main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Wow. I can't believe how many sources still claim he was born on Iridonia. Of course, they specify that he was a Dathomiri Nightbrother. Regardless, the whole 'Iridonian Zabrak' origin was completely scrapped, right? As far as I know, according to present canon, Dathomir was the planet of birth (though I can't find it explicitly stated anywhere).

Dathomir is listed only as Maul's 'homeworld', but was he actually born there?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Merged with random Qs thread
    Now imagine that but in big purple

God it's tough modding on an iPad

3. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Fixed Brotha.

4. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Ah, yes, just as so! Much appreciated

Ezon Pin likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So were Padme and Anakin legally married? It was a "secret ceremony" and all but for, like, tax purposes and mailing addresses and stuff. Or were they only married in the eyes of the guy who performed the ceremony, themselves and Artoo and Threepio?

6. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I think their marriage was more for the sake of sort of tradition or the "proper" way of being together. I doubt it was government-sanctioned in any way to preserve the secrecy of it

And that's also why C-3PO didn't change his name to C-D2

Antpocalypse, BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Madara Uchiha

Madara Uchiha Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2016
    What if Mace Windu and Yoda double teamed against Sidious?

8. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
    So by now I guess some of you know how much I love the Prequels but there's a little thing that's always been at the back of my mind, bothering me a bit. Now at the end of ROTS, we all know why Obi Wan was sent to kill Anakin and we all know that Anakin had to lose his arms and legs and become a cyborg. So story-wise I understand exactly why Obi cut off his limbs.

Now what I want to know is, does anyone know why exactly did Obi cut off his limbs from Obi's point of view? Like is there some explanation in a novel or a comic or something that explains why he chose to do that instead of just killing Anakin or just continuing the fight as it was going? Of course it had to happen at some point but I really want to understand why he did that or had to do that, from an in-universe view point.

Thanks!

EDIT: Like what was going on in Obi's mind at that moment, when he made that decision? Did he even make that decision or was it an unavoidable outcome due to the high ground thing? Or was it just a coincidence and pure chance that while swinging his saber to defend himself, Obi mistakenly cut off his limbs?

9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I think it was a thing of him having no choice

The whole duel was pretty much him defending himself. He was becoming exhausted while the dark side kept fueling Anakin on

At the same time as he needed to win, he couldn't bring himself to kill his brother-figure, so he went with the option of making it so Anakin couldn't possibly do anything

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Sepra and Antpocalypse like this.
  10. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Antpocalypse

In the ROTS novelization:

“Below his feet, Darth Vader burst into flame.
    “I hate you,” he screamed.
    Obi-Wan looked down. It would be a mercy to kill him.”
    “He was not feeling merciful.
    He was feeling calm, and clear, and he knew that to climb down to that black beach might cost him more time than he had.
    Another Sith Lord approached.
    In the end, there was only one choice. It was a choice he had made many years before, when he had passed his trials of Jedi Knighthood, and sworn himself to the Jedi forever. In the end, he was still Obi-Wan Kenobi, and he was still a Jedi, and he would not murder a helpless man.
    He would leave it to the will of the Force.
    He turned and walked away.
    After a moment, he began to run.
    He began to run because he realized, if he was fast enough, there was one thing he still could do for Anakin. He still could do honor to the memory of the man he had loved...”

The ROTS novelization is really great BTW.

Antpocalypse likes this.
  11. Antpocalypse

Jan 26, 2016
    Seagoat Sepra Thanks people!

So he left it to the will of the force. Hmm. I guess I've always felt that. But I was asking why he cut him in the first place, not why he left him there without mercy killing him. Seagoat does make a point but is that from canon or your own interpretation?

12. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I think it was how he had the take the shot. He was going for a kill, but Vader jumped too high for that, but just not high enough to get to the high ground. He got his legs first and then his arm as Vader fell. I don't think it was intentional, and the force still needed Vader so...

Valairy Scot likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Thats a new one.

14. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    "He is like my brother, I cannot do it"
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you"

Forgot about those lines?

