main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Have I mentioned that we are having a Star Wars/Rennassaince wedding on July 1st!!!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Sep 14, 2005.

1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I am putting the word out to everyone that did not already know that Jake and I are getting married on June 21st of this year. I finally convinced him that we could have a combination Star Wars/Rennassaince style wedding and have fun and not embarrass ourselves. As it stands right now it is all being held outdoors.. but I am really wanting to find an indoor spot as costumes will be so hot.. so if anyone has any ideas.. please let me know.. We are asking guests to come in costume(optional) and then the entertainment is going to be courtesian style, with wandering minstrel, juggler, illusionist and of course people milling about in SW costumes for photo opps and such. Also, we may have Karoake, but we need a DJ for that. All the music other than the Karoake will be Star Wars themed. The cakes will have the Star Wars/Rennassaince theme as well.. as well as the food.

I think with all that has transpired with Hurricanes and fundraisers and just daily life I forgot to bring this up at our meetings.

I am wanting as many thoughts and ideas as anyone can give me. So post on when and if you think of anything.

edited - updated date in title for cathie

2. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Have I mentioned ditto? But no Rennassaince stuff and not the 21st.

We need to brainstorm together cathie ;)

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Very nice idea. I am noticing a lot of websites/photo spots that have pictures.. seems a lot of people accidentally include Rennassaince simply based on clothing of females being similar to Rennassaince.. for us the Rennassaince is coming into play in the food.. and entertainment.. the rest is all Star Wars.. though my dress is up for question.. it is neither directly from Star Wars or Rennassaince.. Just a very nice Celtic style dress that I like.. I rather think Leia or Padme would like it!!!

Let's brainstorm tons!!!! I am so ready for that!!! Are you getting married here or on the east coast.

4. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Tucson Botanical Gardens is beautiful... and has indoor airconditioning!!! huge plus.. originally we were going with a mountain top wedding and poolside reception.. but with costumes.. that just seems so hot in June.. I really wanted a winter wedding.. but no way with the kids.. unless we replan it for December of 2006 instead of June21.. which might actually be an option!! what do ya'll think.. spend $800 on a site that has air conditioning in the summer.. or spend $100 on a site that has no air conditioning.. something like Tumacacori. Tumacacori is beautiful.. but no air conditioning.. so no way to use this facility in the summer. Actually.. Jake and I are talking.. and it looks like we have made an agreement to go with December 23rd, 2006 a Saturday.. otherwise it is just too hot with costumes.. and we have to go with either summer/or christmas or my kids won't be here.

NEW WEDDING DATE DECEMBER 23RD, 2006

Oh boy.. now I have a year and three months instead of no time at all!!! And the possibility of using Tumacacori is great!!! Though I am still hoping for enough savings to go with the Tucson Botanical Gardens!!

Jada when is your wedding planned for..

5. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    WEll, first we have to become officially engaged but the other day he sent me a message saying "So, what month did you want to get married?" [face_laugh]

My reaction? I fainted. [face_plain] :p

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
  7. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i dont know much about hte weather down there, but how are kilts in december?

8. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    [face_laugh] well.. four years ago for christmas I hiked up the mountain with a friend and we had to wear shorts.. even on the top because it was so hot.. it gets cool... but not so as one would freeze during the day. Last year I guess we used coats at night.. but never during the day.. I didn't anyway. hmm.. I wonder if any guests will show up in Kilts.. It is on the list of costumes.. but for us.. lots of armor and long sleeves with imperial/rebel/jedi costumes.. means cooler is better than warm. Let's hope anyway.

9. Commander_Clem

Commander_Clem Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    Hey all, thanks for coming over and visiting the NM threads, it great seeing new folks there.

10. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    Congratulations to all that are getting married. December is the perfect time for a wedding, IMO. My parents' aniversary is December 22. Cathie, you can use this as an excuse to get twice the SW stuff this year. Just tell everyone that they have to give you a differnet gift for the wedding AND Christmas. Maybe you can register at SWShop.com ;). Anyway, enough joking, congratulations and I wish the best of luck to you.

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    date is back to summer.. but we now have an indoor air-conditioned place to hold reception.. just had to convince my future mother-in-law that Star Wars can be combined with Renassaince and still be great!!! I am even more excited now!!! Ya'll are gonna have to give J and I a lightsaber archway to enter through at the reception!!

12. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    This sounds awesome, If you need a vader Im there, but it'll be hard to eat the cake!
    You have my FX sabers at your disposal for the archway, my wife has even gotten excited abuot it and is looking into a Padme dress! That was a shocker! Up until this point I just thought she tolerated me and my hobbies. Now look at what my daughters costume is going to be!

[image=http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/01/ae/c2_2.JPG?set_id=7]

13. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Crap! I was going to steal your date :p

Actually, it looks like we'll be doing it hopefully in May.

OK, that depends on alot.

