main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The best thing about GoT spoilers is that I can read them and understand so little that I'm still not really spoiled.

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    It was his sled!

Speaking of that movie (no spoiler warnings, it's 80 years old) when I finally watched it the twist for me was not that it was his sled, it was that he had it the whole time. I thought that he lost it and was sad about that. Then again he could have simply displaced it in his giant pile of stuff and was sad that couldn't go to sled.

Speaking of sledding: why are the sleds sold in the stores so small? I haven't fit in one for years.

krtmd likes this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Because manufacturers think that adults don't sled.

Though, the multi-kid sleds are usually big enough for an adult. Sometimes.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I like the Game of Thrones armors. Heck, sometimes I go find crowd scenes with lots of soldiers and pause so I can appreciate them a bit better.

Tyrell stuff especially. Both of Loras' suits of armor have really cool vine motifs (first one goes a bit overboard with it, but it is tourney armor and supposed to be flashy), and even the more basic soldier designs have subtle flower motifs.
    I also love the Iron Islander armor and its ocean camo look.

If I had a complaint, it is that they tend to be a bit too uniform for feudal armies, but I understand that they want the sides to be easily identifiable in battle scenes. Still, the main characters should have unique armor at least.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I hate everything about you.

The show may have decent clothes, but really, it can't brag about visuals. At all. The whole point of a visual adaptation is to bring the spectacle to life -- the fantastic sights, the action, the grandeur. But the show has no flair. The budget can't sustain spectacle. They have to keep the showy stuff offscreen as much as possible, the action is mediocre if it's shown at all, it can't go big, the visual design is dreary, and it's just not conveying scale or grandeur or visual excitement well. I mean, the Red Wedding is like five random guys stabbing a handful of people in the most boringly shot manner possible inside a brown barn. It's just not doing its job as an adaptation at all, aside from the acting aspect.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Having watched Citizen Kane recently myself, I did a double take at that as well. I knew the twist ahead of time (thanks, Family Guy), but assumed the sled had been long lost, the message being that we often ignore what makes us happy until it's too late to do anything about it. However, being Citizen Kane, there could be an uber deep message in there about how we so often ignore what's right in front of us in order to pursue what society tells us we should want: money, power, prestige, when all of that means precisely nothing when you're at deaths door. As Traknar also mentioned, there might also be some commentary society's, particularly a 1940's society, view on aging. Though the sled was the only thing that made him truly happy, he could never take advantage of it even if he was fully aware he still had it: it would not be proper, after all, for an aging billionaire business tycoon to ride a children's sled. Instead, he's expected to take pleasure in "sophisticated" things that have long since lost any meaning to him. It's all pointless, because all he has at the end is regrets. Nihilistic movie, that Citizen Kane.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was unspoiled, since I first watched the film aaaaages ago, and I'm a little surprised that people who know what's going on still miss the point of it. I thought it relatively simple: he misses the joys of being a kid, and all the ostentation about Vanadu is empty and unfulfilling. It's not particularly sophisticated: you could find the message in a children's film. I find Kane a lot more remarkable on a technical and filmatic level than an intellectual one. But I suppose all the cinephile critics who gush over it probably don't actually read books. Not to deny the film its due artistic merit: its brilliance is not in the depth of the message, but how it's conveyed.

Merc -- yeah, I know the armor you refer to be it still pales with the fancifulness of the books. It's not that they were unable to do it, but they made a conscious aesthetic choice that I disagree with to favor a realistic but ornate look over a fantasy look.

Hav -- you and trip are like Waldorf and Stadler, good grief. It's one thing to object to design choices -- I'm right with you on the RW -- but another to be upset they don't have an unlimited budget. Everything is cramped and small scale and I hate it too, but it's what they do with it that matters.

Also understand that my praise is for the artists, set designers, and CG people and not the show runners. I dislike the people who cut and write the show, and think most of the alterations and original contributions are bad.

But I think that the Red Keep looks great. I think the doublets and dresses look great. I think that Qarth and the Ghiscari cities look great.

Yeah, they don't show the battles. Yeah the Hand's tourney was tiny. Yeah the Iron Throne is a pointy office chair. But what do you want? It's already hideously expensive and it's not like they'd be able to handle the scale if they fired all the hookers.

I'm with you when you object to a bad choice they made. But I can't follow your criticisms of things that cannot be realized outside a cartoon.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought Citizen Kane was just decent. Best film of 1941 besides The Maltese Falcon, no doubt, but best of all time? Not even close.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello:

They could have made it a cartoon though. I would have liked that at least. But I suppose most people don't take cartoons seriously, so a fantasy cartoon would be a double whammy....

Course, there is plenty of artwork and a few videogames out there that take an even more realistic and plain approach, despite not having the same kind of budget concerns. Indeed, I have seen more complaints that the show designs being too fanciful than not fanciful enough.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My recommendations would be to start with these 2 case files:

Volume 2: Has the Dredd epics The Cursed Earth and Judge Caligula. Cursed Earth is notable for showing a softer, slightly more idealistic Dredd - if you read it, I think you'll see what I mean.

