PT Have a random question? Ask in here. Newbie's read before posting!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
  1. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    Really? Try the way he's written. He's forced to be a Sith simply for leaving the Jedi as I said.
  2. CT-867-5309 Chosen One

star 5
    That's not the way I see it at all, but it's off topic.
  3. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    I am just as entitled to my view as you are yours, Sir. I was simply replying to you. You were the one off topic with the kid's show ref. I simply explained my reasoning for why I feel Dooku was indeed forced to be a Sith. Good evening.
  4. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    It's impossible to know from the movies precisely what Dooku thinks the plan is. I think if Anakin spared Dooku, it would have made for a ridiculously complicated situation. Would they have brought Dooku with them as a prisoner or left him where he was? It would have been extremely difficult to bring him as a prisoner and carry Obi-Wan on Anakin's back. Of course, if they managed to take him as a prisoner then presumably he would have been released when they were trapped by the ray-shields and taken prisoner themselves. (Although, come to think of it, Dooku probably falls down the elevator shaft when the ship loses stability.) Would Palpatine have risked Dooku betraying him and/or revealing his identity? Of course, Palpatine would have had a very hard time acting against Dooku without revealing himself and his powers. I guess Dooku would have just floated out into space with all the battle droids when Grievous broke the glass. Grievous had his grapping hook thing and our heroes grab onto the control panels, but Dooku wouldn't exactly have been able to grab anything....

In short, I'm guessing the man with no hands finds a way to die anyway.

Of course, this all begs the question: What exactly was the original escape plan? Certainly they weren't planning to take Palpatine out in a Jedi Starfighter. Maybe find their way to an escape pod?
    Last edited by Beezer, Feb 12, 2014
    CT-867-5309 and CaptainRegor like this.
  5. CaptainRegor Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    That is briliant question. As well as the responses. Never given it much tought, but yeah. If Anakin had done the Jedi way and let him live... How would they have delt with it? As you guys have poitned out he has no hands + Obi-Wan needs to be carried. Anakin would never leave Obi-Wan to die. And they couldn't just leave him becuase he does have the force... Interesting... Would Grievous have the guts to kill the armless man himself?
  6. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4

That doesn't make any sense to me. Why would leaving the Jedi automatically force Dooku to become a Sith? This suggestion sounds rigid to me.
  7. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 8
    I definitely do not think Dooku was forced to be a Sith. IIRC from the EU, he didn't even join the Sith for the first few years after he left the Jedi. He was rather disgusted with both the Jedi and the Republic when he left the Order and I think that he adopted the mindset that, paraphrasing Quirrell from Harry Potter, there is no good or evil, only power and those who are afraid to use it.

And he got a raw deal. It's funny in a sad way how many Sith apprentices think that they are the ones who will either subvert the Rule of Two or will become irreplacable to their Masters.

As far as Anakin leaving Dooku alive...the only plausible outcome I could see for that scenario is Palpatine killing Dooku himself, and then killing Anakin for not being a worthy potential apprentice.
  8. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 7
    In Labyrinth of Evil - we find that Dooku murdered Sifo-Dyas and erased Kamino from the archives - right before leaving. The erasure was the last time he could take advantage of the privileges of being a Master and get into the archives in the first place.
  9. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    "Palpatine has told Dooku. 'I have somebody who I think will be a great Sith Lord and I think we can get him to join us. But we need to test him. So we're going to setup a situation where you fight him. If he gets the best of you, then I'll stop the fight and he'll have passed the test. If you get the best of him, then we'll let him go, and we'll let him stew for a few more years until he's ready.' But behind it, obviously, is Palpatine's real intention: If Anakin is good enough, Anakin can kill Dooku and become Palpatine's new apprentice. But he didn't tell Dooku that."

--George Lucas, The Making Of ROTS; Page 41.

That's what would have happened.
  10. CT-867-5309 Chosen One

star 5
    I don't see how that explains anything. Seriously.

Anakin "can" kill Dooku, but in this scenario doesn't.