Elope!!!!!!!111!!!

14. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    Cool, I can wear a couple of costumes...Wear Clone when ushering people in, A Jedi for the sword archway,
    and Jango Fett at the after party!!!!1111111oneoneoneone We are very disturbed....but hey, its FUN!!!!!!

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I love that you are all getting into the plan.. the date looks like it will change to a saturday though.. problems for people if I leave it on a thursday.. so either june 23rd or june 30th.. I will let you know the instant we know.

Mugen.. I love that you will wear all three of your costumes.. that is so kewl... you will have to leave the wedding site quickly and go change at the reception site so you can do the lightsaber archway. However.. I am thinking the lightsaber arch can be with jedi or sith. It will probably be a little past dusk.. so should look really kewl I think.. the arch will be indoors.. but no light but candlelight. I'm going a bit crazy right now.. I go in patches.. crazy planning for a few days.. then nothing for a few days.. back and forth.. now I am worried again.. because June is so much sooner.. I was aiming for trying for July/August.. but my future in laws.. the other ones.. the step mom.. fears the monsoons will be upon us if I wait.. though the wedding ceremony will only last for 15 minutes on top of A mountain in the sentinel peak lookout point. Then on to the reception.

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    looking for ideas for designing invitations.. combining medieval/star wars together.. thinking castles/starships land/planets anyone have any good books for any of this.. with lots of pictures..

also.. anyone know of anywhere in Tucson I can find some decent and pretty gazing balls.. not at wal mart, or target or michaels.. I have been to those three and they had none. this is the link I have been looking at.. but so expensive to ship them.. and he can only give a small discount for shipping.gazing balls

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    DSJ I think you should wear the Vader.. that would be so neat.. but you certainly do not have too... wear whatever you want.. I just want us all to have fun.. you can of course take off the helmet to eat.. speaking of.. we are going to have a buffet.. but you only get one meat choice of three.. I will be putting menu cards in the invitation and you check off your choice and mail back.. so my question is... meat.. smoked turkey leg/ beef of some sort (Ideas folks?? all I can think of is Prime Rib.. but it is SO EXPENSIVE.. what if everyone orders prime rib.. it will cost me hundreds of dollars to feed them.. they say a full rib roast will feed 14 people.. and we are looking at over 100 people) and then a pork/ham meat as well.. so three choices.. turkey, cow, pig......... what are your ideas.. esp.. on beef ideas.

18. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    considering apricot glazed chicken, pork roast, and smoked turkey legs.. and ignoring beef altogether.

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    As friends of mine.. I have a question.. and this is just beginning questions.. it is going to cost approx $15 per person for food.. and we are catering ourselves.. I have family coming from out of state bringing their older kids.. aged 11 and up.. about ten kids I think all in all.. however.. if I invite the kids of everyone I invite to the wedding at $10 dollars a head to feed.. you are looking at near $1000 to feed all these kids of my friends... I don't have that kind of money.. what do ya'll think.. if you came to my wedding with your mate/or guest and saw some kids there but you knew your kids had not been invited would you be upset.. or would you understand at $15 a head to feed I could not afford to have all the kids of all the guests in attendance. I am in a dilemma.. and unsure what to do.

20. Jamesmorbidia

Jamesmorbidia Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2005
    Well thats a tough one...If I got there and there were other kids, say Jada's age, but she wasnt invited then I might feel a bit jaded. But again I know Jada isnt old enough to behave for multiple hours in such situations so I wouldnt bring her even if there was an invite. Now again you are inviting only older kids, then I wouldn't have a second thought. So its kind of a toss up. Thats just me, and again Im only a friend, so again I wouldn't expect to bring Jada. Now, Hypetheticaly, if I was family it would again be a different story.... Wow that is a lot of nothing [face_hypnotized]

21. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    Charge 10-15 dollars a head...I know its a wedding and all...but its also a Ren Wars event too...

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    how would you feel if the children had an alternative menu... say spaghetti/little mini corn dogs.. and we would just announce children's buffet. This is what my best friend in Texas suggests...and she has been to about fifty or more weddings.. and said this is the norm these days.. to do a buffet... and then a different children's buffet.. and she also suggests only two entree selections for adults.

23. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    oh my.. I can't charge.. wish I could.. but I can't. I think some people would be very upset if I told them they had to pay to come to my wedding.

24. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    now if people are interested in coming.. and I don't know them... and they are not invited guests.. that may be a different story.. but I somehow don't see a lot of people just showing up.. we shall see though.. what a thought.. my wedding a SW/Ren event. I never thought of it in that way before.. we are all going to entertain everyone in our costumes and gear.

25. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    For ours, we kind of pot lucked it, and family meembers all made something and had it there, and we just announed, "ok...EAT!" and pointed to where th eline started, and turned out we had more food than needed and a real nice variety

Oh and I promise not to look like Anakin when I take my helmet off!