main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    Are midi-chlorians the true measurement of the force or are they just the (PT) Jedi's preferred interprettion of it?

I alwas took it as the latter because I like the idea of there being multiple interpretations of the force that different groups have, with many not actually being accurate. Adds more realism. In this sense its "jedi cannon", not "Star Wars" canon, per se.

But all criticism of midi-chlorians seems to interpret it as "Star Wars cannon", as if midi-chlorians are the only true measurement of the force. Then they argue they dont like it bexause it takes away the mistique and stuff.

So which is it?

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Midi's aren't the force, they're the specific force potential of an individual.

For example, Anakin had over 20000, which was higher than any Jedi. This suggested that his potential force power would be quite high.

There's only one mention of them by a non-Jedi group, Palpatine's small mention of Plagueis manipulating the midichlorians.

I think the Father in TCW might have mentioned them too.

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Just a technical point, Midi's are a specific measure of Force potential, they are not the "specific force potential of an individual". In other words midichlorians dont give a person force ability, they only measure potential. Maybe splitting hairs, but the word choice is important.

4. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    As we know in legends, Mace's mastery and application of Vaapad during the duel in the Chancellor's office enabled him to redirect Sidous's force lightning towards Sidious himself due to Vaapad's superconducting loop.

But is there a canon reference or explanation on how Mace was the only one to to redirect the lightning using his lightsaber back towards it's source? I saw Vaapad/Juyo is canon, but other than that no mention of the superconducting loop and accepting the opponent's darkness mentioned in legends.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Neither. Midi-chlorians are present in every life form, they are the biological link to the Force. The more you have, the easier it is to tap into the Force.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I have never seen that explanation. I know in theory that the more midi you have, the more force potential you have, but ease of force use has never been attributed to them, as far as I know.

7. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016

Has there ever been purposeful contradiction to this definition of midichlorians? For eg. has there ever been an organism that acted well beyond their MC count?

Im just curious if the pt jedis had their midichlorian science perfected or if that was just their best understanding of the force/MC's at the time. If its the latter, nd therefore an organism could, say, perform in the force beyond their MC count, then that invariably means the force can work in ways beyond midichlorians so to speak (nd I think that would be cool and interesting)

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's a consequence, not an explanation. Midi-chlorians are what makes someone aware of the Force, and therefore able to use it.

9. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014

Jedi "science". Like everything else in the PT with the Jedi, it's a way of showing their spiritual disconnect and distance from the Force.

Anyone can be Jedi. Midichlorians are attached to cells, so the more you commune with the Force, the more they will grow. It's like a virus, but it is the link between you and the Force. For some, it is natural to connect to the Force (just like some are natural singers or dancers, etc), hence why Jedi can sense possible students at a young age. The more you practice the Force, the more Midichlorians are reproduced and attach to your cells. Hence why Yoda and Sheev are so powerful, because they have been doing this for over a lifetime.

Technically a person like Han Solo could open up to the Force and train to be a Jedi. It takes discipline and is a life long goal though, so that's why Jedi start young. This did happen to Han overtime though, as in The Force Awakens, we see him shooting Stormtroopers without looking, and then looking confused onto why he just did that. This is also why magic stick man ( I forget his name) in Rogue One can use part the force to see, despite not being a Jedi.

Anakin was born with a high concentration of midichlorians, since he's the chosen one. Essentially like buying a microtransaction in one of those free to play games to get crystals instead of waiting 24 hours.

The only effect this has on the Star Wars universe is:

- The Skywalker bloodline will always be strong in the force
    - Missing body parts will hamper your overall force potential, as you are now missing cells for Midichlorians to attach to.

10. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014

You're not born with a set Midichlorian count. Some are born higher than others, but use of the force overtime increases. We don't know the exact details, but for example:

A is born with 100 Midichlorians
    B is born with 50 Midchlorians

If A does not connect with the Force in their life, they will have 100 midchlorians or less until they die and join the Cosmic force.
    If B connects with the Force, and does so on a regular basis, they could have 10,000 midichlorians by the time they die.
    If B trains, and then stops for 10 years, his midichlorian count will diminish, and he will not be as powerful, and maybe not even able to connect with the force at all.

