main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Having a bit of AE 6.5 trouble...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JoeyH, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeyH

JoeyH Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 14, 2004
    I'm trying to make a wedding video for my relatives, but for some reason, it simply won't render the video.

It renders the first four seconds, which consist of a static jpeg image, but after that, a video kicks in, and then it stops. It says that it's failed, but in the log, it doesn't. I find it not only strange, but extremely annoying. Any ideas?

Here's a picture for explanation: http://img190.exs.cx/img190/6316/trouble2yl.jpg

2. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Did you try just exporting, instead of render queue?

3. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    try that, or try Rendering to QT, which is far superior to avi

4. JoeyH

Aug 14, 2004
    Rendering to QT? I thought QT was horrible for non-internet stuff. I'm going to be putting this on DVD and VHS afterwards. But I'll give it a try.

5. JoeyH

Aug 14, 2004
    Okay, I tried both methods, and it always stops working at the same time.

6. JoeyH

Aug 14, 2004
    Well, after a bit of experimenting, I found the problem. It was the audio, which was compressed to mp3. When I converted it to uncompressed, it worked fine. Thanks for your help anyways, guys.

7. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    "try that, or try Rendering to QT, which is far superior to avi"

Not sure why you have that opinion but I have encoded many AVIs with many different codecs as well as many MOVs with many different codecs. DivX AVIs are far superior to Sorenson 3 MOVs in both file size and quality. If you take say, an uncompressed AVI at 640x480 at 29.97 fps that is extremely high quality in detail and covert it to a QuickTime MOV using Sorenson 3 for the video as well convert it to an AVI using DivX 3.11 (Low Motion), using the maximum quality settings for both, not only will the AVI be smaller in file size but it will also look better. Don't get me wrong, I like QuickTime files using Sorenson 3 but until they can get the same lower file size at the same quality level as a DivX AVI, I'll stick with DivX AVIs.

8. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    The only reason why Sorenson 3 outsteps Divx is because of its MUCH better compatibility.

9. Evil-Henchman

Jul 17, 2004
    Eh, Mac users don't count. *runs for cover* :)
    Just kidding.

DivX 5.2 is available for the Macintosh computer in both the free and Pro versions this obviously means there is a way to play AVIs on a Mac. How does that make QuickTime Movs more compatible? Windows has a built in AVI player, QuickTime has a built in MOV player. You still have to download and install the DivX codec on a PC to play a DivX AVI. You also have to install QuickTime on a PC to play a MOV. Neither seems more compatible than the other at least where those two platforms are concerned. To play a DivX AVI on either computer you still have to install stuff. Yes a Sorenson 3 MOV will play on a MAC right after installing the OS but's that only becuase Apple makes QuickTime. Seems to me that perhaps most of you here just favor MACs over PCs *shudder. There is more to install on a PC to be able to play MOVs, than on a Mac just like there is more to install on a Mac to play DivX AVIs than on a PC. Perhaps you are referring to other OSs when you say that the QuickTime format is more compatible? Anywho, that's my rant. Sorry for going off-topic.

10. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    I'm not saying Mac/PC compatibility. Divx probably has a good 15-25% rate of computers that it just doensn't work on, period, or works very shoddily with loads of screen glitches and such. It's even been known to have conflicts with other software and cause system instability. Sorenson 3 doesn't have these issues.

Has nothing to do with Mac or PC--I use a PC myself, and have never touched a Mac except to vomit all over its vile prettiness.

11. Evil-Henchman

Jul 17, 2004
    "I use a PC myself, and have never touched a Mac except to vomit all over its vile prettiness"

lol

"I'm not saying Mac/PC compatibility. Divx probably has a good 15-25% rate of computers that it just doensn't work on, period, or works very shoddily with loads of screen glitches and such. It's even been known to have conflicts with other software and cause system instability. Sorenson 3 doesn't have these issues."

Are you serious? Well if that's true than I and all my friends and family have been truly blessed. I nor anyone I know have ran into any issues whatsoever with DivX other than not being able to play a DivX AVI that was encoded in, say, the latest version of DivX and they had an older version of it installed. Upgrading to the latest version always fixed the problem. Also if either DirectX, Windows Media Player, your OS or your video card drivers are corrupted in some way, that also can affect playback issues with DivX, with DivX itself not being the cause. However, on a Mac or Linux machine maybe these problems crop up a lot with the DivX codec which would then make QuickTime more desirable to those users. If PC users running Windows 98 or higher are having these problems, I seriously doubt that DivX itself is the cause. I did tech support for 5 years starting with doing tech support for Windows 95. Most customers turn out to be wrong when it comes to what they think caused their computer problems. I'm not saying that you are wrong in this case but I have yet to see any version of DivX causing any problems on any PC running a Windows OS (Windows 98 and higher) but like I stated earlier, perhaps I and all my friends and family are just blessed in that area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.