main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Have we reached a plateau with computers for now

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by beezel26, Sep 20, 2013.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Let's face it, before Iphone we use regular computers. Afterwards everything changed. So my question is how many more years of this are we going to have. The tablets are going down in price and it looks at it for now no one has the technology to reinvent the wheel. Or in this case the computer. It took over twenty years to really get any real change out of televisions. Not until flat screens did we change the way we looked at TVs or the size of them.

2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    To some degree, I agree. We're very closely approaching the limit of Moore's law, and for most day-to-day human functionality, I don't see thins improving too much for at least a little while.

That is to say, I think typical personal electronic life in 2050 will be pretty similar to ours - much more so than life in 1990 is to ours now.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's going to be a long time before ARM (tablets) and x86 (desktop PCs) are analogous for power.

4. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I watched the following presentation by Michio Kaku, titled "Life in 2030" a few months ago, very interesting.

I believe that Moore's Law is still holding true.

Mr. Kaku made an interesting prediction, an analogy to electricity. Electricity is everywhere, and nowhere. For example, it is oblivious to us, inside the walls of our homes. Kaku predicts the same will be for computer chips. Chips will be as cheap as a piece of paper. Computer Chips will be in our paint / wallpaper. Probably eliminate the TV, if it is embedded into your wall?

I believe the design of Bill Gates home, is a precursor of what will happen with the homes of everyday people.

5. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
  6. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't own an iPhone ... am I in the dark age?

Seriously, would love to read a psychological study on the impact smart phones has had on society, the old result of unintended consequences.

For example, I was out to dinner with my parents last night, and I was scanning the room, and noticed a couple of beautiful ladies out to dinner together. Instead of engaging in conversation, they both had their heads down, playing with their phones, texting, etc.

What happened to the ancient art of physical face to face conversation? :p