main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Have These Parents Gone To Far ?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by V8ER_H8ER, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V8ER_H8ER

V8ER_H8ER Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 1998
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/child/story/0,7369,785073,00.html

The parents of an 11-year-old girl are to take the extraordinary step of having her fitted with a microchip so that her movements can be traced if she is abducted.
    Danielle Duval will have the device implanted in her arm in the next few months, the scientist assisting the plan claimed yesterday. The miniature chip will apparently send a signal via a mobile phone network to a computer, which will be able to pinpoint her location on an electronic map

Have these parents lost their minds? Or is this a good idea?

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Both IMO

I understand why they do it (especially with the recent abduction and murder of the schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman)

However tracing your kids will not prevent an abduction.
    Instead giving money to these chips, it should better go to the police.
    So they can prevent an abduction.

Note: V8er H8er what is your point of view on this?

3. DARTHBALTI

DARTHBALTI Jedi Grand Master

Nov 17, 2001
    Is it a good idea?

I would say yes it may make people think twice about abduction.

Will it stop kids being abducted and murdered?

Probably not because by the time most people realise they have gone missing it is too late.

Is this a sure sign that our society is going down the pan?

I would have to say yes.

I don't think any amount of extra money or police resources can stop these people. If they are going to abduct someone they will and no one can stop them.

I would like to see society trying to understand that these people are mentally ill and as such should be encouraged to come and seek professional help. Unfortunatly there may be paedophiles (Sp?) out there who want to seek help but are afraid they will be stoned to death by a vigilante mob.

If putting chips in kids saves just one life then they are worth it in my opnion. Hell people put chips in there cars so the police can trace them why not children?

4. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    It is once again not treating the cause. We make up excuses for pedophiles instead of administering justice. We let them roam the streets freely, we put their name up in lights when they do offend. Maybe if after conviction they were taken out back and shot, a couple more would think twice about abducting children.

If you look at little boys and little girls and sexual thoughts dominate your mind. GET HELP!!! Don't abduct, rape, and/or murder them and they cry to the state that you have mental problems. It is to late then.

Are these chips going to be removed at some point? What about overbearing parents that want to keep a life long tab on their children?

To many questions, not enough answers.

5. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    If putting chips in kids saves just one life then they are worth it in my opnion. Hell people put chips in there cars so the police can trace them why not children?

My concern is that the chips are permanent. What is to stop a government from acquiring the code of a chip implanted in an adult when they were a child?

There is quite a bit of difference between a car and a child.

6. V8ER_H8ER

V8ER_H8ER Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 1998
    I don't like putting chips in anybody for any reason. I'm sure some think this might even be a good reason. However, I just see this leading down a bad road.

A month or so ago a family was the first ever to put medical ID chips in themselves. This was done so that if they are ever hurt a hospital should be able to just scan the chip and pull up their records.

As this technology advances will we see it put into dangerous criminals to track them and ID them? How long before we have them in us so that our government can ID us and keep terrorists out?

Maybe I'm over reacting but I don't like it. :)

...both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads; And that no man might buy or sell, save he had the mark...

7. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    That's bad if the chip is permanent and can't be deactivated. What's to stop overbearing parents from finding out where their kids are after they're already legal adults?

8. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    This will lead to large, large arguments and fights when the child is around 16, 17, 18 years of age if the parents refuse to have the chip deactivated if it even can be. She won't be able to do anything without the parents knowing exactly where it is. This will lead to a lot more trouble than any good it will do.

Nobody is ever implanting anything into me.

9. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    To be perfectly blunt... the chip is absolutely useless if all it does is help me find my child's dead body.

Preventive measures by parents, the community and law enforcement, anyone?

10. High_and_Dry

High_and_Dry Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2002
    I don't think the parents have gone too far but they shouldn't have had to take this step in the first place.

My main concern is that too many people are having children without really wanting them.
    Therefore bringing a child into the World that they see as a hinderance to their lives and the children suffer from a lack of love.

These types of people are just as dangerous as any paedophile.

11. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    "What's to stop overbearing parents from finding out where their kids are after they're already legal adults?"

Well one thing the person can do as an adult is have it removed.

Or get a restraining order against their parent/s if they don't want them following them around.

Does anyone know how the child would be tracked? Do the parents have the technology to track down the child, or do they have to go through a business or the authorities in order to find them using the chip?

Do I think it is a bad idea? No. We use similar ways of tracking down our cars. Children, I believe, are alittle more important than a car. The harm in doing this is what, knowing where your child is in case of an emergency?

How many more children do you want to go missing? Sure, put more money into prevention, but doing so can only go so far. You are not going to prevent every evil individual in this world from abducting a child.

