main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Have you ever been on a flight?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Apr 22, 2013.

1. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    A few things have happened on a flight that were interesting:

1) I once sat next to Peter Mayhew on a commercial flight....yes Chewie himself.....it was so hard to not want to pretend I was Han, he was Chewie and we were just about to bust out the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs........I have a picture somewhere, but I can't find it.....

2) I was on a plane and in the middle of take off a fuel line bust. The plane makes an immediate 180 turn right back to the run way for an emergency landing.....i crapped my pants i think.....

3) Countless missions in Iraq aboard Blackhawks, skimming the palm tree line, getting shot at, jerk pilots doing crazy manuevers just to see who will throw up first........yeah, those were the days.....

Sauntaero and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Are you serious? You actually think Florida is better than LHR, or Changi? Just... wow.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't been in either of those airports.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I just did some quick math in my head, and I'm estimating I've been on about 80 flights in my life... maybe more. About half of those have been international, with the majority of the international ones being between Japan and the US. No real stories to tell, either.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It's pretty ridiculous to assume that anyone has been in either of those airports, I've been through Asia a few times but only been to Changi once 15 years ago (everything else through HK).

I don't recall Heathrow being anything spectacular.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Didn't recognize the initials--I actually have been to Heathrow, and yes, it's a good airport; much bigger than the southwest Florida one.

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I actually really like my local airport, since it's pretty new and perfectly sized for what it is. Well designed.

Can we agree that LAX is a horrible disaster?

8. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Sea-Tac was pretty annoying, and I absolutely hate LAX and Atlanta. I gotta say the most "user-friendly/comfortable" airports I've been through include Chicago O'Hare, Milwaukee Mitchell Field, Paris Charles DeGaulle (the escalators, man), Amsterdam Schiphol, and Copenhagen Airport. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Edit: Denver was pretty cool. It's like a circus tent.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm in Atlanta; our airport is the busiest in the world. It's not actually that bad to go through either, considering the volumes it handles.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    LAX is embarrassing. It's supposedly an international, word-class airport -- but it's old, disorganized, and filthy. Even U.S. airline hub airports in the flyover states are better (and some of them are actually pretty nicely furnished, with charge stations, Wi-Fi that isn't a paid hot-spot, and efficient transportation systems between terminals).

Heathrow I've actually found to be annoying -- difficult to get anywhere, and the terminals are all far apart. But then I've had a lot of bad experiences there. I remember Venice being surprisingly nice -- I feel like it must've been new or recently redone.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Generally, I have to say, US airports are basically just crap. Mostly because if you transit through the US, you have to go through immigration which is... just **** you, America.

Marcus, Changi's a major hub so it has pretty much anything you want. Plus, it's close enough to downtown you can jump in a cab if you have a layover and visit the city.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I must agree about LAX. However, despite its disgusting "old grocery store" feel and antiquated sense of efficiency, one of the nicest things happened there. My older son (who was six at the time) and I were delayed for three hours, and of course there was no place to sit. We wound up sitting and waiting on the floor of the terminal on the disgusting, well-worn carpeting, even after I had politely asked a business traveler if he would give up his seat for my tired boy...he wouldn't and didn't. Mind you, this was at about midnight, west coast time. One of the airline personnel saw this and had a courtesy cart brought over to us, which had a bench seat, and even gave my son his own jacket as a blanket. LAX sucks, and I don't like it, but that was an act of kindness that took place where you wouldn't expect it. I'll be forever grateful to that guy whose name I never even bothered to learn.

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh, do grow up double-o-snob. :p

Ender_Sai likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I was going to issue a rebuttal than I realised I'm wearing a Thomas Pink shirt and you're right. :(

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  15. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Having spent more than my share of nights in LHR, it is far from my favorite airport. After thinking about it, I've been to lots of crap airports... not a fan of O'Hare because it's so effing huge you miss your connexion, and then there's the ones in Eastern Europe where it's just a former airbase and you don't know what the heck to do after landing.... So I'll just say my favorite is MSP. Small enough, logical, and you get some great views during the landing approach.

16. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm going on my second flight in June. I'm going from MSN to MCO. I don't remember my first flight because I was really little, but my mom told me that everyone thought my twin and are were adorable. I guess I wasn't one of those screaming children you hear about.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I've flown through Heathrow several times, not bad but things are rather spread out.

least favorite airport by far is Paris Charles De Gaulle, shaped like a giant horseshoe an it always seems like I have to walk from one end to the other to get to my connection.

I'm sure I'd loathe JFK, too, if I had to make a connecting flight there, given how spread out everything is. Thankfully it's always been my starting or ending point.

And I can agree with Ender_Sai wholeheartedly, Singapore is awesome. Haven't flown it in years, but they used to serve the JFK-Frankfurt route before their code-share with Lufthansa and the service was always top-notch.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    My worst flight was from New York to Kuala Lumpur (with stop offs in Anchorage and Seoul) when I was 6. Spent about 20 hours in the air, full of sweaty people and crying babies. I couldn't sleep and I joined the babies in crying after a while, as did my older stepsister. The flight home was more of the same.

However my best flight was also from New York to Kuala Lumpur (with a stopoff in Dubai) when I was 17. We flew on Emirates, and there were a ton of movies, music and games available as well as great food. Slept like a baby, watched movies and World Cup highlights (2006 Cup) and it was a great experience. The flight home was more of the same.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    JFK is muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch easier to navigate these days. It takes, at most, 10-15 minutes to free AirTrain it between terminals. I almost categorically refuse to fly out of any NYC-area airport except JFK because LGA and EWR are that much worse...

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was afraid of flying for the longest time after watching the original Final Destination.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Taking a shower is also very dangerous.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I know right? Especially when you realize there's no shampoo, and you have to get out of the shower to get some but then you slip and fall on the way out and shatter your jaw and kneecaps and have to rely on a feeding tube for the rest of your existence.

23. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    My friend and I always joke that we're flying into Sears. Because, well, it looks like an old Sears.

[​IMG]

When flying domestically, ease of navigation and a decent choice of food and spirits are my top priorities. DFW is probably the best in that regard. SEA is pretty good for short hops, but the international terminal is kinda fail.

I've only been to 3 airports outside of North America. I really liked AMS, especially the convenience of being able to check into Yotel and getting some sleep in between flights. FRA was unremarkable. STR reminded me a little of Sea-Tac.

Oh, and **** ORD.

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    My wife flew out of Newark a few times back when we were still living there, I didn#t mind the airport itself, but getting there is an absolute nightmare.

I see what you did there! ;)

Hope all goes perfectly!

25. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I've been fortunate to do a lot of travel in recent years. Combination of business and pleasure travel. It does get dull after a while, even in the relative comfort of flying down the front.

I've seen many airports, and some are better than others, but they are all basically the same.

In recent times I've been to;

UK - ABZ GLA EDI MAN LTN STN LGW LHR
    Europe - CDG MAD BCN LNZ
    Africa - TUN
    North America - YYZ YYR YUL IAD JFK MCO ATL SFO MIA FLL DCA BWI PHL
    Asia - SIN PEK NRT
    Beyond - SYD CNS

I've actually written a few trip reports for a travel orientated website (if you are interested).

Before you say that is a nerdy thing to do, please remember you are posting on a StarWars themed website ;)