main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Have the Japanese invented fan films yet?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Covax, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    There?s no way to really ask the question without sounding like a redneck/guailo but I have to ask.

I?ve seen such lavish attention to detail in Cosplay and have recently seen a laughable ? it was played for laughs - Naurto fan stage feature. Asians in the fan films I?ve seen are a rarity, but I?m just wondering what else is out there. With the up-swing in anime-style live action feature films and indy projects I would assume it would be a fertile ground for the fan film genre. Unfortunately the language barriers keep me from investigating that much deeper; I can?t discover Asian indy fantasy films with the same frequency I do indy martial arts films, say.

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    Dr. Wong Fu Battle was a good character. [face_thinking]

3. AzerNik

AzerNik Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I remember awhile back I ran across some websites for what appeared to be some Japanese indy filmmakers of some sort. Among them was a website for some sort of annual, or semi-annual, "gun movie" contest/festival. Alas, I couldn't figure out if any of them were available for download and then later I lost the links for them.

However, one has to keep in mind that the Japanese film industry is, from a certain point of view, about a decade behind the US. In some ways it's still more indy-like, if you will. So the whole fan film thing may not have caught on there yet.

4. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Casshern is basically a fanfilm.

5. AzerNik

AzerNik Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Bam!

Haven't done that in awhile. Sadly, it's true.

6. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Ahh.. Casshern. I think I saw the original back in the day.
    I need to see the live action one. It looks ridiculously... overdone.

7. MarcusDade

MarcusDade Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    i think the japanese have invented enough stuff already. they probably need to take a break for a while before the "good fanfilm" makes its appearance in good ol' japan. :p

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I wonder if they take American cartoons and make crappy music videos out of them to put on YouTube.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    You imply that there are good American cartoons in the first place for such a thing to happen.

Though paired with the "ten years behind" statement... there were good cartoons ten years ago... I think...

10. Cramer

Cramer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    I will fight to the death that Robot Chicken is a good cartoon.

11. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    You imply that there are good American cartoons in the first place for such a thing to happen.

Hmm. Recent good American cartoons. I like what I've seen of "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends". And I did dig the "Clone Wars" shorts, more for style than for story (though the voice cast left something to be desired).

(shrug)

I am doing a good job of keeping this thread on-topic and deserve a raise.

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    Um, Robot chicken is not a cartoon. It's stop motion animation using action figures and such. Not "my" definition of a cartoon... regardless of what source, legitimate or otherwise, may say. Good stuff though.

13. madhorizons

madhorizons Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2006
    I like the WB batman cartoons that were done in black. I think during that time was batman, superman, batman/superman adventures, and so on. Long live Ren and Stimpy!! Muwhahwahhahha :p

14. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    Yea, Justice League/JLU rocked.

Anywho, for the curious and bored here's that Naruto Cosplay Video.

15. sithjeff

sithjeff Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2005
    What about Rocko's Modern Life guys? That was so good back in the day. You can still watch it on the nicktoons channel if you have those extra 100s of channels you can get with Comcast Digital Cable.

16. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Recent cartoons. Rocko went out the window with the rest of Nickelodeon's programming when the MTV parent company took it over.
    I agree. You now make 20% more than you previously did as a mod. Should help contribute to your August income.

17. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    "Here's your raise!"

//Liar Liar
    [face_whistling]

18. dan-yoda

dan-yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    That comment made me laugh. Have they invented it yet? For someone to invent something you have to be the first one to do it, and since fan films have been done in America and other civilized nations the Japanese can't 'invent' it. It would've been much better if you said "Have the Japanese Made Fan Films Yet?"

19. DarthMeekAndMild

DarthMeekAndMild Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2004
    Um... that's why it's funny...

20. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
  21. liambauckham

liambauckham Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    pedant alert

22. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    When we do start seeing more Japanese fanfilms, we can be sure that they'll be smaller and more efficient than the American ones.

23. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Have to agree with you with the exception of "Fairly Oddparents", that show just cracks me up, and I'm not really a big TV watcher these days. Still, I miss Doug, and by that I mean the real Doug, before Disney messed with it...ko-wee-coo-coo!

24. Krintar

Krintar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Also, try using caps and punctuation. It makes you appear intelligent. Crazy concept, I know.

25. liambauckham

liambauckham Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.