At least this way, the parent has a way of locating the child (unless the abductor cuts the chip out of the kid.)

I for one am sick and tired of seeing parents on T.V. pleading to the country to find their child for them. I'm sick and tired of seeing children disappear off the face of this earth, or being found dead.

With the chip, it is one more tool that law enforcement would be able to use in order to locate a child, and possibly prevent the molestation or murder of that child.

What are the cons again?

Latre! :D

12. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    A ton of prevention for an ounce of cure.

I could see if there is ample threat that the kid would be abducted, maybe the kid of a diplomat or something, but come on! It is like a school being afraid that professional terrorists will attack them.

Also I am actually a very paranoid person, and what if you don?t want to be tracked? Could someone hack into the system and know where I am whenever? Should governmental policy turn to the point where there is a curfew or something (for our safety of course) do you want police arresting you for rules like that?

If it would be done properly in a perfect world (well, in a perfect world, it would not be needed) then it would be a good idea. But I don?t trust anyone in this world to use that power only for the betterment of the kid.

And SnowDog had a good point. If a criminal knows where it is, can it be cut out/off? How effective is it? Can it be blocked?

13. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Will it convince psychos that they have to electrecute their victims first to purify them? Even you do find out, will they already have been raped, and or murdered?

Yes, I believe it will lead to it's more widespread use, as was said above "for your protection." along with "politcal re-education." Again, you (those who adamently support it) are offering your freedom for your security. As was said by our America forefathers "Those who would trade freedom for security, deserve neither."

14. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    "Again, you (those who adamently support it) are offering your freedom for your security."

That would be the security of the children.

Like I said, once that child is an adult, they can have it removed.

Now, is not having the chip any better?

What if the abductor doesn't know the kid has a chip?

As for giving it to those kids who are at greater risk, I sure wouldn't want to explain to those parents with missing children who aren't at greater risk, that their child wasn't "worth" putting a chip in them.

And for giving law enforcement the ability to track down your child, I say that is exactly what you would want to happen if your child went missing. Ever heard of better safe than sorry?

Parents already have their children fingerprinted and give DNA samples to their local law enforcement agencies as tools to identify and locate missing children. This is just one more tool.

15. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    To be perfectly blunt... the chip is absolutely useless if all it does is help me find my child's dead body.

Hmmm... considering the amount of effort by law enforcement to recover bodies even if they are sure the child is dead, I think they might appreciate the help. How many parents have you heard say "I just want to bury my child"? If it helps them find the child within a few hours (like Lo-Jack on a car), it might prevent deaths. Even if it doesn't, it might facilitate the recovery process, which speeds up the legal case against the abductor.

Preventive measures by parents, the community and law enforcement, anyone?

How do you prevent abductions? You would either have to be with your child every minute or change the behavior of potential criminals.

Good luck.

16. EnforcerSG

Sep 12, 2001
    As for giving it to those kids who are at greater risk, I sure wouldn't want to explain to those parents with missing children who aren't at greater risk, that their child wasn't "worth" putting a chip in them.

I meant kids more likely to be kidnapped (I gave the example of a diplomat's child), not "your kid is poor so we are not putting a chip in him/her." I see a difference, do you?

Say in a job, 20% of all workers in that job get shot. Should all people in that job get bullet proof vests? Yes. Should we give everyone in the world a bullet proof vest? Not really.

(BTW, I don?t know the exact percentage, but I was thinking about being the president with that analogy)

It wont prevent crimes of passion, and anything planned out well would take that into consideration, and so I say again, a ton of prevention for an ounce of cure.

I believe that it won?t prevent abductions (I gave my logic above). So what is the point?

What next? Insurance rates change. People will be tagged and if they go into a dangerous area, their insurance will go up? Why not? Put it into everyone in the military so we can find our solders. I just see this as a first step to many potential bad things.

Why are the parents afraid of their kid being abducted? Do they fear they are not paying the kid enough attention? Do they leave the kid alone allot? Not trust the kid?s friends?

Are they as paranoid over their kid as I am paranoid of our freedoms?

17. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    I understood exactly what you meant, but to put children on a scale of risk, you are subjecting them to a worth.

I didn't say that just because someone was poor, that their child is less likely to be abducted. The opposite is probably more the truth.

Look at what happens when a child from a lower class family is abducted as compared to one that is from a higher class one. The media coverage seems to dwindle in those cases. (Elizabeth Smart for example. How long did we keep seeing her family on T.V. pleading for her return, as compared to some of the other cases where the family is not so financially well off.)

"I believe that it won?t prevent abductions (I gave my logic above). So what is the point?"

The point is that in some cases it would help in locating the child hopefully in a timely manner in order to prevent harm or death to that child.

