main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Have any of you ever had your ears cleaned

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU DIDN'T HEAR STAR CITIZEN SUCKS. ZINGGGGGG

But seriously, I have a dr appt tomorrow and I'm pretty sure that they're going to do a cleaning. I've never had this done before and webmd told me that 1% of patients contract cancer from their drs during the cleaning. Someone tell me what really happens and if it's as awful as the internet makes it sound.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I've had it done. It admittedly feels kind of weird, but its no big deal. You'll hear a lot better afterwards.

3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Don't panic when they bring out the giant drill. It's perfectly safe.

Unless they've reused drill bits, in which case you can catch ear herpes from the last patient. Demand to see them put in a fresh bit.

Falcon and SuperWatto like this.
  5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Yes, a couple times. Didn't have any problems afterward that I can remember.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's totally fine, though I definitely recommend an actual ENT person (otolayrnologist) doing it. I have very, very narrow ear canals and normal washing / cleaning still requires me to get them cleaned approx. every 18-24 months. It'll feel a little weird, and sound loud (since they'll be flushing water directly into your ear), but it will be no messier than a dentist and you'll be fine and hear better after.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  7. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    What does cleaning involve? I had my ears syringed with warm water as a kid, but I don't think doctors do that anymore, for risk of a perforated eardrum

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

It involves injecting warm water into your ear canal to loosen all the wax and the sucking out the contents. As I said upthread, I've had it done before. It feels kind of weird, but its no big deal.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

This still works and is largely not dangerous, so long as you're not power washing your ears or anything. This is essentially how Debrox (a wax loosener) works.

10. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Almost the same treatment. There was no sucking for me, the pressure of the water washed out the wax.

11. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Every once in a while, my audiologist will clean my ears out. However, there was that stretch of 3-4 years back in high school when I never got them cleaned out. When I finally did, the wax build-up was so strong it didn't want to come out. Finally, this pellet-shaped gray and golden thing came ripping out, and it took a chunk of skin with it. Painful like a mother******.

But, yeah, no, I think you'll be okay.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  12. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sorry for you imminent cancer. We'll all be praying for you once you're diagnosed.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  13. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    everything on webmd gives you cancer

14. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I go to my ENT every 6 months like my dentist, because I produce an inordinate amount of ear wax and my ear canals are very narrow, so I clog up real easy (by the way ladies I'm single and very much available).

ENT just sucks out the earwax, and if it becomes troublesome he shoots warm water in there to loosen things up. The only side effect you might be subjected to is temporary vertigo, but it goes away in minutes.

15. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    What is star citizen?

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i tried one of those ear candles once. pretty cool. after you stick it your ear and light it it fills up with your snake oil.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My ears are amazingly clean.

And if you're worried about a 1% chance of cancer, then I have some really, really bad news.

18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Had my ears cleaned a couple of times as a child. It was way worth it, for the clarity of hearing that ensued.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Have you not considered an ear candling, SLG? 9/10 Phrenologists recommend it!

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It's part of the current space opera revival.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

10/10 internets right there people.

SuperWatto likes this.
  22. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I clean mine every day with soap. Do I win a prize?

23. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah, I was gonna ask why this is necessary if you clean them every day on your own.

24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My ears are overdue for a cleaning, but I've had them cleaned in the past. My doctor used a Water Pic to blast warm water into my ears and wash out all the gunk. It's noisy and uncomfortable, but being able to hear afterward is amazing.

Even though the volume of everything is dialed up to eleven.

25. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i guess theyre gonna clean out her ear canal or something, which is something ive heard that people shouldnt do on their own anyway. i heard it some place, i swear