Have some fans come down too hard on Lucas about TPM?

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by TheJediCharles, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Then don't vote?

Didn't, I came here for what was an interesting discussion -- for a while, but then it just dissengrated into big ball of insults and hostilities.

I can have any opinion I dang well please.

Absolutely. But the fact you start a blatant "bashers shove off" thread states the hypocricy that you are not OK with us having any opinion we dang well please.

CharlesJedi: "Sure, just take your anti-TPM opinions elsewhere."*

Oh, that makes sense, take our TPM opinions to non-TPM discussion forums. That gets threads locked quicker than flaming on any board you go to.

*Yes, I am aware you didn't say that in your last response, I was just anticipating the obvious.

EDIT - Stryphe gives TheJediCharles a big sloppy kiss.

2. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    It's "I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee", Darth-Stryphe.
  3. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    --What do you think 3PO, a gusher and a basher like me?--
    If you look anything like the pic you use as your icon, Bud, forget it! ;)
  4. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I have to apologize to CBJedi though. I'm glad he didn't edit or interfere with this thread in any way. It was a brilliant way for him to expose the difference between the way the gushers and the bashers argue.
  5. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    It's "I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee", Darth-Stryphe.

What, what did I say? (Goes back and checks)

Doh!!!
  6. TheJediCharles Jedi Master

star 3
    "But the fact you start a blatant "bashers shove off" thread states the hypocricy that you are not OK with us having any opinion we dang well please."

How in the heck can I make anyone vote how they don't want to? What is hypocritical about admiting I'm intested in making a poll to demonstrate that bashers have come down to hard on Lucas? You can have your own opinions and it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to commit any act of hypocrocy to sucker you into having any opinion but your own.

"*Yes, I am aware you didn't say that in your last response, I was just anticipating the obvious."

You speak for yourself, buddy.

But, you're right that there is obviousness hereabouts. You'll have to argue alone because I'm not participating anymore. But, the good news for you is, if I don't argue back with you then you won't say anything you'll have to say you're sorry for later.
  7. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
  8. Ransom Jedi Knight

star 3
    Charles, do I need to point out that your poll doesn't ask whether "bashers" as a group have come down too hard on Lucas, but whether "some fans" have done so? To vote "no," one would have to think that NO fans have come down too hard on Lucas. Not very likely.

It appears that you want to use the poll to be able to say, "Look bashers, most people here think that you're wrong and are being unfair to George." But the poll doesn't ask that. The bigger problem is that you can't combine a group of people who didn't care as much for TPM as other SW movies and treat them as if they are if they are no different than the most rude and unreasonable of the group. For that reason, it is a loaded poll.

That may be what has caused the irritation. :)

EDIT: left out a word
  9. TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well said, Ransom.

Let's hope that TheJediCharles can see the error of this hate-filled thread.

See through him, we do.

The "No" response was a set-up and a loaded question. Instead of giving multiple options he narrowed it down to one moderate position and one extreme position.

He should have given more choices to make it fair.
  10. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    "Hate-filled thread"? Oh, that's rich, TrueJedi. Your fellow bashers contributed a good portion of that hate.
  11. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    What is hypocritical about admiting I'm intested in making a poll to demonstrate that bashers have come down to hard on Lucas?

Well, basher/gusher threads (minus the various sanctuaries, are not allowed), as stated by NathanDahlins, and recently re-inforced by CB.

Secondly, your missing the point of my "hypocricy" statement.

I wrote: "and it was obviously just an attempt for you to find a way to tell bashers to "shove off", which you later admit"

You wrote: "Then why are you pointing out what I already openly admit?" And "I can have any opinion I dang well please."

So from that I must conclude that you can the right to have whatever opinion you want while posting here, but bashers don't. That is the hypocricy I spoke of. So what I am saying is the doors swings both ways. And no, I don't support Lucas bashing, but I am rather annoyed with him right now. Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT - Yeah, what Ransom said. Now, let's all leave and go to our various sanctuaries for pizza and beer before the wrath of the moderators befalls us all.
  12. TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Hate-filled thread"? Oh, that's rich, TrueJedi. Your fellow bashers contributed a good portion of that hate.

