatile, insofar as that you have to pick one of four classes and you're stuck with that class and its skills, but all armor and weapons skills are universal. So you can pick sorcerer or templar and get magic or healing skills, but play it as a warrior either way, and be a battlemage or spellsword type character, or paladin type character.

My biggest concern is that the MMO format might kill the exploration element. It is my understanding that zones are separated by level with enemies laid out by zone, so I would guess that you can't go to most places like you are able to do in Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim to explore off the bat. Starting the game you're stuck in a starting zone that you have to do a questline to complete, which actually isn't that long as you can skip the option quests though I suppose you might want to level up before leaving. Ebonhart Pact starts on an island in Eastmarch off the coast of Skyrim, and you go to Morrowind by boat afterward.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't mind that. I hated the auto-leveling system of Oblivion and Skyrim; I felt like in Morrowind, if you ventured places you weren't supposed to, you'd get killed :p

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ah, the Elder Scrolls series. The one place where Jello & I agree. Both of us our loyal Imperial citizens, fighting to uphold the Empire, restore peace and order to Tamriel, and hold off the depredations of the High Elves. My whole purpose in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim was to uphold the Empire!

IMPERIAL LEGION 4-EVER! [face_love]

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Elder Scrolls is also one of the few universes where I am pro-Imperial, and I join the Legion every game where that is possible.

In other news: I have been accepted in the History Doctorate program of Hawaii!

I have no idea if I will be able to get the money I need to actually go there, but just to get into the top ranked world history school...especially when my advisers said that I probably couldn't and I applied very near the end of applying season...it is quite elating!

Gamiel and DigitalMessiah like this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I kind of wish the Imperials would get back to being depicted as they were in Morrowind with a little more knightly aesthetic to them than purely Roman.

I'm thinking I'm going to try playing through Daggerfall with this engine upgrade I found and used for playing through Dark Forces again.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I feel obligated to point out that the only reason I decided to side with the Imperial Legion in my first playthrough of Skyrim is because of Jello and Nick. Okay, not the only reason, the Roman influence didn't hurt matters either.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Merc: So when you finish your program, are you DoctorMercenaryAce, MercenaryDoctorAce, MercenaryAceDoctor, or what? Or would you be dropping one and going for MercenaryDoctor, DoctorMercenary, AceDoctor, DoctorAce?

Actually, no, don't do the last two... they make you sound like an egotistical med student :p

Look again. They were pretty much completely Roman in Morrowind -- their armor was modeled straight off of the film gladiator, and their swords were oversized gladii (not narrow enough to be spathae). Lots of mods give the legion stupid knight looking armor, which is what you might be thinking of. The Legion had ranks of knight protector and knight bachelor, but the only knightly armor they had was the Silver Dukesguard Cuirass for the Imperial Guard (and notably the Guard is not part of the legion). The civilians, on the other hand, dressed like 18th century Brits. :p

It was Oblivion that made them look like knights, as part of its "unabashedly steal from the LOTR movies" schtick.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So they went from emulating Ridley Scott to Peter Jackson? :p

22. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Are you not entertained?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I like the Septim Empire, and I do like the aesthetic of Morrowind better than Oblivion. I was going to say that I did like the Imperial Dragon Armor -- but I'm not sure about that anymore.

At least you can join the Order of the Dragon:
    [​IMG]

I wanted my Dragonborn to join that. I really like the art style to these icons:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is one element of The Elder Scrolls Online which I haven't experienced and I'm excited about with regard to the skill system, joining the different factions or otherwise getting other skill sets like vampire or werewolf that you can level.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, having art to represent factions (and your rank within the factions) was one of the few things I liked about Oblivion.

But the Order of Ebonheart > Order of the Dragon -- you had to work harder to get it. :p

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Chrysamere just brought to mind the question of how TESO will handle Daedric artifacts. If everyone has one, they aren't exactly artifacts. :p

And I think I might actually go Daggerfall Covenant. High Rock seems to be the feudal setting of Tamriel, and that interests me, and I'm interested in the Alik'r Desert now after playing through the starting zone for the covenant. And as you said, we've already seen Morrowind and Skyrim. High Rock will likely look different than this:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.