main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Have you ever actively rooted for the villain?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by drg4, Mar 5, 2012.

1. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I was flipping through channels the other night and came upon the early nineties actioner Under Siege. For a minute or two, I was tickled pink to see a cracked Tommy Lee Jones and cracked (and cross-dressing) Gary Busey chewing the scenery.

Imagine my disappointment when I remembered this was a Steven Seagal flick. Which entailed that these colorful characters would be brutally murdered by a joyless, glowering, sadistic (and not in a good way) death machine on two legs.

Having walked away right after Jones was dispatched, I imagined a different Under Siege, wherein Seagal froze to death in the meat locker while the villains hijacked the ship, cracked jokes for an hour and a half, and got away scot-free. That's the movie I wanted to see...

Anyone else ever pin their hopes on the baddie?

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Yes, pretty much always as a kid. Between Aladdin and the Star Wars films, I always wanted Jafar and Darth Vader to win. ALWAYS. And that applies to a lot of other films (Scar was another one I barracked for). It's one of the key reasons why Empire has been my favourite film since I was 6 (I've since found plenty of other reasons to like it).

Really, the only two heroes I always wanted to win were James Bond and Indiana Jones. Except I wanted Zorin to win in A View to a Kill.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Sure, often. However, usually in a futile hope of the char's redemption. Though, I've found that often there's precious little difference between a 'hero' and a 'villian' in most stories/film if you look at their actions. It tends to be simply that the writing/presentation attempts to convince me that one set of chars is more noble than the other and I often don't like that media often force-feeds me a certain line.

We are all shades of grey in my book. However, I often root for the most/damaged/suffering char in something because I want to understand why they are bitter/angry/hurt/lost and I want them to heal. Sadly, often, they are touted as worthless and killed by the supposed 'heroes'. [face_frustrated]

I absolutely love Tarkin and Dooku in the SW films because they strike me as more authentically Human than any of the heroes in the Saga with the exception of Luke at the end of RotJ. Luke will always be my fave SW 'hero'.

4. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Now that you mention it: Even as I was somewhat moved by the tragic proceedings of Revenge of the Sith, there existed a measure of admiration for Palpatine. Watching him deliriously bring democracy down on the head of poor little Yoda, I couldn't help but think, ?Well done, you clever rotter!?

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Does rooting for the Vampires to kill Bella in the Twilight films I had to view count?

Seriously, when your rooting for the Evil Sparkly Vampire (Victoria) to kill the 'good' ones and their pet human, well that says a lot about the strength of who the author/movie director is portraying as the heroes.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    drg4: Indeed. On the level of sophisticated intelligence, I personally think that Palpatine can't be bested, period. Though Tarkin and Dooku were no dunces. I also think that Ian, Peter, and Chris are the most skilled and believable performers in the Saga. Partially for this reason, they are a delight for me to watch. I think it's very sad and unfair all three die, too. :(

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I consistently root for the zombies in The Walking Dead.

But on a more serious note, if there's something I think stands out about a villain, I'll probably wind up cheering them on at some point.

8. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I always root for the villain in James Bond flicks, because James is such a douche. Although I somehow got more behind him in the Daniel Craig flicks. James Bond is the one that stands out the most to me, but overall actioners and especially movies aimed at kids tend to have such self-righteous pr***s as "heroes" that I often root for the villain. I guess it's natural for the line to be pretty black and white in kids' movies. You don't want to be too heavy handed with the shades of gray moral ambiguity with a young audience perhaps, but still! Some of these supposed heroes in cartoon movies and tv shows are obnoxious.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Look at it this way, how many other film franchises can you think of where the bad guy wins.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Tommy Lee Jones is GREAT in Under Siege. He's so much fun to watch....

:D :D :D

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I usually back the villain, they have more going for them. Better costume, most of the best lines, more articulate, bigger and badder weapons and so on.
    Plus they're usually played by great actors, heroes not always.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Chancellor_Ewok: I fail to see your point. o_O

I'm simply saying I see little difference between a 'hero' and a 'villain'. The only way a character or a (RL person) can truly 'win' is if they are healed, to me. Also, I think that's an inherent failing in most stories: most of the time it's about 'winning' or 'power' when it should be about harmony and seeking peace.

Heroes and villains often do the *same things* it's just the the 'villain' is condemned and the 'hero' excused and lauded for them. That's why I'm not usually keen on heroes.

13. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Oh, I definitely root for Auric Goldfinger. He had the best villain scheme in the series, and managed to outwit his fellow sociopath James Bond at nearly every juncture. And to think he only lost because 007 raped a lesbian.

Might I recommend stopping the movie right after the Fort Knox material? Goldfinger escaped, right? Who knows, maybe he murdered that double-crossing Pussy Galore and positioned his way into SPECTRE with the aim of exacting horrific revenge on Bond?

14. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    Does Harvey Dent count?

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Loki was kinda winning me over in Thor.

16. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I don't think you're supposed to instantly turn against him, at least, seeing as the narrative tries so hard to make him a likable admirable character for most of the movie.

17. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I just look at Bond as a villain who happens to be on the good guy's side.

18. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    more then anything i wish darth maul would have won... in kotor the evil choices were always more fun and practical. the only good choice i made in the game was helping the poor ithorion who was getting bullied. hey it's not evil to take what you want. you're saving the world aren't you?