main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Like I said, it's in the novelization. The movie rightfully cut scenes such as this for pacing and storytelling purposes.

2. Rolf Larsen

Rolf Larsen Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2013
    But what is the viewer supposed to think the meaning of the clone wars is if that scene was cut from the movie?

3. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    That Palpatine and Dooku arranged the whole thing as an excuse to gather more power (both military and political), as well as to eliminate the Jedi.

4. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013
    Ok, but how did it give them more power?

5. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    The separatists starting a war meant that Palpatine would need to be given emergency powers to create an army to counter the threat of the separatists. So Palpatine was given these emergency powers in order to create an army, but with these new emergency powers it pretty much made him so powerful that nobody could touch him or dethrone him from supreme chancellor.

So that is why the clone wars was important to them, because Palpatine realized that with emergency powers nobody could touch him, and he had total control of the republic. Which of course was his plan all along. Also because they created the clones Palpatine could put orders into the clones to help him take out the Jedi (Order66) because he knew the Jedi would be used as generals to help the clones win the war, and the Jedi would never expect the clones to turn on them.

timmoishere and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013
    Ok, that's a reason for starting the Clone Wars, but why did Palpatine prolong it for 3 years? Couldn't he have just waited until the Jedi were among clone troopers in battle, killed the Seperatists and executed order 66 way earlier, and nobody who didn't read the novelization of Rots would know the difference? Couldn't he have executed order 66 way earlier and still blamed the jedi for trying to overthrow the senate, and it all would have just seemed the same to those who didn't read the book?

7. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    3 reasons - 1) The number of Jedi was still to high. Say there was 1000 Jedi at the start (500 on different planets, 500 at the temple including the council ie Yoda, Obi-Wan, Mace & Mundi to name a few) there's no way Palpatine would have been able to launch an attack like Order66 and on the temple. Yoda was pretty tuned in to the fact the clones had turned, he would have been able to get word out to the Jedi on different planets and the attack on the temple would have been dealt with by the Jedi. Say half the Jedi survived the Jedi still have 500 members including the council so people like Mace, Yoda, Mundi and Obi-Wan. There's no way Palpatine would have been able to take those guys on and win.

Whereas the longer the war went on the more Jedi would have been killed in combat, so say half the Jedi where killed in combat the number is now down to 500 members. Say half of those survived order66 and the attack on the temple the Jedi is down to 250 members. Still quite a lot but not as many for Palpatine and the clones to take on. The longer the battle went on the more Jedi where killed in combat, the less there numbers became and the easy it would have been for him to finish the order off with the help of the clones.

2) He wanted to rule the galaxy, He would have needed a strong army to help him control in case there was a rebellion (Like in the OT). He needed to find out weather the clones or the droids where the strongest, and the only way to do that would be to let them both have many battles to see who was the strongest.

3) Anakin wasn't ready to become his apprentice yet. At the end of AOTC he got beat pretty easily by Dooku, So Palpatine knew he needed Anakin to become more powerful and strong in the force and that takes time. So the longer the clone wars went on the more time it would give Anakin to become strong enough to be his apprentice. He also needed more time to seduce Anakin to the dark side.

Also it would have looked pretty weird how a war that had been building up for quite some time ended so quickly. Palpatine being given emergency powers, then creating an army, then betraying the Jedi (Even though he only received his emergency powers a short while before) then the war ending all in the space of a few months. The senate would have been able to figure out that something wasn't right and probably would have lost faith in his leadership, and with the Jedi numbers still relatively high a rebellion wouldn't have been far behind and Palpatine wouldn't have ruled for as long as he did.

Palpatine's P.A. and Iron_lord like this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What's the in-universe reason for Anakin wearing black robes in ROTS while still a Jedi? (I know the out-of-universe reason is because he was on his way to the dark side.)

9. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    It seems like the Jedi of the time have some standard outfits in a variety of styles and colours - the there are some Jedi who have even more individualistic outfits (like Aayla Secura). If Anakin wore dark robes then I suppose that was just his preference, maybe he thought it went with his status as a prominent Jedi in the war. He may also wanted something that was different from Obi-Wan and most other Jedi - eg Yoda and Mace, to make himself stand out.

Although 'going a bit dark side' could be an in-universe reason as well. Maybe a darker mental state made him dress darker and not like most of the other Jedi.

darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Might be a silly question, but something that's been bugging me about RotS is where did Obi-Wan get a robe between Utapau and returning to the Temple with Yoda?