15. Antpocalypse

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks. Could you kindly post the lines that refer to that moment between "I have the high ground" to "I hate you". Just want to know what is written in the novel about that moment Anakin leaps and Obi cuts him.

16. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Antpocalypse:

Here is the relevant scene, there isn't much there. I suspect because they added to it in post production:

“This is the end for you, Master,” he said. “I wish it were otherwise.”
    “Yes, Anakin, so do I,” Obi-Wan said as he sprinted into a leaping dive, making a spear of his blade.
    Anakin leaned aside and deflected the thrust almost contemptuously; he missed a cut at Obi-Wan’s legs as the Jedi Master flew past him.
    Obi-Wan turned his dive into a forward roll that left him barely teetering on the rim of a low cliff, just above the soft black sand of the riverbank. Anakin snarled a curse as he realized he’d been suckered, and leapt off his droid at Obi-Wan’s back—
    Half a second too slow.
    Obi-Wan’s whirl to parry didn’t meet Anakin’s blade. It met his knee. Then his other knee.
    And while Anakin was still in the air, burned-off lower legs only starting their topple down the cliff, Obi-Wan’s recovery to guard brought his blade through Anakin’s left arm above the elbow. He stepped back as Anakin fell.”

Antpocalypse likes this.
  17. Antpocalypse

Jan 26, 2016

Eugh, that's quite graphic, haha. Thanks for posting it. How come there is no "I have the high ground" "You underestimate my power" ?

And well I guess this clears it. It seems to be just a matter of chance that it happened the way it did. Didn't think Obi meant to do it on purpose.

18. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Like I said, I think that dialogue was added later. Matt Stover was probably given an earlier version of the script, and George Lucas always changes his mind at the last minute so my guess is it was one of those changes.

19. Antpocalypse

Jan 26, 2016

Ah ok, that's what you meant. Cool, thanks then.

20. Pax12

Pax12 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 14, 2015
    Why did Anakin talk about sand? He could have brought up something better to talk about.

21. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I know this isn't a serious question, but it's one of my favorite scenes in the prequels, so I'll bite. ;)

Padme and Anakin are hanging out on this romantic balcony. Padme, who has decided to wear a backless dress and set her makeup gun on its highest level, is talking about her childhood. Then she mentions how she loved to go swimming and then lay on the sand to dry off and name birds singing.

Anakin, who is probably at this point feeling like the top of his head is coming off with sensory overload, grasps at any way to turn this story into a pickup line. So he goes with the part where he doesn't like sand (hell, he's downright jealous of it at this point), segues right into how everything is smooth, and manages to take advantage of that open backed dress. Which, of course, Padme is totally into. Until she course corrects anyway.

Then the rest of the romance involves flirting, straddling, tickle fights and leather bustiers. At least on her side anyway. No wonder Anakin was so awkward, he never had a chance.

22. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Did the Separatists begin to leave the Republic in part because the Trade Federation learned that the Sith were trying to take control of it? Did this cause them to leave and arm themselves?

Sepra and Tanjint like this.
  23. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    At what point did Obi-Wan become a Jedi Master?

At what point did Obi-Wan become a sitting member of the Jedi Council?

How long after becoming a Knight did Anakin apply for Master status? Wasn't it less than a year? Why did he think he should become a master so quick? Because he was powerful? Specifically because he beat Dooku, a powerful Sith Lord?

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW movie takes plays very shortly after AOTC (Essential Readers Companion put it as 22 BBY, same year as AOTC)

Anakin was already a Knight by this point. Some tie-in media (The Clone Wars: Wild Space) dates his Knighting to just over 4 weeks after the Battle of Geonosis.

And RoTS is set 3 years later - I think Dark Disciple confirmed it as just over 3 years later.

Tanjint likes this.
  25. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I never got the sense of that. I always thought the the first Separatists were the Trade Federation and the like who were following Sidious' orders. The other planets were outlying planets that had little to no power in the Republic and so left because their needs weren't being met, or were taken over and occupied by Dooku and Grievous. That's why the end to the war was instantaneous. As soon as Vader killed the different unions and federations in league with Sidious, there was no other Separatist movement.

Darthmaul208, Iron_lord and Tanjint like this.