Volume 5: This has the one to end them all: Block Mania / The Apocalypse War - truly epic in every sense of the bok.

Both volumes will be in the region of at least 300 pages, black and white art.

Either in Volumes 3 or 4, there is, I think the first Judge Death story, though that later featured in Judge Anderson too.

Oh and talking of 2000AD: Grab Nikolai Dante Volume 1, Volumes 2 and 3 are out in the US later this year and volume 3 is infamous for the UK edition being out of print. It's one of the most ambitious comics you'll ever read.

(I think there are now US as well as UK editions but they should be identical)

instantdeath likes this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The old Rush fan in me is raging at the misspelling of Xanadu :p

But I do agree that Citizen Kane's genius doesn't lie in its message or even its writing, but its cinematography (though I would argue that, for 1941, the message at the heart of the movie isn't quite so cliche as to be the stuff of children's films, though it would have been well trodden ground for anyone who reads). Still, it's worth noting that the end idea might not be so cut-and-dry; after all, every thing we know about Kane, aside from his dying words, come from unreliable narrators. It's likely that at its core it is simply as it appears, a remembrance for lost innocence and so on. Knowing Welles himself, though, and considering the rest of the movie, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a tinge of the societal criticism I mentioned in there, as well. And if there wasn't, I'm sure he would have told you there was.

Todd, I agree in a sense. Like you, I wasn't exactly enthralled with the movie (though I was interested), and I tend to avoid terms like "best film of all time" anyway. I do, however, think it deserves a good deal of its acclaim for its innovative cinematography alone. That said, I would never, ever want to be in one of those classes that watches the film, pausing it any time someone wishes so that they may discuss a particular frame or scene. That would be pure torture.

Gamiel and Cynical_Ben like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, the video games are just a disgrace. So is the CK2 GoT mod. Nobody does it right.

I love The Maltese Falcon. When I was on a noir kick during my younger days, I'd have called it my favorite film. Now I'm more about epics, with a general appreciation for historical films in general. Problem is that there hasn't been a true epic in ages (high budget period piece is not a synonym for epic, nor is lazy sword and sandal) and a lot of historical films are mindlessly derivative. Blergh.

There are rarely films that I find standout. I can't even remember what my favorite film of 2012 was. I liked The King's Speech from a few years ago but that was more subject matter than actual quality. Everyone knows what I thought of Frozen from last year, but it's my only annual favorite in recent memory to be an all-time favorite. And of course, it's a not even historical or an epic but rather a princess fairy tale. Though I guess it had epic princesses.

I often wonder what it was like to see great films as they came out. David Lean is one of my favorite directors, and there was a time that he could do no wrong. Did people at the time know they were witnessing greatness or did people just see them as good movies?

We don't get that anymore. Maybe we got it for animation in the 90s, but the closest thing we get now are the crazy people who rave about films like Pacific Rim. I had to see it again recently and while it's a surprisingly ok film, it's not something I'd ever wanted to see again. But folks talk about it as the culmination of its genre. Maybe it is. But it's a crappy genre :p

(I've probably offended some people here, haven't i?)

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    CRITICIZE PACIFIC RIM!? HOW DARE YOU!!!

:p lol, no, I know Pac Rim isn't that amazing a film, but it's that type of film I love- just simple, highly entertaining schlock. While I do appreciate films for being good, if I'm not entertained as well then it just doesn't interest me as much. Though there are exceptions, David Lean's films definitely count even though they're not as "entertaining" as some other films. Ben Hur is definitely entertaining, as far as epics go. Hell, Heston's best roles were in very entertaining films.

Nowadays though yeah, not much really ever stands out. We don't have films like Lawrence of Arabia anymore. Once Jaws and Star Wars launched the blockbuster, that pretty much dominated the film industry, with only a few standout "serious films" each year, compared to the amount of "genre films", franchise films and blockbusters.

14. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Pfft Citizen Kane.. This is a real classic.
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I mean, I'm not a film snob. I'm happy to be entertained by a blockbuster if it's good. I enjoyed Avengers (oh that's probably my 2012 favorite actually) well enough. But non-entertaining blockbusters like IM3 are just the worst because then they have nothing going for them. PR just barely entertained me at all. Guess big robots are just not my thing.

The funny thing is, it's not like the old epics were cheap. They could work in the modern film era of blockbusters -- heck Ben Hur was kinda like that. Smaller budget serious films still thrive: they win film festivals, get critical praise, and secure distributors for wide release. Modest success easily beats a low budget and the movie audience gets a balanced diet. It's only the Big Quality Film that's kinda died out. Big on budget, big on ideas. Instead we get mediocre blockbusters like Avatar which have a"message" so superficial that it's written in crayon.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    GrandAdmiralJello

I wasn't aware that anyone talked about Pacific Rim as it was anything more than it is: a really fun popcorn movie. Of course, one could argue that it's the culmination of its genre, if its genre is Giant Robots Smash **** ; not difficult, considering its only recent competition I can think of is Transformers.