This is why Obi-wan was weak in ANH, because he didn't really use the Force outside meditating for 20 years, rather than jumping off walls like Yoda did back when they used the Force all the time.

The force does work beyond midichlorians. It's just organisms use the frce through midichlorians to do things like mediate, force push, force choke, etc.

As far as we know, there is no "you must reach x midichlorian count to use force choke". It's just the power behind the action that increases. I also believe midichlorians help decide the strength of one's force barrier. For example, someone with 5k midichlorians may not be able to easily choke someone with 10k, but with the roles reversed, a 10k midichlorian could easily choke a 5k. This would help explain why more powerful force users can easily grab/choke opponents during battle, but the same doesn't happen to them.

Torib likes this.
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What...?! Some people seriously need to rewatch the movies and pay attention to the dialogue.

12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    When Anakin go's to tell Palps Obi has engaged Gen Grievous. What Is Palps looking at on the screen before he turns around?. The Death Star? A planet?

Deliveranze likes this.
  13. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I always liked to think it was the Death Star plans. He shut it off WAY too quickly when Anakin entered.

B99 likes this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Some one ask Pablo, lol.

15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    When Poggle The Lesser gives Dooku the DS plans. When he says "What WE are planning to build." He means Dooku helped plan it??

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He meant the Geonosians, they are weapon builders. That doesn't mean Dooku was not in on the plan.

B99 likes this.
  17. bhagavandas

bhagavandas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2016
    How much Qui Gon knew about Ani's future? I mean, he "interfere" a lot in the future of the kid. He allowed Padme to go with him in Tatooine, he used his tricks in the dice game with Watto, practically imposed for the Council that he was going to train and boy, and so on.

I mean, it was all meaned to happen or Qui Gon interfere too much? He somehow knew everything that was going to happen?
    There is some canon material explaining this?

I've heard a long ago that in the duel with Maul, in the laser gates, he had a vision about everything that's going to happen.
    It's true?

Thank you very much.

Enviado de meu XT1563 usando Tapatalk

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'm not sure[face_dunno] , but he did truly believe he was the chosen one and said finding him was the will of the force. So I think that's why he pushed it so much.

bhagavandas likes this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Knew? Nothing. He believed he was the Chosen One and that he would bring balance to the Force.

As for anything else:

"His future is uncertain but he's not dangerous." - Qui-Gon Jinn

No.

bhagavandas likes this.
  20. bhagavandas

bhagavandas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2016
    Thank you very much Alexrd for the answers. Anyway, still open if anyone have more opinions.

And another question that I Have is, in AotC, why Master Windu says that the Jedis don't have anymore the same connection with the force that they have before??

Enviado de meu XT1563 usando Tapatalk

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not the connection. He said that their ability to use the Force has diminished. Because the dark side is growing, it clouds everything, including the Jedi's ability of foresight.

Mace says that in reply to Yoda, who said:

"Blind we are, if the creation of this clone army we could not see."

And at the beginning of the movie, Yoda states:

"The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is."

heels1785 likes this.
  22. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    How long passed from the moment Darth Sidious named Anakin Skywalker Darth Vader to the point where he received the black armor?

Deliveranze likes this.
  23. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Good question. I would say roughly 2 days. Anakin becomes Vader and that same night, attacks the Temple. Afterwards, he talks to Padme and heads to Mustafar. If that's the first day, then Obi-Wan arrives a day or so later during the daytime and Vader arrives on Mustafar. Then when Obi-Wan asks Padme when she last saw him, she says "yesterday." So only 2-3 days.

24. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    What happen to Qui-Gon's lightsaber? And why didn't Obi-Wan ever go with a green lightsaber?

25. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    But how long was the travel time to and back from Mustafar?

Deliveranze likes this.