Or would you rather the police just run around in the dark looking everywhere, wasting precious time? I for one wouldn't.

If it can be used to locate a child quickly, why not?

"Why are the parents afraid of their kid being abducted? Do they fear they are not paying the kid enough attention? Do they leave the kid alone allot? Not trust the kid?s friends?"

Why are they afraid? Because kids get abducted in this country, and around the world. It is an evil world we live in. These things happen.

As far as I see it, we are talking about how we can make children's lives safer, not how can we prevent children from being abducted.

We can't prevent crimes from happening, we can only try to deter others from committing them.

ONCE AGAIN, WE CAN'T PREVENT, WE CAN ONLY TRY TO DETER.

18. celera

celera Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    The chip can backfire too. What if a stalker hacks into the system and kills you?

19. EnforcerSG

Sep 12, 2001
    I supose you have a point. The whole thing with the press is that they seem to care more about ratings than they do about getting a kid safly back.

And you are right, this does not atempt to solve the root of the problem. Maybe you are right in that we cant, but I just see this as a bad idea overall.

Yes, our children are important, we should protect them, but I see this as too far. Kids should have their freedoms, and too many parrents if they do this would rather put a chip into their kids to track them and safty would be a secondary consern.

Again, if our government and parrents were perfect, then yes, this would be a great idea. But I do not believe that with the state of many parrents and our government that this wont be abused in any way.

20. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    And I totally understand your point about the possibility of this technology being abused.

I just think the pros outweigh the cons.

This may not be for every parent. I could see some having it removed when their child is in their teens.

I just see it helping in the case of an abduction, more so than being a hindrance.

21. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I believe that it won?t prevent abductions (I gave my logic above). So what is the point?

Of course it won't prevent abductions, and I don't think that is the point of the chip. The fact is that when children are abducted, time is of the essence. The longer a child goes missing, the greater the chances that the child will turn up dead. Most of the abductors snatch the kid, do whatever with them, and then dump them. They don't keep the kid around for days or weeks because they know that the kid might escape.

The chip would act as not as a deterrent, but as a tool for police agencies. I don't know how the chip works. Assuming that the parents can track the kid at home like a GPS, the following would apply: If the parents realize the kid is missing, they "see" where the kid is. If the kid is at a friend or relative's house, then no harm done. But if the kid really has been snatched, they police can be can notified and sent to the place immediately and possibly preventing the murder of their child.

Personally, I think it is the parent's choice and freedom do this. They have already have on tracking chips that can be placed in cel phones or beepers that can track kids, or give parents a warning beep if the kid goes outside of a pre-determined perimeter. If parents think this will help them keep tabs on their kids, then it's their choice. On the other hand, I think once the kid hits 16, he or she should have the chance to have the chip deactivated or removed. At that point, the child is old enough to drive, work, and determine where they want to be.

As for people who are afraid the government is going to track them: come on, give me a break. The government is entirely uninterested in your daily activities. If you have an issue with tracking devices, then don't get one. I know I certainly would not, but I'm going to tell parents that they can't monitor their child as they see fit!

22. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Please. This is just another step in the wrong direction. Here's a question for all those considering putting these on their kids:

Why don't you actually get involved in your kids life instead of putting dog tags in their arm? Why don't you see where they're going, ask who they're going with. Also, teach them what to do in emergency situations. Too much work? Well then maybe you shouldn't have had the kids in the first place.

This is an attempt to try to fix the lazy parenting of the past few years. It's a kid, not an animal. Treat them like humans.

Also, to the over-protective parent who will want to know where there kids will be at all times, I say this: You're gonna have to slowly let go, or else they'll rip themselves away. To paraphrase the lovely Princess Leia, The tighter you squeeze, the more they'll slip through your fingers.

23. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Well, I don't have children, but having been a child, I have been seperated from my parents a time or two.

It happens, no matter how well you look after kids. Hell, I've lost track of my girlfriend when we are out shopping!

Maybe I should insist that she get a chip. :p

Or am I a "lazy" boyfriend?

And if you think putting a chip in a child is being overprotective, what is keeping an eye on your child 24/7?

24. EnforcerSG

Sep 12, 2001
    Can anyone think of a good idea that will actually prevent kids from being abducted? I cant think of anything that would be feasable or good, but I am only one person. Again, the possiblity of abuse of this system, and the fact that it will only add in the fight makes me want to find a better solution.

Then again, isnt there a law on the books saying that a person cannot be charged with a potential crime? Maybe I should wait till a crime involving this actually happens since in theory (I think) the government has to.

25. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Horrible, horrible idea.

Oh yes, please put a ID chip in me so everyone can know where I am, I LOVE BIG BROTHER! Scratch that, even BB wasn't that advanced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.