main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. OBI WAN37

OBI WAN37 Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2014
    Thanks! :)

2. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    On a similar note to the prior conversion, how much of Sidious's plot does Vader know about by the time he kills the separatist leaders? Vader knew that Palpatine was the Sith lord Dooku deliberately warned the jedi about, and that Palpatine, as his true sith self, controlled the separatists, evident by Gunray welcoming Vader, and the fact he didn't have to fight his way to them to begin with, not to mention Gunray's last words. At that point he was really just serving Palpatine to save Padme, but after her death and his reconstruction, why didn't Vader turn on Palpatine for causing pretty much all the conflicts he's been in since a boy?

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    He didn't have nearly enough power, and his will was completely eroded. He was more or less a slave again
    "You don't know the power of the dark side. I MUST obey my master"

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novel, he does, for a moment - but stops.

You did it.
    You killed her.
    You killed her because, finally, when you could have saved her, when you could have gone away with her, when you could have been thinking about her, you were thinking about yourself ...
    It is in this blazing moment that you finally understand the trap of the dark side, the final cruelty of the Sith-
    Because now your self is all you will ever have.
    And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less than what you were, you are more than half machine, you are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power that you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow.
    In the end, you do not even want to.
    In the end, the shadow is all that you have left.
    Because the shadow understands you, the shadow forgives you, the shadow gathers you unto itself-

And in your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame.
    This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.
    Forever ...

5. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    As it seems, there appears to be two kinds of dark side users: Those that embrace it and see it as a betterment to themselves and society, like Palpatine, and reluctant slaves to it like Vader. Though, considering the pathetic state he was reduced to, It would have made sense if Vader decided to end it and martyr himself. Perhaps he clung onto the hopes of getting a shot at revenge.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Trivial quibbling here, but I'm pretty sure Palpatine knew he wasn't going to better society. I'm pretty sure Anakin legitimately believed the Empire would be better, because he totally believed in despots, which might explain why he stayed in service to his Master for so long.

7. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    One book (I forget which, might have even been a visual guide factoid) said Palpatine believed himself as a hero for removing what he saw as a corrupt jedi order and a corrupt republic that failed to maintain order in the galaxy.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    You are right - it was the RoTS Visual Dictionary that said "Palpatine does not see himself as evil but as a saviour of the galaxy."

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Lucas suggests this in the ROTS commentary, but it's not how McDiarmid portrayed the character.

Another question: Was Jango a mercenary who happened to be working for both the Kaminoans and the Separatists or was he to some degree in on the Sith conspiracy?

10. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Jango knew Dooku was Tyranus, but I think that's as far as it goes. As a bounty hunter/mercenary, he probably didn't care why the same man who was instrumental in raising the clone army was also raising a droid army against it, so long as he got paid.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why did Vader say to Obi Wan in ANH "you should not have come back"?

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    My guess, is that it relates to the fact that Obi Wan left him on the edge of lava on Mustafar.

13. OBI WAN37

OBI WAN37 Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2014
    I had episode 1 on VHS for many years, broke it, found out the DVDs all had minor edits in them, and now I want to get the original versions of the prequel trilogy through downloads on the internet. Does anybody know where I can pirate (or even pay for) the original versions of the prequels, or if that's impossible, the dvd releases in HD?

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well I remember people in 3SA were theorizing that Ben had been (heh) to the Death Star before hence the line.

15. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Whats that based on, something in the EU Legends?

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

We do not support the illegal violation of IP rights, i.e., Pirating. Not an appropriate topic for these boards.

Seagoat likes this.
  17. OBI WAN37

OBI WAN37 Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2014
    I understand, and I didn't mean to disrespect the various people who worked on those films or George Lucas, or make myself seem like I had no morals, it's just that my VHS player is broken now too, so buying the VHS tapes isn't an option, and the DVD of the Phantom Menace (which is the one I had on VHS and broke) costs $60 ( http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-Phantom-Widescreen/dp/B00003CX5P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409743850&sr=8-1&keywords=the phantom menace dvd ).

I don't know if pirating is ethical under these circumstances or not (probably not), but regardless as I said i didn't mean to disrespect the people who worked on those films.

18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I can't tell you want is ethical, but pirating is in violation of the U.S. Code.

19. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    One thing I never understood: Why, after losing Dooku and a large percentage of the Separatist fleet in a botched sacking of Coruscant, and after being told by Sidious that the the war will soon end, was Grievous somehow reassured that everything to turn out all right by Sidious saying he'll soon have a younger, more powerful apprentice?

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Because exposition for the audience. Dunno if Grevious took any comfort in that, though.

21. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

It has to be said that Grievous did not really care about winning the war, but more like fighting in the war. Because the Republic and the Jedi were the ones that Grievous held responsible for his transformation and the death of his people, he only cared for hurting the Republic and the Jedi in particular.
    Sure, the CIS winning the war would have brought an end to the Republic, but during that time in ROTS, Grievous probably only wanted to make sure that he could hurt the Jedi and the Republic as much as he could before losing the war.

This quote of his, clarifies his feelings towards the Republic and the Jedi, and the war in general:

"Listen to me, Jedi. I do not care about your politics. I do not care about your Republic. I only live to see you die!"
    ―Grievous, in a message to the Jedi Council

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Fair enough. I'm not sure though what Sidious told the Separatist Council that lead them to believe they'd be safe and at peace.

23. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Well, maybe he didn't. I mean what other options did the Nute and the rest of the leaders had? They could either obey Palpatine and believe that he would be able to pull this off, or wait for the Republic to arrest them and imprison them.

Another possibility is that, since the CIS was so successful in the earl years of the war, conquering pretty much everything and losing only a few battles, the CIS leaders (which had no military experience and thus probably could not really assess their situation) actually had faith in Sidious' skill to turn the situation around.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Ryan Hunt

Ryan Hunt Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 11, 2013
    Hey, partial newbie on here. I've been wondering this for a long time but never asked. When did everyone find out that Obi-Wan and Anakin would have a lightsaber duel in Revenge of the Sith? Were there rumors and spoilers that leaked before? Or did a trailer or movie poster officially release the shot of their lightsabers clashing on Mustafar?

Either way, what was everyone's thoughts when they found out Obi-Wan and Anakin would have a big duel? I was only 9 when ROTS was released, so I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Um Episode 4..............................