main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    :D

Personally, I have always considered my love of history as an extension of my love for any interesting universe and well told stories.

Even if history is full of plot holes and retcons.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, you don't want to get into debates about how big the Persian army really was at Thermopylae, or how many banks of oars a tessakonteres really had...

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Bye the way GrandAdmiralJello - have you seen the Dominion from Wildstar? When I saw this video I couldn't help but think of you:

And I think it helps that the other side is pretty close to what you think the Rebel Alliance is like:

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm guessing that's an MMO of some sort, judging by the name?

I have to admit that's pretty hilarious. And indeed, quite fitting.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I must be getting old. My left hip has been giving me a lot of trouble. Time to go break it so I can have it replaced...

6. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Indeed, it is an MMO. Gameplay mechanics look pretty interesting to me though.

But what has interested me the most is that everything about the game has a sense of humor, with the trailers being particularly funny.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Gosh, I thought you would've gone for the SSD-length-equivalent question, "When did the Roman Empire fall?" :p

darthscott3457 likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, looks funny. But being an MMO is a big turn-off. It took a lot to get me to try ESO, and I still have never finished a single story in SWTOR.

Oh, that's easy. Never! :p

(but seriously though I don't think that's too controversial: people have their preferences, but that's really all it amounts to. It's not a YOU'RE WRONG NO YOU'RE WRONG kind of thing like SSD debates tend to be. I can think of a lot bigger controversies in late antiquity, starting from "why did it fall?"/"did it fall?" to christianity vs. pagans)

9. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Hey Ryse: Son of Rome said that it would endure forever, and if we can't trust that game, what can we trust?

;P

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    *Eats wasabi peas and watches with draining sinuses*

11. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    We were taught in school that the last Western Emperor was Romulus Augustulus, and that name stuck with me because it was ridiculous and kind of illustrative of what the Western part of the Empire had come to by that point. I later found out that he was a pretender and about 15 years old, and the story became even funnier.

I found it infuriating that Wikipedia's "List of Roman Emperors" page followed the Eastern Roman Emperors until Irene of Athens then switched to Charlemagne because the Pope did not recognize her, then listed all the Holy Roman Emperors. Thankfully, they changed that last time I checked.

12. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I am amused.

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004

Ryan Atwood as Jim Gordon, huh

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Gotham Babies?

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Wait what

Artoo you're playing the wrong message!

16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I mean, you've got baby Batman, baby Catwoman, baby Poison Ivy, baby Penguin, baby Riddler, the only adult is Jim Gordon.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    MercenaryAce -- dammit, I just saw your second video you edited in. I love it. They basically ARE exactly what Rebels are: slovenly, unkempt, selfish, etc. I can imagine that narrator person as basically being how I will imagine Sabine for the SW show. And I was looking up the race descriptions on their official site, and those Cassian fellows sound just about perfect.

Dammit. I don't need another MMO.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The Secret World. The MMO that forces you to do historical research to win.

MercenaryAce, Trip and DigitalMessiah like this.
  19. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I couldn't agree more. Coming from a background in history and engineering I am sucker for anything doing with the historical background of a sci-fi/fantasy universe or its technical aspects. I would read about stuff like that all day long, even if its not even canon :) I am almost to the point where I think the characters stories just get in the way of all the good information.

I will give it a chance, though all I can think about when it comes to this show was the quote from a FOX executive trying to sell the show:

MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I bought that when it was on sale on Steam a few weeks ago but still haven't installed it.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Trip has been bugging me to try it for weeks, and I dare not. Everyone knows that if trip is ever happy, the universe may implode.

22. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    thpppbbtbt

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    If you're right, you won't be around to know it - so you may as well play it.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "Once, as Mung went his way athwart the Earth and up and down its cities and across its plains, Mung came upon a man who was afraid when Mung said: "I am Mung!"

And Mung said: "Were the forty million years before thy coming intolerable to thee?"

And Mung said: "Not less tolerable to thee shall be the forty million years to come!"

I agree with blackmyron.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [face_rofl]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.