Anakin "can" become Palpatine's new apprentice, but in this scenario doesn't, at least not then and there.
  11. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    The point was to drive Anakin to use the dark side and become a Sith Lord, much the same way Luke almost does against Vader. Anakin does it, but he doesn't turn because he saves Obi-wan.

"Palpatine rather hoped that Anakin was going to leave Obi-Wan during the kidnapping, but Anakin is an honorable man and Obi-Wan is his greatest friend, so Anakin insists that he bring him along."

--Ian McDiarmid, Star Wars Insider #82.
  12. CT-867-5309 Chosen One

star 5
    It's like we're not even in the same thread.
    Last edited by CT-867-5309, Feb 12, 2014
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    It's not that difficult to understand. Palpatine thought that Obi-wan was the key to turning Anakin, which is why Dooku tries to kill Obi-wan, but he botches it. Anakin, though, loses his cool and defeats Dooku and then kills him. But because Anakin didn't turn, Obi-wan is save and Palpatine realizes that he's only partially succeeded. So he turns around and uses Padme, once he senses Anakin's turmoil. If Anakin failed to kill Dooku, then Dooku would beat the boy but let him live and then take off in either the shuttle or aboard his Solar Sailor.
  14. CT-867-5309 Chosen One

star 5
    What thread are you in?

IN THIS THREAD, Anakin defeats Dooku but does not kill him.

Anakin does not kill Dooku. Dooku does not "beat the boy". Neither of these things can happen in this scenario laid out by the OP.

Now go.

The OP specifically points out the beheading. As in, Anakin wins but doesn't go through with the decapitation. Plus, if Dooku beats Anakin, then why does Dooku become a prisoner? Who is the Republic prisoner in this scenario? Why ask? The scenario has to have Anakin beating but not killing Dooku.

(Okay, the thread got merged, so instead of this thread it's this topic)
    Last edited by CT-867-5309, Feb 12, 2014
  15. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 4
    This line of discussion has fanfic fodder written all over it.
    Last edited by Vthuil, Feb 12, 2014
    darthjj88 likes this.
  16. jedimasterluke3000 Jedi Padawan

hey i just found out in one of the books that in palpatine's office is a urn containing the ashes of his master. my question is what are all the books containing information like that on the prequels and maybe the original trilogy as well?
  17. mes520 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The book that mentioned Plagueis' ashes are in the urn is in the Revenge of the Sith Visual Dictionary. It's great book. I do recommend it. I aso have the TPM and AOTC visual dictionaries, there's some good stuff in them too, but ROTS in the best. I don't have OT visual dictionaries, so I can't comment on them.

You may also want to check out the novelizations of each movie. Again ROTS is great. Some of the other novels too. Darth Plagueis is one of my faves. There's also the Jedi Path and Book of Sith.
  18. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, I kinda knew since 2005. :p
    mes520 likes this.
  19. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    This is what you're asking for:

[IMG]
    SithStarSlayer likes this.
  20. Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master

star 1
    So he hid a lightsaber in his office, and now it turns out he had the ashes of his former master in his office as well. Does anyone else know of any other things he had hidden in his office?
  21. vw_jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, I heard he kept a Battle Droid head in his lower left hand desk drawer. It could only say two things,

"Roger Roger, or, Oh Noooo!"

When he had big decisions to make, he would use it like a Magic Eight Ball. Ask a question, shake it, and wait for a reply.
    Last edited by vw_jedi, Feb 16, 2014
    Vthuil and Alexrd like this.
  22. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Bottom right hand drawer has a legion of his best troops and a bag of dead moisture farmers sour apple jolly ranchers.;)
    Last edited by SithStarSlayer, Feb 16, 2014
  23. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
  24. Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yeah, that's all covered in Darth Plagueis. Dooku and Palps had been talking for awhile before Dooku decided to leave.

It's not easy being a Sith. Not much room for error.
    Iron_lord likes this.
  25. farinal Jedi Youngling

Considering how the Jedi acted during the Mandolorian Wars I fail to understand why they have joined the Clone Wars? Even the Mandolorian Wars was a war of aggression and invasion yet this one was a war of seccession. I don't understand why did the Jedi Council joined this war instead of staying neutral?
    Last edited by SithStarSlayer, Feb 19, 2014
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785