main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Having Fun with Icons - a suggestion

Discussion in 'Communications' started by EmpressPalpatine, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    Hey folks!

Looking back at how much fun so many of us seemed to have with both the Halloween and Holiday icons ( kudos again to GS and Bria, and the icon makers!) I was wondering if maybe every month, or two months, we had a "Theme Week" with new icons, such as a "Old B&W movies" icon week, a cartoon characters icon week, a Dr Seuss week ( I claim the Star-bellied Sneetch!), a Bad Horror Movies week, a 70's sitcom week, and so on. It seemed to bring a sense of fun to the JC that has been lacking for a bit, and I did not hear one person who did not enjoy it, including GS, who was having a blast uploading them all.

Just an idea I had about how to bring a little fun onto the JC, as lately the mood sometimes seems a bit too serious, and as the VP candidate for the Debocratic Parte, who's platform is about restoring fun to the JC, I offer this suggestion.

And yes, I would be willing to work with GS, Bria, or whoever else would be handling the "tech" side of this endeavor.

Thanks!

2. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    I personally like the idea of a theme week. Fun is something that the JC has been lacking. I definately agree that the past Christmas icons and Halloween icons brought a lot of fun to the JC.

Great idea! :D

3. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    Awesome idea.

I think that it would be even better to have a full fledged ?theme month?. December would obviously be the holiday theme month. Maybe July could be a national pride theme month, with the flags of different countries and other national emblems. February could be a ?romance? theme month, with pictures of romantic pairs from cinema and literature history. For months that don?t have obvious themes, assign something cool that we haven?t done yet, like science fiction theme month so we can have Star Trek icons or fantasy theme month where we can have LotR icons (or even better, A Song of Ice and Fire icons ? I want a Jon Snow icon! :D).

I definitely support this idea. AC, moderators, please consider this. :D

4. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    What about a Star Wars theme [face_plain] *

*Observe the sarcasm clearly expressed by the [face_plain]

5. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    I think that doing things by months is more practical than doing it by weeks. Uploading icons sounds like a lot of work, plus a month gives us more time to play. :p Obviously, we?re not going to get one for January, but maybe as early as February we could get something.

Some suggestions:
    February: Romance themed icons (Romeo and Juliet, Aragorn and Arwen?)
    March: Science Fiction themed icons (Spock, Aliens?)
    April: Fantasy themed icons (Gandalf the Grey, Jon Snow?)
    May: Comic Book themed icons (Batman, Spider-man?)
    June: Important Historical People themed icons (Winston Churchill, Albert Einstein?)
    July: Nation themed icons (Flags, mascots like eagles and beavers?)
    August: Villain themed icons (Dr. Evil, Saruman?)
    September: Celebrity themed icons (Tom Cruise, Christina Aguilera?)
    October: Horror themed icons (Vampires, ghosts?)
    November: Fantasy themed icons (Frodo, Harry Potter)
    December: Holiday themed icons (Santa, menorah?s?)

And yes, I?m aware that I put fantasy down twice. :p

KitFist0: Not sure if you've noticed, but most of out icons already seem to be Star Wars themed. ;) These themes wouldn't be permanent, just lasting a week or a month, but they?d be a lot of fun. I don?t think that they?d crowd out the Star Wars icons, and a little bit of extra color isn?t bad.

6. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]So basically, you want the icon makers to do nothing but make icons all year? :p[/color]

7. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    That sounds like a good idea to me.

8. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I fully endorse this idea as well.

9. Jedi_McHawkeye

Jedi_McHawkeye Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2003
    Another brilliant idea from a brilliant woman.

10. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    This could inject a lot of carefree fun into a place that often takes itself too seriously. We could have contests, awarding those pretty colors or set up threads where people can live vicariously through their new icons.

I get dibs on the Eliza Dushku Loves Me icon :D

11. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    This sounds really cool. I want villains especially.

12. Jedi_Lite

Jedi_Lite Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    This sounds like a great idea. I haven't had a real reason to change my icon before, but I might from time to time if we were offered more variety that deviated from the usual SW themes.

13. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I agree with the Empress on this issue. :)

14. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    This is an exceptional idea, brilliant in it's simplicity, considering how high the reward would be.

EP=best. VP. ever.

15. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    This is an excellent proposal EP.

For example we could have "current events" theme weeks and with the newsmakers as icons. (i.e. Chief Moose, Elian Gonzalez, James Trafficant, etc.)

EmpressPalpatine would make a great ac member/ JC moderator, btw. If only due to the fact that she is a great looking white woman. :cool:

16. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    [face_laughing]

speaking of goodlooking women, one idea I forgot to mention would be a Bond villain/Bond girl icon fest...

and no, I do not call dibs on "Pussy Galore".. ;)

I'm so much more a Xenia Onatopp type of girl...

17. Jedi_McHawkeye

Jedi_McHawkeye Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2003
    But I want to be Onatopp. :)

18. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    This is a great idea. It might make the icon makers go mad, but since I don't make icons anymore, it doesn't bother me at all. :p

19. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    You should bring it to Kadue, since he's incharge of icons now.

20. Nebucchad

Nebucchad Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    And there might be a problem as Kadue seems a bit busy...

I'd just like to thank G-S for all the work that he's done for us. He's been a great asset in taking care of this area of the boards for us.

As he said, I'm stepping back up to the plate and helping with the icons again. Due to the fact that I've got other duties here on the boards that occupy a lot of my time, along with a couple of other factors, I'm going to make a couple of slight alterations to the process, but the general plan will still be the same. I'll try and write it up for you all in the next day or two.

We'll see in "a day or two" what he thinks of it...

21. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I want my supermodels of the 1990's theme week, darnit.

22. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Despite being a VP candidate for a rival party, I must say that I do like this idea, though I am in no way associated with the Debocratic Parté.

*Takes suitcase full of money and walks out*

23. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    I also love the idea, and as an icon maker, that would be a blast!!

But, like was mentioned, it would be up to Kadue and his time availability.

24. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Grilled-Sarlacc's departure left a huge hole. This sounds like a great idea, but we are spread quite thin at the moment. We can discuss it in Mod Squad.

25. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    My time to do something like this shouldn't be too hard to arrange, as long as people are prepared that every now and then things might have to be skipped or pushed back if the situation requires it.

But I have a question of logistics here. For the last two holiday themes, we've had over 200 icons. That was a concerted effort on G-S' part to get done, but due to the infrequency and reasonings for it, it was something that could be managed. Yet it took almost 2 months to get the requisite icons (admittedly it could be done quicker), but it's a trade off kind of thing. You have to balance the number of icons put up against the length of time they will be up, and that will then dictate how long it would take to plan and set up. After about the 2 week point people were starting to tire of the Xmas stuff, and wondering when things would go back to normal.

What also has to be considered in that is how many icons are needed for this to be "worth" anything? Too few, and it's not much of a change, but too many and it becomes a problem for those involved.

A third consideration is that one reason that the holiday icons are so well received is because of the time between them, and the change they bring. Would constant changes to the icons like this continue interest, or would it then become the norm, and thus not as exciting as those few times a year when the restrictions on icon content is removed? Part of this is also how much part does the change in banner have on the impact, since there is a total, tangible change on the forums for that period of time.

I'm not saying no, but I am saying that there are things to think about. Will this be a continual fun thing to do, or will it become 'passé', and also reduce the fun value that the holiday periods have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.