main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. phoebe_s78

phoebe_s78 Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2015

I like that idea. I was thinking the other day that maybe things could've been worse, had Qui-Gon lived. No one knows for sure, but it's fun to think about!

2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I will say this whenever somebody asks "If X thing was changed, would Anakin have turned?"

So long as Palpatine had access to Anakin, he would have turned. Palpatine was Anakins primary catalyst towards the Dark Side. Every time we see the two together, Palpatine is flattering Anakin, feeding his ego, telling him "You're the best, and anybody is a fool if they don't see it". Palpatine was the only authority figure Anakin felt close enough to to tell of the slaughter of the Tuskens.

phoebe_s78 likes this.
  3. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Anakin looked up to Qui-Gon like a father. After Qui-Gon died, Palpatine took his place instead of Obi-Wan. Unlike Obi-Wan, who had to be strict if he was going to teach Anakin anything, Palpatine constantly praised him.

If Qui-Gon had survived, it might have made Palpatine's plans somewhat more difficult. Nevertheless, I do not think it would have changed anything significant. As long as Anakin had a fear of being powerless to save a loved one, Palpatine had the advantage.

Valairy Scot and Dinos4Ever like this.
  4. phoebe_s78

Nov 20, 2015
    While I do believe that Palpatine's manipulations and praises allowed Anakin to trust in him, I wouldn't say that Palpatine took the place that Qui-Gon would've had, had he lived. Even though Obi-Wan and Anakin have a very layered and complicated relationship, Anakin does tell Obi-Wan that he is the closest thing he has to a father in AotC. But I completely agree with you in that Palpatine would have always had that advantage when Anakin felt powerless when wanting to save Padme.

5. phoebe_s78

Nov 20, 2015

It always makes me sad when I think of that scene :(, but you're right. Though I might say that Palpatine was the only authority figure that Anakin felt wouldn't judge him/get angry with him and just overall listen to him. Which is probably true. Though I wonder what Obi-Wan's reaction would've been.

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    In-universe though, isn't he considered the Order's best swordsman?

7. Mace Windu's Cousin

Mace Windu's Cousin Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2015
    Anyone here think a cool picture for stars wars poster/t shirt would be to have a picture with the concept "road not followed". Split the picture down into 2 halves. 1 1/2 we get what Annakin would of aged into/looked like if he had followed the light side with Obi-wan and him working together, him eventual becoming master, teaching/raising his kids, being happy with Padme,and becoming grand master of the order, and another 1/2 with Darth Vader, death star photo in back, sidious, imperial fighters, order 66 scenes, stormtroopers.

8. Hilal

Hilal Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2015
    In Episode III during the Order 66 sequence there is a short scene of a planet with large glowing leafy plants and a Twilek Jedi is killed. It strongly reminds me of Avatar. What is that planet called, and where can I see more of it?

9. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    That would be Felucia. It was featured in a handful of Clone Wars episodes as well as some of the issues of the comic book Republic that came out around the time Ep III was released.

Also look for the web strip Reversal of Fortune. It has a lot of Felucia in it--and it's really underrated.

Hope that helps!

Edit: I was wrong about it appearing in Republic. But I forgot that it was very important in the Force Unleashed video game and corresponding media. There is at least one level of the game that takes place there!

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Moving to the Random Questions thread. Thank you.

11. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    New What If Question: What if Sidious tried to turn Mace?

In the films and the EU, Mace has demonstrated some dark side tendencies. His lightsaber form [Vapaad] and lightsaber color [purple] supports this, too.

12. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015

IMO, the only two options are "Mace refuses" or "Mace becomes Dooku 2.0." Since Mace is not the chosen one, turning him would be bad - but the fate of the galaxy doesn't necessarily hinge on it.

13. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Does anyone know where this full size version of the ROTS DVD cover is from? I found it here: http://www.listal.com/viewimage/5725871h
    [​IMG]
    It shows slightly more of the image around the edges than the actual DVD cover shows and Vader's helmet is smaller.
    This is the actual DVD cover to compare:
    [​IMG]

Also, the official site had these prequel posters on their Prequel Trilogy Trailers segment (http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-trailers-part-2-the-prequel-trilogy):
    [​IMG]
    These look different than the theatrical posters. What were these used for?