He dropped his robe before confronting Grievous. When he's shot down by the clones shortly afterwards, and then steals a ship to escape, we don't see it on him, and it's too big/bulky to fit into a pocket or something like that. He still doesn't have one when he's on the Tantive IV, but suddenly in his next scene when he and Yoda are fighting their way back into the Temple, he's wearing one.

I doubt they'd stop to buy a new robe after Bail dropped them off, so the only conclusion I can draw is that Bail gave it to him enroute to Coruscant. Of course, that kind of robe probably isn't unique to the Jedi, but it seems pretty different from Alderaanian fashion, and it's a little odd that Bail happens to have on his consular ship robes that so closely match what Obi-Wan had been wearing previously. Similar colour, even. It wouldn't bother me if not for that brief shot of him and Yoda outside the Temple. If it had cut straight to the corridor shot, I'd just assume they'd passed the Temple's supply area and he'd snagged a new one.

Of course, logically I know that we're probably meant to think he *did* pick up his own robe before leaving Utapau. Still, it's a little annoying that it seems inconsistent with what we see onscreen :confused:

some might say the obvious conclusion is that Obi-Wan and Bail often had secret trysts aboard the Tantive IV, which would explain why Obi-Wan keeps spare clothes there :p

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    He... was so desperate to get a robe he ran head-first into the temple THEN came back out to fight the clones with Yoda?
    Haha good catch. I can't really think of a justifiable in-universe answer to that....

Revanfan1 and gracesonnet like this.
  12. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    That works!
    Or maybe the Jedi keep their spare clothes in a outhouse 600m forward of the main entrance.

Seagoat likes this.
  13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    In his off-screen time, Obi is quite the fashionista

Vthuil, Cael-Fenton and gracesonnet like this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So I read online that both baby Luke and baby Leia were played by the same baby in ROTS. This does not seem possible; they look like totally different babies to me! Is this true?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Yes, it's the same child in both shots. I believe it was the child of one of the production staff of the film.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    Look at the nose! They look identical to me.

17. Visitant

Visitant Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 20, 2014
    So that's why 'Luke''s eyes are closed! :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks, guys. In any case, it's an adorable baby–especially in the "Leia" picture. Kind of makes my heart melt.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Darth Gartin

Darth Gartin Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2013
    How did Sidious train Maul and Dooku on Coruscant without the Jedi knowing. I know Sidious and Dooku used force stealth as did Maul but Dooku trained a lot of dark jedi and sith assassins there also. According to the Darth Plaguis novel the only reason the jedi couldn't sense their presence is because the sith didn't use the dark side when they was on Coruscant so they could hide in plain site. I know Sidious and Dooku where very powerful Sith Lords but I just can't see all the ones that where trained by Dooku where powerful enough to hide their presence from some of the most powerful jedi the galaxy has ever seen.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think "The Works" was an area of Coruscant that was already pretty dark - and that's where Dooku did most of his training of Dark Jedi.

21. MJack

MJack Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2014
    When I was first seeing the Phantom Menace in theatres in 1999, I thought I there was a fairly close-up shot or two of Yaddle. It's definitely not there on the 2011 blu-ray. And it's not on the 2004 DVD. I have not seen any lists of Star Wars edits with this on it. Does anyone know if I am remembering correctly?

22. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    Yeah, I think it was to do with the fumes created by the Industries that created loads of thunderstorms, clouds and stuff. I think that's why it was pretty dark and gloomy and perhaps why it was tainted with dark energy and a good place for dark siders to use. Well that's my guess anyways.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Neimoidians mention that they've never encountered a Jedi, but Qui-Gon says that if Anakin was born in the Republic, he'd have been identified. Are Jedi common or are they not?

24. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    At the time of TPM, there were around 10,000 Jedi in the galaxy. Considering that the galaxy has a population of quadrillions at the minimum (Coruscant itself is around 1 trillion), it would be extremely rare for any average citizen to encounter one.

As for your second question, most children in the Republic are subjected to a blood test shortly after birth. This test measures the midi-chlorian levels in the child's cells, and if it's high enough, the Jedi Order is contacted. A representative of the Jedi will visit the family and explain the difficulties of raising a Force-sensitive child and how much better off the child will be as a Jedi. And, if the parents consent, the representative will take the child back to the Temple with him.

Anakin was born into slavery and spent most of his childhood on Tatooine, which explains why the Jedi never knew of his potential until Qui-Gon found him.

25. SteveMcgrath

SteveMcgrath Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2014
    I like the lore behind The Prequel trilogy, I know enough about the Old Republic era and know that the era before the republic exists because of KoTOR. But I want to experience the Prequel Era mythos first hand, where do I start?