main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Prince Yyrkoon?

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I thought it was the House of Normandy.

Also, lol @ the LotR Crusader Kings mod:

[​IMG]

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Aegon I, individually, certainly. But an island-dwelling habitually malevolent sorcerous dragon-riding remnant of a once-great empire ruled by an albino in black and red armor? All Moorcock, right there.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    ... wait, what do you think the Normans were? :p

cthugha likes this.
  5. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Vikings who were blown off course, ended up in France, got drunk, and showed up a century late to the let's-invade-England party?

Revanfan1, Kylun, Darth_Garak and 2 others like this.
  6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh. I guess that makes more sense. I thought they had dragons.

7. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm sure they would've liked to have had dragons, too.

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

My dear fellow, since when are you one to be concerned with making your terminology "immediately recognizable"? :p ;)

Chyntuck, Random Comments and Gamiel like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe you are thinking on their dragon-ships?

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Of course they did:
    [​IMG]

It was the opposite for me - I felt far too much space was wasted on the Tagaryan kings and Vylerians in general, and that the parts about the area beyond the Free Cities was far and away the most interesting part. Both because of the places themselves and just how much of the former two sections felt like retreads of what was already known for the most part.

In particular, I really loved the Summer Islands, Sothoyos, and the many variations of the long night story. I was a little disappointed that Yi Ti was a pretty standard fantasy China given how the rest of the continent blended many influences, though there some interesting things there as well.

Though I will admit I loved the picture of some of the original Valyrian architecture - I was expecting some Greco-Roman styled buildings like is standard for fallen civilizations, but they made something really interesting and unique looking.

Oh my yes, this book is very dark and full of spoilers.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  11. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    You don't. You just get banned for spam. :p
    Sorry.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    MercenaryAce

I just took care of your deletion requests.

--Adm. Nick

MercenaryAce likes this.
  13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Why? They were funny!

MercenaryAce likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    MercAce -- well, the world of ice and fire featuring things that are completely out of the scope of the series and don't really effect it wouldn't be much of a world book for the series. I understand liking the world building -- that's why I like the Free Cities, which most people think outside the scope -- but the Far East and south is even further beyond. GRRM had to balance between the interests of story readers and lore readers. Even as it is, some (deluded) people were upset that it had no info about the main plot line... for some reason.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I didn't realise that marriages between nieces and nephews were a preferred tac of the Targs as well as the sibling stuff.

DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING UNLESS YOU KNOW YOUR ASoIaF FACTS AND THEORIES. GoT WATCHERS WHO WISH TO BE UNSPOILED GO AWAY NOW.

Jon + Daenerys Targaryen confirmed! :p

Though I still think she's gonna die and eventually he'll marry Sansa. She's his "sister" by adoption but only his cousin by blood, so that'll be more acceptable to the readers. Also he has a thing for red heads, and Sansa is gonna be the uber-beautiful queen to surpass Cersei.

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Amusingly, it's not just the Targaryens, but the Starks, as well. That's one tangled family tree they've got, there (it actually has more incest than the original preview version).

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh no, I completely understand. The story is about Westeros, and it makes sense to focus more on that. And it also makes sense from an in-universe perspective that the Maesters would know a lot more about their own history rather than far away lands - heck, its pretty impressive that they know as much as they do about far off places. I am just talking about what personally grabbed my interests and fired my imagination. Oh right, I suppose I did say wasted...yeah, that's too strong a word.

PS - when I first read your comment, I missed that bit about the differing sources is pretty interesting, especially the parts where the more plausible explanations are clearly wrong, like the Others just being a demonized tribe of Wildlings.

Though I have to admit, when it comes to the Dance of the Dragons, I am not sure which source is supposed to be more reliable. Given GRRM's subversion of heroic fantasy tropes, I expect that Mushroom's versions are the more accurate, but his version of what happened between Cole and Rhaenyra doesn't seem likely at all to me given that Cole's later actions are so incredibly spiteful.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I tend to take Mushroom as the most reliable. But lurid insider sources are just as easily prone to exaggeration -- just look at the insider sources for today's prime movers.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The book is written in universe and the vast bulk is a text for King Robert - there's an addendum at the end in Tommen's reign, but that mostly consists of genealogy trees for the various families (again, in universe, so limited by what would be commonly known or accepted).
    And I did enjoy the Targaryens - it gave a personality to each of them

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If you're up with the TV show, there are no spoilers. If you're not, there will be a few.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    What if we're caught up on the show but generally forget half of it between seasons?

22. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Then there will be good reminders.

Oh, GrandAdmiralJello :
    Did you notice the evidence that the Faceless Men destroyed Valyria?

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know of any good pictures of kiffar architecture? The only one I could find was this one
    [​IMG]

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Uli - not sure how the book confirmed that...theory.

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It didn't confim anything. "SO AND SO CONFIRMED" is just a meme.

The spoiler tags were for:

R+L=J, which the show has yet to even really hint at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.