main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    I thought he was hesitating (or maybe not hesitating but certainly not turning nasty) until the point when he saw Obi-Wan.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I saw no such hesitation. He humored her for a moment, but turned on her when she didn't go along with him.

Anakin basically laughed at her attempts to turn him back. When she said that Obi-Wan wanted to help them, he gave her a smile, as if to say "oh, that's so cute". When she asks him to run away, he again smiles and explains to his silly little wife that they don't have to because he's now a big, strong man, all with a big smile on his face. She again mentions Obi-Wan and Anakin's smile disappears. Moments later he lays the absolute on her, "the Jedi turned against me don't you turn against me". The hostility was definitely escalating before he saw Obi-Wan. When Obi-Wan reveals himself, Padme simultaneously claims she loves Anakin, and Anakin calls her a liar.

I don't think Anakin would have hesitated to go straight to combat on sight of Yoda, the Grand Master of the Evil Jedi Order who opposed his training in TPM. He wouldn't have even given Yoda the words he gave Obi-Wan. It's not that Anakin has a special ire for Yoda, just that he doesn't care for him like he cared about Obi-Wan, meaning he would have went straight to the business Palpatine tasked him with.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin said something to Obi-Wan, at least in the novel, that he would "let" him leave "for old times' sake." He would have done no such thing for Yoda, in fact, probably would have drawn his saber as soon as he saw Yoda step out of the ship.

I also think Anakin was mad as hell at Yoda after Yoda refused to "help" him save Padme.

And when was the "you're going down a path that I can't follow" line? Before or after Anakin caught sight of Obi-Wan? I remember it being before, which means that even if Obi-Wan hadn't shown up when he did, Anakin probably would have attacked Padme as she tried to leave, which I think would have been her next step.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Seems ambiguous due to "Slayer." :p

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    OK, fine...

I admit that I am an
    Anchorite.
    [​IMG]
    ;)

GGrievous likes this.
  6. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    AP - I believe it was before he saw Obi-Wan. In fact I think she said the line then Anakin looked and saw Obi-Wan and then said "Because of Obi-Wan". But getting back on track It's a very good question. Palpatine would have defeated Obi-Wan, He is just too strong. But I've often wondered if Yoda would have killed Anakin. I think that Yoda would have won the fight but he may have left him like Obi-Wan did.

7. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    I'm not sure if this has been covered before or not as I've only just joined, So sorry if it has. But why didn't Bail or the other senators call for a vote of no confidence with Palpatine?

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup:

Anakin: You turned her against me.
    Obi-Wan: You did that yourself.
    Anakin: I'll give you a chance, Obi-Wan. For old times' sake. Walk away.
    Obi-Wan: If only I could.
    Anakin: Go some place out of the way. Retire. Meditate. That's what you like, isn't it? You don't have to fight for peace anymore. Peace is here. My Empire is peace.
    Obi-Wan: Your Empire? It will never have peace. It was founded on treachery and innocent blood.
    Anakin: Don't make me kill you, Obi-Wan. If you are not with me, you are against me.
    Obi-Wan: Only Sith deal in absolutes, Anakin. The truth is never black and white. Let me take Padme to a medcenter. She's hurt, Anakin. She needs medical attention.
    Anakin: She stays.
    Obi-Wan: Anakin-
    Anakin: You don't get to take her anywhere. You don't get to touch her. She's mine, do you understand? It's your fault, all of it- you made her betray me!
    Obi-Wan: Anakin-
    (Anakin ignites lightsaber. Obi-Wan ignites his and raises it)
    Obi-Wan: Then I will do what I must.
    Anakin: You'll try.

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    End of discussion.

10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Their planets weren't being blockaded by the Trade Federation.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  11. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
  12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    ToonVader.JPG
    Best Vader, ever.

13. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Sidious would destroy Obi-Wan. Anakin verses Yoda may have not even ended up in a fight. Remember, Anakin went to Yoda when he was having those visions. Anakin's beef is with Mace, who seemed to be the one who distrusted him. Yoda could have talked Anakin down.

