main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So our boy Dòn plays the keyboard, eh? And...I have no idea what the rest of that was. :p

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah they've been a thing for a while which I find hilarious.

Also this new thread title weirds me out. Why is Ackbar always watching? Hasn't he learned to stop watching all the time? It's why Han and Leia had to finally take the house keys away!

Thuro likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Can he even watch? Do Mon Calamari even have binocular vision? How can he focus? Do they make special, fish-brand goggles?

4. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Well... that was a thing. [face_dunno]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

It is just GAAAAARBAGE. It's just bad fanfic, and it's a HILARIOUS insult to the original project whose grave it was built on (Fables). My wife watched it and we made fun of it from start to finish. It's manageable if you're prepared to do that.

OH MAN I have such a crush on Carla Azar, the drummer there. I saw Autolux (highly recommended) (very highly recommended) some years ago, and at the merch table I told her, "Thank you for playing. I am in love with you. Goodnight." Then I quickly and shyly shuffled away with my t-shirt.

EDIT: Fassbender's channeling what I'd like to refer to as "Ian Curtis' Low-Rent Theme Park Day Job..." I love it.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you expand on this?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Allow me. Warning: if you don't want to see screenshots of Once Upon a Time season 4, avoid.

(also P.S. I'm on season 2 of the show and racing to finish, so nobody spoil me about anything in general plz.) I did look at the promo screenshots from season 4 though, because I had to.

Linking instead of embedding because these are HUGE images.

http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/wp-content/gallery/ouat-frozen/136308_3606_ful.jpg

http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/wp-content/gallery/ouat-frozen/136308_3647_ful.jpg

The costume detailing is pretty incredible. Much better than the garbage they used to end season 3 (that short clip is the only thing I've seen).

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Doctor Who stuff.

Favourite bit from the clip?

Doctor: This is Clara, not my assistant. Some other word.
    Clara: I'm his carer.
    Doctor: Yeah, she's my carer. She cares so I don't have to.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So are they using anything from H.C. Andersen original and just use the Disney look or are they just ripping of Disney?

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, given ABC is owned by Disney... why would you expect anything else? :p

11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, ABC is owned by Disney, and OUaT is an ABC show, so it's not really ripping off Disney... I guess it is like Disney's version of a soap opera, but with far better casting and production values?

Random thought: Wearing a watch becomes 20% more awesome if you call it a "Time Bracelet" instead.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    As Uli said, ABC is a Disney company. More specifically, Once is literally based on Disney fairy tales so... They draw from the original stories sometimes, but mostly from the cartoons. And given how well Frozen did, they're not changing a thing: they said they wouldn't dare. They're just following where the movie left off.

If it wasn't a Disney show, they'd get sued so hard. :p

Mia Mesharad, Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    huh, did not know that. Well it explain some of it.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I've never watched this Once Upon a Time thing, but read about it a little while ago... what would you say its closest comparison is?

I mean, is it more of a comedy-style soap that subtly mocks its source, or more like a Game of Thrones sorta thing but for a younger/more whole family demographic? When I first saw pictures, I assumed it was more satire so didn't bother to try it, but... the wiki article doesn't mention comedy.

(And, most important, if it's pulling from Disney, does this mean it will have its own Let It Go, or does this show not do musical numbers? :p)

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I will watch the parts with Elsa and Anna in it and fast-forward through the rest. And only for a maximum of three episodes.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They don't do musical numbers, and said they wouldn't do any for Frozen either.

It's not comedic. It's definitely a darker take on fairy tales: GoT for family audiences would be a good sense of it, in terms if a serious take on fantasy. There are surprising adult references though.

And it's actually pretty good. I thought it was slow at first and never watched more than the first few eps before giving up. I resumed season one a little while ago because I wanted to catch up for Frozen, but I was resigned bc I didn't care for the show.

But lo, things came together and got really interesting so I've been barreling through.

If you like fairy tales, watch it. It integrated a lot of the Disney canon together, including things like the old Silly Symphonies... but in interesting, unexpected ways. If you can't stand fairy tales though, then a serious take on them might just drive you batty.

Edit: I will say that by near-universal opinion, the villains are the most interesting and best developed characters in the show. So if that appeals to you, you're in for a treat.

Coop -- it's a nine episode arc. They wouldn't let this opportunity go. No pun intended.

Revanfan1 and Zorrixor like this.
  17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    A darker take on fairy tales? I like the sound of that.

Given it's still based on the Disney canon, I'm assuming it's not literally as dark as the original stories (e.g. I'm guessing Little Red Riding Hood doesn't end up getting eaten or Ariel dissolving into foam? :p) but if it presents a more... adult take on the Disney narratives, that sounds pretty cool, as I enjoy the fact that originally fairy tales were for adults, so if this is taking them back to their original folk roots then it sounds interesting.

18. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

It's not.

It's SO BAD.

DON'T DO IT RICK.

(I hope you don't mind me calling you Rick for short, because I'm going to, because it's genius).

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I have never previously considered that "Rick" would be in the middle of Zorrixor... that is indeed a rather weird observation. :p

And, yeah, so I'm watching the first Episode of this thing, and... yeah, wasn't expecting this to have stuff in the real world. That's seeming kinda dumb and not at all what I was hoping for. Shame.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, that's why I couldn't get into it. The only thing that really grabbed my attention in the first place was the fact it starred Jennifer Morrison (Dr. Allison Cameron from House).

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Give it a chance, for reals. It takes a while to get going, but once it gets going it's good. At least, in my opinion. And season 2 blows most of 1 out of the water, too. As for Red Riding Hood...no, she doesn't get eaten by the wolf, but uh... [face_tee_hee] [face_mischief]

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It starts out really slowly, and it doesn't help that the "main" character is somebody that I absolutely can't stand. But I do think it gets better over time, once they're done laying the groundwork.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    If you're referring to Emma, I agree–the show's worth watching just for Mary Margaret, David, and Mr. Gold, to me. The side characters are pretty good too. Most of 'em. And of course Regina.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Regina's the main reason I enjoy the show. Mary Margaret, David, and Gold are also interesting in descending order but they couldn't carry the show on their own like Regina does.

But yeah basically can't stand Emma or Henry. At all. So I understand why Zor might be put off by the first episodes, since the story's heavily about them at the start. Once the peripheral cast get more involved and things start to take shape, the show's much better.

It's not artful TV, but I do think it's good fairy tale TV. Just hang in there, Zor. (None of this Rick nonsense for me, I'm old school)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I actually think Gold was bland and uninteresting in Season 1 (his Rumplestiltskin alter-ego, on the other hand...) but Season 2 took some serious strides in making him far more interesting. Henry is okay to me; far less annoying than most TV characters his age. I think out of the peripheral cast, Grumpy the dwarf and Belle are the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.