main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Have we seen the last of Kylo's helmet?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan-Jon, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan-Jon

Obi-Wan-Jon Jedi Master star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    Kylo removed the helmet on the catwalk, and dropped it prior to killing Solo. He runs off after Chewie shoots him, leaving the helmet behind.

There is no indication he goes back for it at any point, as we don't see him in it again.

Will he have a new helmet for Ep VIII, or is the helmet a thing of the past?

2. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I hope he continues to wear it. Cool design. I like the way his voice sounds when he wears it. His face got scarred in the lightsaber battle so it looks like he might keep the mask.

3. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. He may have some kind of partial face cover/technology for his injuries, but I think for reason of emoting, actor comfort, and actor 'face-time' his face will be mostly visible from now on.

*but I love the vocal processor. I hope somehow he still uses that.

morrison85 and mperrotti34 like this.
  4. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    The visual dictionary says that he built it. I originally thought it was an ancient Sith helmet or something. So he could just as easily build another one. Or, we might get something totally different next time. I kind of feel like the early concept art of the "inquisitor" with the metal parts was probably how Kylo was supposed to look following the duel, but that wasn't included in the film quite obviously.

5. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    It's gotta be a new one if he does have one. There's no way I see him being able to get that one back unless somehow Hux grabbed it? But maybe Kylo/Ben will no longer feel the need to have one, since he got "rid of the light" by killing his father and no longer needs to hide behind it (Or atleast wants to think he got rid of the light). I DID love his helmet tho. I just hope if he does have another one that he doesnt stay behind it the whole time.

6. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    We will when Supreme Leader Snoke says, "Lose that ridiculous helmet! You are not Darth Vader!"

An R, Darkslayer, mperrotti34 and 5 others like this.
  7. Obi-Wan-Jon

Feb 24, 2004
    I'm just wondering how this idiot worships Darth Vader, but somehow ignores the fact that Vader renounced the Dark Side, returned to the Light, and killed his former Sith Master in the process.

By the way, did anyone take notice (maybe it's a coincidence or I'm reaching for something that isn't there) that Ren's facial injuries seem to mirror Vader's? The scar on the cheek like Anakin had, and the one in the middle of the forehead that we saw on Prowse at the end of ROTJ when the mask came off.

DD-1110 and Tanjint like this.
  8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Ignores the fact? What makes you think he knows anything about something that only three people in universe witnessed? As far as I am aware, Kylo Ren was not in the audience watching ROTJ in 1983.

This is a common problem in big movies these days. Characters know too much about everything, and audiences expect them to.

Kylo Ren doesn't know about Vader's redemption. Simple as that.

Baron_Papanerd, Allana_Rey and Glor like this.
  9. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    The visual dictionary says he knows. Plus, Abrams said so in an interview.

Anakin_Prime likes this.
  10. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Must have missed that. In any event, that's certainly not clear in the film itself.

11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Mask and voice were so damn cool.. Plz bring it back.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    What does the Visual Dictionary say specifically? And the Abrams interview? Curious, because I also thought Kylo would not know about that... I've posted here before that it would be great to see Luke mess with him by telling him what really happened on DSII and how Vader really died.

13. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    We never saw Prowse's face in ROTJ. We saw Sebastian Shaw's.

14. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    It's a cool design that's very branded into the ST look now. But I'm guessing his look will keep evolving over the trilogy. Either he'll find/make new amor, or go more bionic. Rey scratched him up a few times, I think she's going to take a few more pieces of him next time.

There was all that half face bionic bad guy concept art. Maybe that goes somewhere.

15. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    He lost it and his saber. I think his evolving character and appearance will be a theme of the trilogy.

DD-1110 and Import_Jedi like this.
  16. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

I think Abrams said Ren knows what happened with Vader, but he considers that Vader was 'seduced by the Light Side' and that caused him to fail in his objective. ...which makes perfect sense as to why Ren facing Han Solo was his big trial - sort of a similar test to Vader refusing to kill Luke.

DD-1110, Azpiri, Glor and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mommy.Is.A.Jedi

Mommy.Is.A.Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2015
    I think he'll have a new mask and lightsaber for VIII. Marketing 101. All those kids getting Kylo Ren action figures this year will be getting a new set in a year and a half!

18. vaderfandan

vaderfandan Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2004
    Why does he even have a mask/helmet? Vader had one for a reason.

And if Ren's just wearing it because he's a Vader fan-boy, I hate to break it to him, but his mask just looks silly compared to Vader's.

19. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    I like the juxtaposition of his mask and his real face - he wants to be like Vader, so he wears a mask, but also he isn't very intimidating without it. A few people in my theater laughed when he took it off because he's so goofy looking. He's like a kid who wants to be taken seriously. He's a wannabe Vader but like Rey points out he's afraid he'll never be as powerful. I hope he goes even more crazy and gets scarier as the series progresses, he's my favorite new character.

Eons I slept likes this.
  20. Obi-Wan-Jon

Feb 24, 2004
    +1 my fingers moved faster than my brain, thanks for catching my mistake.

Excellent point. Hence why Ren seems to discuss falling to the light side of the force on more than one occasion. Like Vader was so awesome but he just lost it at the end, and Ren wants to one-up him.

Vader's mask >>>>>> Ren's mask. Although I did like Ren's voice alteration, you could really hear Adam Driver's voice in it.

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The visual dictionary states the following:

Kylo Ren's Helmet

Patterned after the battle gear of the Knights of Ren, Kylo Ren's helmet conceals his identity and adds to his imposing demeanor. Servomotors drive articulated arms that separate the face mask from the helmet, letting Kylo remove the black form to state down his opponents with incontained malice.

Vader's Mask

Scavenged from a funeral pyre on Endor, Darth Vader's charred and melted helmet is a silent symbol of both the dark side's power and its weakness.

DD-1110 likes this.
  22. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I've heard people say Vader's helmet was lost on Starkiller Base, but wasn't it onboard the star destroyer?

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  23. arbitrage

arbitrage Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    In the novel, Hux picks up Ren in the woods in a shuttle and they take off to go to Snoke. So unless Hux went into that reactor core or wherever that bridge was and randomly picked up the helmet then I think Ren will need to make a new one or decide its time to stop hiding behind a mask....we shall see what he decides to do....

24. arbitrage

arbitrage Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015

From the novel:
    “Kylo Ren, I watched the Galactic Empire rise, and then fall. The gullible prattle on about the triumph of truth and justice, of individualism and free will. As if such things were solid and real instead of simple subjective judgments. The historians have it all wrong. It was neither poor strategy nor arrogance that brought down the Empire. You know too well what did.”
    Ren nodded once. “Sentiment.”
    “Yes. Such a simple thing. Such a foolish error of judgment. A momentary lapse in an otherwise exemplary life. Had Lord Vader not succumbed to emotion at the crucial moment—had the father killed the son—the Empire would have prevailed. And there would be no threat of Skywalker’s return today.”
    “I am immune to the light,” Ren assured him confidently. “By the grace of your training, I will not be seduced.”

They both know what Vader did....

25. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Ignores the fact? What makes you think he knows anything about something that only three people in universe witnessed? As far as I am aware, Kylo Ren was not in the audience watching ROTJ in 1983.
    ---------

uhhhm probably because

1) he's Leia's kid, you think she'd have kept that quiet?

2) more importantly, would Luke? especially if Kylo was going off the rails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.