PT Have a random question? Ask in here. Newbie's read before posting!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Lucas didn't really talk about it, so the answers you seek can be found in the novel, "Tatooine Ghost". It's revealed that Cliegg had come to Mos Espa to do business and met Shmi when he visited Watto's shop. He kept coming back over a period of time and they started to fall in love. He had to buy her in order to secure her freedom, since Watto wasn't going to get the shaft again. Once that was done, Cliegg formally freed her of being a slave and they got married. The money that Watto had received wound up being lost to his growing gambling debt.
  2. Barbecue17 Jedi Master

star 2
    If I recall correctly, order 67 was Beef with Broccoli.
    darth ladnar and TiniTinyTony like this.
  3. Eddie Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm an olbie but thought this the best place to ask this:
    I was wondering what contribution Jonathan Hales made to the attack of the clones script. I can't find much behind the scenes details on this. I remember at the time leading up to the release of episode 2 thinking another contributor to the script would improve the dialogue from that which we got in episode 1 as Lucas is well known for not being very good with this area of script writing. So what if anything did Jonathan Hales bring to the script?
    Thanks guys in advance.
  4. The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Master

star 3
    Did The Jedi Take Away Their Own Independence?

It seems that the Jedi were only ever making things harder for themselves by making such strong bonds with the Senate. I understand that it makes sense for them to be linked to the government, but they pretty much follow it blindly throughout the trilogy and never really get a say in what they think is best.
    I mean, even in TCW (especially the Ahsoka arc) we see how little control they have over their own order. Everything has to be angled towards what works best with the Senate.
    So, was it that wise a decision for them to make such strong connections with the government? They basically took away their independence where they didn't need to. They could have still actively help the citizens of the galaxy and fight the battles they needed to.
    Last edited by SithStarSlayer, Feb 3, 2014
  5. Lord Chazza Force Ghost

star 4
    Guarding the Republic was their 'raison d'ĂȘtre.' Anyway, it gave them legitimacy. Had they not been affiliated with the Republic they wouldn't have had a mandate to fill the role of police, mediators, negotiators, ambassadors etc.
    Eryndil likes this.
  6. The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Master

star 3
    As I said:
    It makes sense for them to be linked to the government.

Just not to follow it blindly or allow it to influence all of their affairs.
  7. Garra Jedi Youngling

star 1
    You're correct. I mean, they always argued that they were suspicious about the Senate but they linked to them.
  8. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    In the EU, the Ruusan Reformations (right after the last great defeat of the Sith 1000-odd years before the movie-era) were a big part of the Jedi giving up their independence - they basically became a government department (part of the Judicial department).

This was because, from the point of view of the Supreme Chancellor of the time, Tarsus Valorum - it was necessary to keep the Jedi from being rulers of the Republic rather than servants of the Republic.
  9. Eryndil Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Exactly - the Jedi Order made that connection to the Republic long before the PT, back when it was the most practical (or indeed unavoidable) course of action. By the time of the Clone Wars, they were inextricably linked so it was too late for them to assert independence.

It's hard to say what would have happened if they had remained separate from the start. Would they have survived as an organisation? They certainly wouldn't have had the authority to carry out peacekeeping and diplomatic missions for a thousand years. It seems to be one of those 'damned if you do, damned if you don't situations'.
  10. Dido1 Jedi Youngling

Serious question about: "The Revenge of the Sith"

So i got in to a huge fight with my best friend about a certain thing in the third prequel. In 1:19:02 Chancellor Palpatine says that "Once more the sith will rule the galaxy!" But my friend is being stubborn as hell and says that the sith have never ruler over the galaxy. Please use your immense knowledge base and disprove him. Thank you in advance!

Sorry for the bad spelling i wrote that in a hurry.

He said that the sith have never ruled over the galaxy and i think that is just wrong.
    Please point out points in history where the sith ruled over tha galaxy.
    Last edited by SithStarSlayer, Feb 10, 2014
  11. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
  12. only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 3

Then...what does Sidious mean when he declares "The first Galactic Empire"?
  13. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Welcome to the Boards, @Dido1!