Since when is defending yourself considered contributing to the hate?

You know as well as I do that this thread was created to incite and troll. Why won't you stand on the side of what's right just because you're a gusher? Do the right thing and remember we're all SW fans here. Purposely trying to create divisions serves no one but the Trekkies.

I beg you not to allow yourself to be used as an instrument of destruction of the SW fan-base by the Trekkies. I beg you to do the right thing and stand with me the rest of the SW fans.

Please, before it's too late.
  13. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Defending yourself? Even richer, TrueJedi. I saw very little "defense of yourself" posting and a lot of vituperative, willfully inciteful stuff from bashers.
  14. TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Shelley, here I am begging you to join me as a fellow SW fan and instead you spit in my face. Why? Why would you do that?

Regardless, my hand of friendship remains extended. Take it. Don't let the Trekkies win. Please.
  15. prof_frink Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was just kidding earlier ... jabadabadoo replied to my post...

Now let's all go for ice cream...

And Jedi Charles - you're right this thread has veered from it's original intention, but most debates do...
  16. EnforcerSG Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, this thread blew up nice...hmm, much anger i sence in ya'll.

One thing about the whole deadline that bothered me was this. The whole argument that they did not get all the mat lines out cause of time...well, they point out the mat line if ROTJ with the rancor in the making of segment before the movie, but they did not take that one out. That always bothered me. It seemed to me like "Here is a flaw that is still in the films, so we have to go back later and punch out another edition."

And in all reality, it is not too hard to fix mat lines, not by a long shot. I probably could do a bit of it on my PC now without too much of a problem.

With the whole thing of gredo shot first, it was always meant to be like that... well, i just checked, it was not in my copy of the original script (i have the book with all three in one compairing the original versions and the OT together, and it said that the encounter with gredo came in in the fourth draft, which as far as i know (and someone confirm or deny) was prety close to what actually was, and if there is somehow a fourth draft floating out there, did gredo shot first? I find it a good sized strech of the imagenation that it was always meant for Gredo to shot first, but it is not documented (prove aside from Lucas's word that it was his original plan type question).

If i am making sense, tell me, if not, then snub me.

And remember, calm down, relax, you all will live longer.

(BTW, i loved the SE except for the gredo shot, but that was a little thing, and the one thing i didnt like, i liked prety much all of the other changes, except that all the old sceans were not put in).
  17. TheJediCharles Jedi Master

star 3
    Sorry, ransom. The problem with YOUR idea is that if I used the term BASHER in my poll it would have been locked on sight.

If your theory is true then EVERYONE would have voted for A. Why didn't they? Why did anyone vote for B? Because the vast majority of people who came to the poll got the point and didn't see it as hatefilled. The only hate is in the eyes of the beholders.

Isn't that right, TJ?

Just vote or not. Everytime any bashers try to discredit this poll they only 'up it' again and it gets voted on more and more and the light becomes clearer and clearer to the ones that stand the most to learn from it.

"Since when is defending yourself considered contributing to the hate?"

Since when is posting a fair unbias poll an act of hate? Give me a break. TJ, if I ever saw you in a thread that was just plain chit-chatting about Star Wars and wasn't centered around a conflict I'd literally roll over and die. Just look at your titles to your started threads! I wouldn't say you're hateful, but you sure relish negativism here.
  18. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Statement: every emotionally charged debate in the TPM forum eventually devolves into a debate about the nature of the gusher-basher debate.

Anyone care to debate that?
  19. TheJediCharles Jedi Master

star 3
    First, thank you cbjedi for letting me say this.

To everyone I offended by saying they 'should leave' I am sorry.

To everyone who took this poll as being bias or negative, although I didn't intend this from the outset, I am still indeed sorry for how it turned out and for how much was my fault.

Please accept my regrets.
  20. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I want to also publicly repeat my apology to CBJedi. I flew off the handle and took out my frustrations about the thread on him, knowing that as a moderator he has to swallow a lot of unfair criticism. His response was entirely justified.
  21. TheJediCharles Jedi Master

star 3
    Sorry Jabba.

Virtual handshake?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.