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I have two but one escaped me. Damn. Anyways;

Did Qui-Gon know Padme was actually the queen? His reaction when she reveals it seems to suggest he at least suspected, though others have disagreed with me

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

15. SegNerd

Nov 18, 2015
    Yes, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan knew. It is in the script, as described here.

In my opinion, that makes Qui-Gon a little bit of a jerk for saying things like, "The Queen trusts my judgment. You should too," to Padme. Not evil, but just kind of
    arrogant.

16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    He might not have known at that point in the film though.

SegNerd likes this.
  17. SegNerd

Nov 18, 2015
    I didn't read the info in enough detail. I thought he already knew before the beginning of the movie, but I guess maybe not.

18. Darth Early

Darth Early Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2015
    I am new here and this topic was probably already discussed, but as TFA approaches I wanted to start it again...

Anyway here is what I was wondering about...

1. What if the Jedi Council had put more trust in Anakin?
    - He probably wouldn't seek out advice from Palpatine.

2. What if they sent Anakin instead of Obi-Wan to kill Grievous?
    - Anakin wouldn't spend time with Palpatine and Clone Wars would probably end. As the order to kill the Jedi wouldn't be initiated or wouldn't have the same result.

3. Could they at least not ask Anakin to spy on Palpatine?
    - This was a great mistake and total blindness! Not only is it contradictory to the Jedi code to spy on the Chancellor, but to send the supposed Chosen One to do it might be taken as offensive! They already sensed that something was wrong. Mace Windu concluded that it is dangerous putting them together.

4. And finally Obi-Wan shouldn't have used Padme to get Anakin. They should have left him alone! What if they both faced the Emperor and let Padme try to sway Anakin back alone?

All this begs a question. Did the Jedi create or at least propel their downfall with their total blindness? Was the Emperor that strong in clouding their judgement, or were they just blind and not ready as Yoda once said it himself?

It's probably stupid to discuss it in this manner, but I was wonder if anyone else had the same ideas...

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hi, Darth Early. Take a look at the stickied threads at the top of the forum - I am merging this into the "What if" thread - thanks.

20. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Question? Why does the Prequel banner not have a single battledroid? They were in all three movies.

21. Hoof

Hoof Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2015
    So I'm interested in your guys' opinion about the Council's comments in TPM. They are mostly incredulous at the fact the Sith have returned without their sensing it, yet in the book Darth Plagueis it notes the Galaxy had already been tipped irrevocably to the dark side by the Sith ten years earlier and that every Force-sensitive could sense it. What exactly did the Jedi think was behind this?

Another question is why does Qui-Gon and the Council thinks Darth Maul was after the Queen and not Anakin? It would make a lot more sense that this mysterious Sith warrior would be after the most Force-sensitive kid in the galaxy, wouldn't it? The only explanation I can think of is "the Force done told 'em".

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  22. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Well, i cant answer the first question but maybe i can answer the second. Seeing that they just found out the other day that Anakin was powerful in the force, which would mean this mysterious warrior probably wouldnt know about it. Because the queen is such an important person i think it would make sense to get to the conclusion that he was after her.

23. Hoof

Hoof Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2015

It's too bad they didn't touch upon this at least once. Chosen One found, the Sith coincidentally strike a day or two later.... Obviously, he's after the Queen.

Maybe the Sith were even keeping tabs on Anakin before Qui-Gon ever arrived on Tatooine, or perhaps they could sense something with the dark side the Jedi could not. There can always be a reason made up to explain why something wouldn't work, which is why the more plot-breaking seeming points should be addressed.

24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The Jedi knew The Force was out of balance but didn't know why.

25. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I was curious is there any other space opera series or trilogies that have the same tragic scope as the prequels. Where the good government becomes corrupt and evil or where the protagonist turns evil? I'm really interested in the story of the prequels so I was just curious.