As for modern "great films", I suppose that really depends on your definition. Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino are still making great films, in my opinion; I know I'd include The Departed on a list of 2000's masterpieces in an instant. I have a similar affection for Django Unchained; it's not Pulp Fiction, but it works incredibly well as a film. While Pacific Rim is just fun, I do consider Pan's Labyrinth something very close to a masterpiece. The Conen brothers have done some truly stellar work, and I keep hearing great things about 12 Years a Slave, though I haven't seen it yet.

And really, that's just touching extremely popular movies. The great thing about this era is that there's just so much more that's being released, so many smaller projects. Naturally, this doesn't change a thing about Sturgeon's law; because almost anyone can make a movie, it means that so many more terrible movies are released, so many that they bury the truly inspired projects. They are out there, however, if you're willing to look for them. I can't really comment on the film side of this, as I'm anything but an expert on the medium. For music, however, it's a somewhat similar principle. So many people comment that "there's just no good music any more". This can be roughly translated to, "I just don't feel like looking for music I might enjoy". The industry has imploded to a size it could never even dream of approaching only two decades ago; there are more releases than any one person could ever hope to keep track of, more variety than there's ever been. If there's an obscure genre that has seemingly died away, I can all but guarantee that somewhere, it's had a revival. The downside is that because there's so much, it can no longer be easily spoon fed to the public. A second step has to be taken by the prospective listener, a step most don't have the time or inclination to take. Which is completely fine, of course, but it doesn't mean that the only music that exists is being played on Top 40 Radio.

It's not exactly the same situation with film, of course. In fact, the two industries are fundamentally different in more ways than I can count. However, I do think it's worth noting that past decades will automatically look better because history has filtered them. We remember the great films. We don't remember the thousands of forgotten films.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, so I am not the only one who felt like I was being beat over the head by a Na'vi carbon fiber bow about nature vs. technology when it comes to Avatar.

Kylun likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah there are still great serious movies out there. Out of those you mentioned, the Departed was pretty good (though not my favorite Scorsese film). Didn't much care for Django but Tarantino isn't my style. But that's more an aesthetic objection I guess. 12 Years A Slave is pretty great; perhaps comparable to Roots though in that it's well done and teachable, but man it's not happy.

So no, I'm not saying that there aren't sophisticated films being made. But not defining greats I guess: or more specifically, not those which combine scale of vision with scale of ideas. James Cameron tries, but he makes B movies which ape the trappings of great films.

Edit: great again meaning scope and scale not just qualitt

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    You may very well be right. However, I think the only way we'll be able to tell for sure is in 20 years or so. The only way I think we can really see if a film ended up being defining to the medium is in retrospect.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I mean, that's what makes most sense to me. That's why I was wondering about the contemporary reception of those films.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    On the subject of there being no more good historical films, it really sucks that Pompeii had to turn out the way it did. That movie (likely) bombing is sending a message to the film studios that people just aren't interested in historical epics any more, when really most people aren't seeing it not because it's a historical epic, but because it looks (and is, according to the reviews) absolutely awful. Definitely something of a lose-lose-situation.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Out of curiosity what were you expecting from IM3? I was wanting 2 hours of fun entertainment and got that easily, ditto Thor 2.

But, it might be said we're in an unusual time for film, because the dynamic has perhaps shifted from film to TV, due to the wider scope the latter offers. I've yet to get through the BBC's much lauded Hollow Crown series of Shakespere's historical quartet of Richard II, Henry IV Part 1 and 2, Henry V, but I've no reason to think it'll be anything less than brilliant - but that's still at the level of TV. As is The Wire and Shield and the insanely frequently praised Breaking Bad. It may be if you're seeking the smart stuff of the present, it is not film that you should be looking at!

instantdeath likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To be honest, wasn't that doomed from the start? I don't think there is any way even Hollywood could make a disaster like Pompeii a film - it's volcano erupts where no one even knew it could happen, killing an entire town whose inhabitants had bugger all chance.

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    What's interesting is that film is a very young form of art, and TV even younger. I don't want to think that a movie made over 70 years ago is the best movie ever, I want it to be in the future. Mona Lisa wasn't made 60 years after painting was invented.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Heh, I'm on the side that actually really enjoyed Iron Man 3. It felt more like a Bourne movie than a superhero movie, and in this case, I'm perfectly fine with that. I really like how the entire movie was, intentionally or unintentionally, framed as an answer to Captain America's question in The Avengers: without the suit, what are you? Turns out, Iron Man is more than just a selfish guy in a suit. I loved that he had to fall back on resourcefulness and talent for inventions (some of them very amusing) instead of just pew-pewing everything with the Iron Man suit. There are problems with the movie, I have no problem admitting, but nothing that detracted from my enjoyment.

As for Pompeii being doomed from the start: possibly. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't say how much better or worse they could have made it. I still do get a sickly feeling that the earnings from that movie will, in some way, be used by studios to judge whether historical epics are still a profitable enterprise, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.