main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Didn't work.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Nothing. Those are fan-made.

3. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Why is the AOTC soundtrack incomplete?

4. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Because someone erased some music from the archive memory :p

Davak24 likes this.
  5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    And ROTS!

I think it has to do with the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition.

John Williams prefers to released 'highlights' albums, with selected tracks, re-edited in unusual ways. (See the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for another example of this)

However, he allowed the release of the Ultimate Edition for TPM. I believe that he was unhappy with the presentation of that album, such as awkwardly cutting the tracks up into smaller sections, so similar sets for AOTC and ROTS were never produced.

It still doesn't explain why it's been 13 years, and the full soundtrack hasn't been released.

Darthmaul208 and Davak24 like this.
  6. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    They do seem like they're fan made. But then why are they used in an article on the official site?

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's a blog post, but yes, they should have used official material. It's not the first time though.

8. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Can't think of any. Not in a popular franchise, anyway. Your best bet would be a big budget adaptation of Shakespeare's tragedies.

On TV HBO's show Rome deals with the fall of the Roman Republic. Another great TV series is Borgia (European version). The protagonist is similar to Anakin in a sense that he's constantly struggling with his inner demons. It's also the best recreation of Renaissance Europe I've seen on small screen so I recommend it if you like that period.

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Appreciate the response Thank you very much. :)

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Mind you, they are very adult shows, in every way.

I'm a book form, the Silmarillion is a very dark and sad book that chronicles the downfall of multiple characters along with entire nations.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  11. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Silmarillion is a LOTR universe based book, right? Sort of a prequel but not exactly?

12. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Tolkien started writing Silmarillion during WWI, long before The Hobbit and LOTR so it influenced those books to a large extent. But he continued tinkering with it for the rest of his life. So 'like a prequel but not exactly' is about right.

13. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Hm thank you. I've always been more of a Sci fi fan but I do have a spot for fantasy. Do I need to read the others like the Hobbit or LOTR? I did see the films but I know some Tolkien fans don't like them.

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Not really since the events precede LOTR and The Hobbit. It's a dense book and the first few chapters turn out a bit too dry or dense for some folks since it's not a traditional novel with a clear protagonist. But you don't even have to read it from cover to cover. The actual story starts with Chapter 6 Of Feanor and there's a case for reading just Beren and Luthien or Turin chapters since those stories are somewhat self contained.

Some good advice on reading Silmarillion http://observationdeck.kinja.com/how-to-read-the-silmarillion-and-why-1204809454

The Akallabeth describes the corruption of Numenor (mostly due to Men being greedy and desiring immortal life - remind of someone?) and destruction due Sauron's manipulation.

I'm one of them. FOTR was ok but the rest I couldn't stand. They didn't do justice to the characters and Peter Jackson is just too melodramatic for my taste. I know the majority preferred LOTR to the prequels and maybe they're better movies I couldn't help being irritated by them.

Darthmaul208 and Deliveranze like this.
  15. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

Thank you. Also really appreciate the links! My brother loves the Tolkienverse (not sure what it's called :p) and I think he might own them all. Honestly for the films, I only like The Two Towers as a newbie to the LOTR/Hobbit world. ROTK is considered the best but, why I like the battle scenes, I find the rest of the film shallow. I know I might get hate for this, but I really liked the Hobbit films more.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  16. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I echo the mentions of Tolkien. Out of curiosity is there demand for a Tolkien thread?

I talk about it on 'Barliman's chat' on the one ring.net, on Saturdays there is a special discussion on a topic so this week it on the Palantari. You can also go there and ask questions 24/7. No login required either.

The Silmarrillion is THE best book ever created. Nothing comes close to the scale that Tolkien envisions and what he achieves (or tries to at the very least), I managed it over a summer but it is dense and somewhat complicated. It isn't as accessible as some books but that is the thing about it. The key to it is just sticking with it and reading it to the end. Some stuff is just boring and incomprehensible (entire chapters on lineages and locations) but it will be one of those things that change your life.

Another thing that might be worth taking a look at is Battlestar Galactica.
    Silly name I know and some silly sci fi but alas overlook this (as many cannot and simply pass over it). It fits what you are looking for somewhat. It is a tv show (it is more than that to be fair, it is art, myth even) about a spaceship and a group of survivors after a nuclear annihilation of their worlds by the Cylons-robots that were created by us to improve our lives but then they rebelled. Oh and they have evolved so there are now human looking cylons in amongst the survivors.
    No other show deals with the range of topics Battlestar does. Religion is explored, politics, military, survival, terrorism, suicide, depression, war. It is all there.
    One example is when the good guys use suicide bombers to fight back a police state, it is surreal stuff with people taken by the police and executed. No other show does it.
    Start with the miniseries because that sets things up and it gets progessivly better. The finale and final season (there are 4 plus alot of spin offs) loses its pace and doesn't end up solving much but it is still good but there is a sense of disappointment.
    The characters too aren't heroes, they kill, they sin, they feel guilt, they act irrationally. So yes some are good and then turn bad but we invented those terms, good and bad.

