main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Have You Guys ever thought about writing a story a Non-STARWARS story

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Nerak, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerak

Nerak Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2002
    Hey don't get me wrong, I love STAR WARS and the fan film and fan story. Some Fan film and story are better then most of Lucas's films. But would't you want to write your own stuff also. Any thoughts

2. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    I currently write for alot of other genre's the Star Wars, it's not as abnormal as you think ;)

3. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    I'd say that most people do write stuff other than SW. Some write in different fandoms (just look at some of the bios on ff.net to see that). A lot of people use fanfics to practice for professional writing (Like my friend in RL). Or, still yet, there are people like me that just write because they want to tell stories in the SW world alone.

4. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I have about 5 times as many original stories than I do SW stories.

5. Nerak

Apr 28, 2002
    To you write any of your own, Marawannabe

6. Nerak

Apr 28, 2002
    I'm also writing my own stuff 8,000 words so far.

7. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I write for 6 fandoms, one of which is SW. :) It got so bad that I had to redo my site so I could archive my non-SW fics. //shakes head sadly

FF.N is great. FF.N is God. FF.N is down so much I want to scream.

...and a mango.

8. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I've written an uncounted number of original short stories and pieces of stories, poetry, a couple of plays, some essays, a script treatment, and one finished novel. I started writing fan fiction late last year to break a lengthy stretch of writer's block.

9. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    I write for many different fandoms, plus my own orginal stuff.

10. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    I have about twenty different story ideas that I've been writing at various times. Only two of them are fanfics and only one of those is SW. The only story I've actually been able to finish recently was a short story about the Pre-Columbian Meso-American religious reformist Quetzalcoatl.

I have a few other historical fictions planned, involving things from the Egyptian Middle Kingdom to the conquests of Genghis Khan. I also like to write alternative histories and am planning a story in which Julius isn't assassinated on the Ides of March. Besides that, I have a few Sci-fi and fantasy stories.

BTW, if anyone feels like posting their non-fanfic stories you can do so on that board. It needs more users. :) It's a little lonely.

11. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Aftermath: "I also like to write alternative histories and am planning a story in which Julius isn't assassinated on the Ides of March."

Cool, classics major here! I'd love to see how that one turns out ;)

Speaking of which, I have a lot of non-fiction stuff that I'd like to work on and eventually publish in student scholarly jounrals, does that count?

12. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    Nerak- To answer your questions, yes I write original stuff from my own imagination as well as fanfic for a different book series. Not to mention, all the stories I've written for endings to movies or television shows that I didn't like. :D

13. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Hi Nerak,
    This is an odd question to ask here. Remember that this is a Star Wars fanfic forum, so the chances of you reading (or anyone writing) a story that is not Star Wars-related here is slim to nil... actually, nil, since it would not be relevant to the subject matter, and would likely be locked by a moderator ;).

I, for one, have written 3 short stories between 5,000 and 10,000 words, countless vignettes and short essays, and even a children?s book. The majority of my stories are not of the Science Fiction genre, much less Star Wars (in fact, one is even a romance).

Why do you ask? ;)

14. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I've got quite a few non Star Wars fan fics and completely original stories :)

Star Wars just happens to be my favourite ;)

15. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, I've done planning work on a lot of unofficial "novelizations" for various PC games, such as Half-Life, AvP1 and 2, Homeworld, and Max Payne. :)
    Other than that, I've done planning for some Aliens vs Predator fanfic.

16. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    I've thought about it many a time; current ideas include a strategem story filled with What ifs!, and yeah like most folks I wrote other stuff before I came here; in fact I have 10 years of writing experience, nothing published, prior to my tenor at Fan Fiction starting in October 2000. Now my time is spent here, being the drama/horror/suspense/mystery/comedy/spiritual/don't insult the intelligence storyteller that I am.

17. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    I've also tried my hand at writing some historical fiction, original sci-fi, and fics in other fandoms, but I've only finished one of those stories so far and there's NO WAY I would let anyone read it. :p

Probably the reason I'm so focused on writing SW fanfic right now is that I can post it on these boards and get instant feedback. Also, it's a way to write "just for fun," without having to worry about whether what I'm writing will ever be publishable(sp?)--because it obviously won't be.
    When I write original stuff, it still feels too much like work. :p

18. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I've been writing since the age of eleven, and fanfic since last August. In fact, I've written an entire (definitely unpublished) fantasy novel of my own creation that is 264 pages long. :)

19. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    I've been writing poetry since I was in middle school or so, wrote fanfic for another fandom for 3 years and won 2 ff contests there (even though I didn't think my stuff was that great) and only turned to writing for SW recently.

I also have ideas for some original Sci-Fi and alternate history novels, but have more or less put them off, letting them simmer in my mind for years.

-Tim

20. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Yes and no. I write so many different things and have ideas for just about everything, but Star Wars fanfic is the only long work I've ever finished. But yes, my writing is not soley Star Wars, I work on numerous genres. I've started a historically based sci-fi on the Russian Revolution, a few realistic depictions, even a play and "comic book" type thing. Star Wars is kind of like a relief for me, I don't have to labor over thinking if it's good enough for publishing, nor do I have to create a background.

I've written a short story that I submitted to EQMM (Ellery Queen's Mystery Mag.) recently, and that, being about maybe 8 posts worth of a SW fanfic, took me a lot longer to "perfect" in my standards. It's nice to just write SW fanfic to take a break from worrying if something is good enough. :)

21. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    "Have You Guys ever thought about writing a story a Non-STARWARS story"

**blinks**

A what?

Did you say non Star Wars? There's such a thing?

Lol, JK! Well... considering that I want to be writer after high school (just 2 years left :D) and college, yes, I have often thought about writing a non-Star Wars story. In fact, I've even written a few :). I still stay mostly in the realm of Science Fiction and Fantasy when it comes to longer stories, however. Other than SciFi and Fantasy I do a lot of poetry, and I even wrote a poem inspired by events in real life recently.

22. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    I've half-written a few fanfics in another fandom and a bit of an original fantasy novel.

23. JEDI_AERYN

JEDI_AERYN Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Actually I've never written a SW fic story...but it might be intriguing.

The only fan fic I've written deals with the Marvel Universe and the X-Men. Mostly, I write my own original stories and poems. My current project is a Science Fiction Trilogy.

As stated in a previous post, some writers use fan fiction as a way to practice their writing, or to over come writers block. In my case it's helped me to become a better writer, so my own original work improves.

Some people have the impression that fan fiction writers have nothing else to do, but most of us also write original works.

Yes we do have a life outside of fan fiction! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.