Dak Oolron and Tan-Wessel like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda probably wouldn't have tried. "The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader. Out of his misery, you must put him."

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Obi Wan gets killed.

Yoda beats Anakin because Anakin is not quite there yet. "...will become more powerful than either of us." But not yet. If Obi Wan could out-tactic Anankin, I think Yoda woul dhave done the same and perhaps sooner.

It would still have come down to Yoda vs Sidious and with Yoda probably losing the good guys would be minus Obi Wan on Tattooine for Luke.

Maybe then Yoda would have ventured to Tattooine posing as a Jawa. "Sell you droids, we will."

kainee and Darkslayer like this.
  16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Scenes like the arena in AOTC or the Gungan Army battle in TPM... were those 100% CG? Or did they spend like 20 minutes filming random grasslands, then digitally insert everything?

17. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Palpatine had the support of the Senate. The PT ends with him getting huge applause as he installs himself as a dictator. He controlled the Senate like a puppet master. That is made pretty clear in episodes II and III.

18. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    The way they filmed it made it seem as if anybody could make the call and it just had to be one person. There was obviously more to it than that. So do you mean they had a vote on the vote?. Say for example if it was 51% or more Yes then he is voted out and somebody else is elected, and if it's less then 51% Yes he stays in. At least that way having the support of the senate makes sense.

19. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Yes. Spot on.

Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    IIRC from an ancient "worst scene evAR" thread, the grasslands of Naboo were all CGI.

I'll dig around some more and see what I can find...

22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Those scenes were so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.

23. TheMandalorian115

TheMandalorian115 Jedi Padawan

Mar 7, 2013

[face_laugh] I know

24. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    At the OP, perhaps the Jedi felt that if they went together they would run out of time and lose their chance to take both Sith out.
    Also, I agree Sidious would have killed Obi-Wan. Particularly when Anakin's emotional connection to Obi-Wan, and the amount they knew each other's fighitng style was likely the reason Anakin lost. Plus, it's Sidious :D
    Yoda versus Anakin is more interesting to speculate on though. Like others have said, I don't think Yoda would hesitate to take him out, he wasn't Anakin any more, and Yoda in both the PT and OT didn't seem to think a Jedi could return from the darkside. It would have been cool to see Vader unleash his full potential against Yoda, but Yoda would have bested him eventually I think.

Actually, "Because of Obi-Wan?" came just seconds before Anakin saw Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan's appearance tragically came just at the moment Padme told him "Stop, come back. I love you!" If Obi-Wan hadn't shown up it is hard to say if Anakin wouldn't have come back. It certainly would have been more likely to reach him. The way Anakin looks up as he says "Because of Obi-Wan?" looks like he is looking at Obi-Wan, but if you watch closely he actually hadn't spotted him yet, he moves his head like that because of the question he is asking.
    Don't get me wrong, Anakin had already lost it by this point, but I don't see him lashing out at Padme so devestatingly without the paranoia she had abandoned him for Obi-Wan.

Lady_Skywalker87 and kainee like this.
  25. Obi-Wan_Lennon

Obi-Wan_Lennon Jedi Master

Jun 6, 2005
    Well, I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think Obi-Wan would've died if he faced Palpatine. I'm not saying that he would have beaten him or anything, but I think he could've maybe escaped. I mean the force seems to have a soft spot when it comes to Obi-Wan. It seems like he's always thrust into a situation where it looks like he's beaten, but he somehow always escapes - usually unscathed as well. As for Anakin vs. Yoda I'm kind of on the other end of that one too. I believe Anakin could have beaten Yoda. Not easily, but Yoda didn't really mean all that much to Anakin so he wouldn't of held back or anything. Also I think Anakin would've probably gone into like a "force-rage" and would eventually overpower the Jedi Master. Either way both duels are kinda awesome to think about.

Veloz likes this.