And in case you hadn't heard the go to political show/books. Game of Thrones tv series and A Song Of Ice And Fire. They are lighter than say the Silmarrillion and Battlestar Galactica but they do a good job. The show has nudity and is graphic and adult, the books are too, sex, rape, homosexuality are involved but aren't the main focus. Some people are put off by this but it is realistic. Battlestar does some of the same stuff but without much nudity or sex. It is fairly safe though it does have such scenes as sex clothed and implied. The story follows a land of many families each trying to win the "iron throne" to rule the land. Politics, war, infighting and betrayel are the the themes here. The show is lighter than the books and tells an altered story. The books are written in 3rd person POV and follows many characters around the land so exploration is fun and enjoyable.

If there is anything else let me know.
    Malazan I think and The Chronicles of Narnia are also meant to be on a 'mythic' level.

If you want any more information or any videos about them or spoilers just PM me. Happy to talk about anything I've mentioned.

Deliveranze likes this.
  17. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Really appreciate the response, thank you!:) I've heard of Battlestar Galactica but I also know there is a 1978 show and the reboot. I assume you're talking about the newer show. I'll gladly check it out. If you could maybe find a space opera book series similar to Star Wars, please notify me! I'll check out the Silmarillion but I'm kind of intimidated because I have heard it's a very complicated book. I'll definitely give it a shot though. As of Game of Thrones, I tried to watch it with my family but.....let's just say.....it got really awkward fast. I realize it's probably not a show you want to watch with your parents and brother...lol[face_laugh]

18. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Shockingly I missed the two obvious examples.
    Sw Darth Plagiues, now legends but a good book on itself, explores the PT era and politics and how they interlink. So naboo and Padme are explored as well as the Trade Federation.

Also Sw Knights of the Old Republic features hero who turns bad. No spoilers there.
    Swtor does some politics but not much.

Forgot to mention Captain America the winter soldier and captain america the first avenger. politics and thriller from marvel, realistic. Also Civil war is coming that should deal with more of that.

I did mean the 2004 battlestar by the way, the original 70s version I don't think touches on any of the 04 stuff.

I don't actually read much sci fi. Haven't really found anything well looked hard enough for it. Usually it just sounds like trash, no offense intended, with aliens and general science being misused and terrible cop outs/ magic,

I made sure to do Game of Thrones in private because of that.

Do you write? Why not make your own? I know I have considered it enough times for it to be a thing, though I come from a different position I think, kinda more fantasy in space with a mythic tone and castles and not much magic.

Deliveranze likes this.
  19. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

I've intended to read Darth Plagueis because I do find his mysterious origins fascinating and I've just recently been getting into the KOTOR era, especially Darth Revan. I'll assume that's who your implying :D. The Winter Soldier was a great example by the way. The twist in that film was shocking to say the least.
    I will check out the 04 Battlestar Galactica, thank you. No offense taken. I don't read alot of sci fi books but I do love the concept of it in general. I have a soft spot for huge laser ground battles, energy swords and flying spaceships.
    I do write and have actually mapped out a six part series.......though I would be lying if I said it wasn't just a cheap rip off of what George Lucas did. It might take me some time before I find a story that works only within my own. I always liked sci fi or space opera books that refer to the central government as the Galactic Empire or Galactic Federation, because even if obviously it has nothing to do with Star Wars, my imagination likes think that these are side stories within the Star Wars universe.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  20. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    What does N/A mean? Some threads have N/A instead of replies.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    What the hell room is Obi-Wan hiding in when he stows away on Padme's ship on her way to Mustafar? Did he just find a random closet? Is it a bathroom? What?!

22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    CIS Droid N/A usually just stands for not applicable. If I'm dead wrong and it stands for something else, go ahead and get your tomato collection ready

BigAl6ft6 pretty sure it was a storage compartment of some sort. If old EU is taken into account though, even at hyperspace interplanetary travel can take hours or even days depending on how far the distance is. Maybe it really was a bathroom....

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    Thanks, could you answer my other question? Why does'nt the prequel banner have any battledroids?

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Sure. Simple answer is I guess there just wasn't room for them. I didn't play a role in designing the banner, so I can't say for sure. I suppose it's just a careful balance of where the major characters are and that just didn't leave enough room for the droids

(By the way - love the Santa hat on the droid in your av)

CIS Droid likes this.
  25. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    Thats a good explanation. And thanks for the compliment. I did it in Photoshop myself:)

jimkenobi and Seagoat like this.