In the future, please edit the original comment instead of posting consecutively, thanks.
    :)
  14. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    Technically, it's the first Galactic Empire. At least named as such.

But yes, it's another one of those EU "contradictions"...
  15. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Didn't Mace used that term when he showed up to arrest Palpatine?

Galactic Republic/Empire = modern times in the GFFA.
  16. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    There has never been a galaxy-spanning empire before. All previous Sith empires were smaller, as they constantly fought against the larger Republic.
  17. CommanderDrenn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Then Mace should come into the chamber, and, as no Sith has ever ruled the whole galaxy, say, "I'm out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of grandeur."
    darthjj88 and SithStarSlayer like this.
  18. YourGoulden Jedi Padawan

What if Anakin hadn't killed Dooku?

We all know that Anakin slipped a little to the dark side and beheaded poor Dooku but what if he hadn't? Would Sidious have allowed Dooku to live or would he have killed him himself and kept seeking Anakin as an apprentice? Or perhaps allow him to be taken back to the Republic as a prisoner?
    Last edited by SithStarSlayer, Feb 12, 2014
  19. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 6
    I think it's very likely he would've done it himself. It seems pretty glaringly clear Sidious only cared about making Anakin his ultimate puppet.
  20. YourGoulden Jedi Padawan

Do you think he would have done it there on the ship in front of Anakin or somehow allow Dooku to escape and then kill him later?
  21. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    I honestly don't know what happens.

Another question is how they keep track of Dooku while Anakin carries Obi-Wan and the ship nosedives toward Coruscant.

Does Dooku run off? Is he killed when the ship tears in half? Is he still in the ship when it crash lands? Does he manage to slip away?

Someone shop in a handless Dooku with Palps, Ani and Obi-Wan during "another happy landing".

EDIT: Hell, I forgot the intro to Grievous occurs after Dooku's death. So, is Dooku there, too? How does he hold on while the bridge is vented?
    Last edited by CT-867-5309, Feb 11, 2014
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Merkual Force Ghost

star 4
    I think it would have been a much better film to be honest,

after watching AOTC, and the tension between Mace and he, I would rather have seen a battle between them two.

I don't like the "Sith always double cross each other" idea personally, you'd have to be a complete idiot to be a sith with the knowledge that you're likely to be killed off by either your master or apprentice
  23. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 6
    Dooku did not expect it, either. He was clearly dismayed and shocked at his master's betrayal. Personally, I don't think Dooku suited being a Sith at all. I think he was forced to be one because he dared leave the Jedi.

I think Sidious would've done it on the ship nearly immediately if he saw the boy wasn't going to do it. All Dooku was was a placeholder.
    Seagoat likes this.
  24. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm not sure how Dooku was forced to be anything.

He didn't get the title of "Count" from Sesame Street.
  25. Loupgarou Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Let's imagine that when Palpatine says 'he's too dangerous to be left alive', Anakin hesitates and lowers his sabers, saying no, he'll go on trial, that's the republic way to do it. He'd try to keep Dooku as prisoner while escaping, but since Dooku now knows Sideous won't likely bail him out later he'd certainly try to escape. The situation would be too hectic for Anakin or Obi-wan to chase Dooku down, and although he'd most likely die during the crash landing, this is Star Wars. He 'd escape, and I see two possibilities. Either he, as the public face of the CIS, regroups his forces without Palpatine's involvement and continues fighting. Palpatine still uses the war as a reason to create the empire, only the Empire actually has to directly deal with war right away. While this might actually help public opinion of the empire and help spur military development, it would mean split resources. Less troopers would be able to focus on the Jedi Purge, meaning more survivors. There are enough to rally sympathic worlds and begin a Jedi Rebellion. So now we have a three-way war; CIS vs Empire VS jedi rebellion. Anything could happen from then on.

Other option is that when Dooku attempts to get his allies to work under him, he is either turned in to Sidious as a traitor, or killed by Darth Vader before he can. ROTS could be nearly the same, except with the meeting on Mustafar being held by Dooku, and Vader sent to assassinate him along with the others.
    Last edited by Loupgarou, Feb 11, 2014
    YourGoulden and CaptainRegor like this.
Moderators: Bazinga'd