main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Have the Jedi become boring?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DigitalMessiah, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  3. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    But those weren't emotions. Obi-Wan saw a giant spider and Yoda really, really needed to poop.

And Mace was just saying, "Hey, look at the size of my lightsaber!"

For some reason that line worked for him Every. Time. in the Outlander Club.

5. MasterSanders

MasterSanders Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2014
    My whole point is that there are good passions and good emotions and that there should be encouragement of the good rather than trying to just push down your emotions in general... Just saying as the jedi code stands I think the jedi code is too narrow minded and doesn't express a full knowledge of the force especially since you see other force users doing some awesome things that the jedi should also learn to do... Like Aing-Tii and others... There's so much more but I think I've already written in previous posts all the things I wish the Jedi would add to their abilities, powers, and overall knowledge of the force...

6. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    And now you understand why the Jedi Order of the PT was doomed to fail.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The only reason the PT Order failed is that they had gotten too complacent.

They assumed that if/when the Sith returned, they would do so openly. They never in a thousand years (literally) would think that the Sith would take the form of a businessman and a politician and infiltrate the very government the Jedi served.

Because they did not suspect Palpatine, he was able to keep them exactly where he wanted them. He instigated a war and then used the Jedi promise of service to the Senate to manipulate them into leading the clone army. He then used war weariness to turn public opinion against the Jedi due to their involvement in it. This negative public opinion made declaring them "enemies of the Republic" that much easier.

The Jedi philosophy of detachment and emotional control did not cause the problem here, in fact, I think their being "passionate" would have made matters worse.

Django Fett33 and Gamiel like this.
  8. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    The reason the Jedi failed is because of their arrogance, they thought they were all knowing and all seeing... There is no ignorance, there is knowledge... If it's not in the Jedi Archives it doesn't exist... The only way they even found out about palpating is because he pretty much outright told Anakin... The Jedi never figured it out... What's the saying Obi-Wan tells Anakin? Be mindful of your surroundings... A Sith Lord is in Coruscant the whole time and they never knew it... I would say there is no knowledge only ignorance... Obviously Palpatine could hide his presence in the force or the Jedi just plain weren't paying attention... They were around the Chancellor hundreds if not thousands of times and not one person could sense the dark side in him? That's why mid-way in 2 or during 3 Windu says we need to tell the senate that our ability to use the force has diminished...
    Honestly I don't think it would have mattered anyways Palpatine was too powerful and I think he would have beat Windu even if Anakin wouldn't have stepped in... He was appearing to be weak in order for Anakin to strike Windu and to lead him to the dark side... Of course even the most powerful Yoda couldn't stop him either...

That's why I'm saying Luke has to transcend Yoda and Obi-Wan's teachings because there are now hundreds of Sith and if the dark man is as powerful as Palpatine he doesn't stand a chance, because the jedi don't reach their full potential because they are too focused on control and not on how powerful they can become... It can't be one or the other, jedi or sith, there has to be a way for Luke to have perfect control and strive to become more powerful in order to stop the Sith and more importantly find a better way to maintain the ever changing balance of the force... The jedi killing all the sith and sith killing all the jedi has to stop it's getting old first of all and second there has to be another way which is to do something different in the force, the Aing-Tii maintain the balance by being neither light nor dark... I believe that is the ultimate solution to bring balance learning their ways and becoming more powerful than the sith so they quit trying to kill the jedi and then going to the sith to reach some sort of neutrality agreement to maintain the balance... Not saying it would be easy but the Jedi path is not suppose to be easy... The book I'm writing is along these lines, reaching a higher state of enlightenment, piercing the veil into greater knowledge, and unlocking abilities and powers that the Jedi or Sith have never had... That striving towards the unknown in pursuit of balance... Is it just me or am I the only one who thinks that would be awesome? Or who likes the Aing-Tii? Honestly I think the Aing-Tii could destroy the sith and the jedi if they ever felt the need to...

9. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I must've been imagining things whenever I heard the Jedi speak about the dark side clouding all things in the Force.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Being a little more on guard and less complacent in no way means throwing out every single rule or philosophy that the old Order had.

11. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

so you would have luke act like some old man and just teach??

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Pre-prequel EU novels sometimes had light Jedi with red sabers, or Dark Jedi with non-red colours.

Leia is given a red lightsaber as a present from Luke, in the Corellia trilogy. She promptly challenges him to a sparring match. And wins.

Contessa likes this.
  13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008

one of many things that annoyed me about that series

MasterSanders likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke may have underestimated just how much practice she'd been getting, and so was caught off-guard.

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    clearly, but it is scenes like that and Corran beating Luke at a spar in I'Jedi that don't sit well with me. At least IJedi fixed itself in the end.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If Luke is distracted, or not taking a duel seriously enough, I have no problem with others beating him from time to time. These are friendly duels after all, half of the effort is NOT actually hurting the other person.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    true he was not taking either duel seriously

18. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Maybe an expectation of nigh omnipotence on the part of Luke is a contributing factor to the Jedi being boring. If it's commonly accepted that no one can match Luke one on one, there's really not much potential for drama and conflict because Luke is never in jeopardy, or situations in which he is put into jeopardy begin to become immensely contrived.

Reveen, Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  19. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    No I would have Luke become more powerful than all of them and have a mighty beat down on the sith that would allow peace talks between the Jedi and the Sith to begin... Then we could have a council of Sith and Jedi together that would be pretty awesome... Also it would bring Jedi closer to neutral and sith away from being evil, but still being edgy and doing what they do... Basically combining the two orders... Then we can get a new bad guy, the Chiss Ascendency, Fel Empire eventually has to come to play, other force entities, there is literally infinite possibilities, but a new enemy different from the Yuuzhan Vong, but just as overwhelming in its lethality and manpower.... The many dangers that Thrawn was worried about in the Unknown Regions for instance would be a good place to start... Maybe even have the Chiss under attack by this new enemy and then call for aid from the GA, and the Imperial Remnant... I mean there could be even multiple bad guys that pop up a little here and a little there in future books, then have an epic series on a huge war with multiple enemies, multiple alliances, etc... Eventually Luke will die of old age like Yoda and become one with the force, or do like Obi-Wan and allow himself to be cut down and become one with the force... But Ben does have to become more interesting and I would love to see him and the girl sith get together and patch things up... Just a few ideas... thoughts?

20. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The nature of the Sith and dark side use really won't allow them to play nice.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Not to mention that it gets harder and harder to boo and hiss at the baddies when the story is obvious about them basically existing as pegs to be not only knocked down, but brutally murdered. Luke is going to toss them around like rag dolls and there's nothing they can do about it. Hey, I root for the underdog, just like in the OT!

I started considering the Lost Tribe hapless underdogs at about the third time Luke's ginger son mercilessly slaughtered a gang of them singlehandedly.

Contessa likes this.
  22. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    Well like I said it will take conflict mixed with new understandings of the force and the balance that must lead them to that end... Because either all the sith die or all the jedi die, either this goes on and on forever or there must be a different way like the Aing-Tii and other force users... Read my previous posts as well I go into further detail of what I'm talking about...

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

It's going to go on and on forever, because it wouldn't be Star Wars if it didn't.

Like I said, it's kind of the metaphysical imperative once someone devotes themselves to the dark side of the Force. IT drives them to conflict, to destroying anything that is not them. Palpatine's Dark Empire, and the Sith Emperor in TOR, are kind of the height of this tendency. The Sith philosophy does not lend itself to cooperation for long periods of time and encourages the killing of rivals. If they actively desire the apprentice to kill and supplant the master, why would they ever work with their philosophical opposites? To avert war? War is in their very philosophy.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Or, in other words:

[​IMG]

Dawud786 likes this.
  25. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    dude, there is a difference between a great force user or duelist challenging Luke, and it is another thing to have an inferior opponent challenge Luke. don't go to extremes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.