main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Having Seen the PT...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by RKMeibalane, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    ...we have been able to learn a great deal more about many of the characters featured in the OT, most notably Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda.

Of the characters who have played important roles in both trilogies, name the character about whom your perception has changed the most. In other words, what character has changed the most in terms of how you view him, now that the PT is nearing its conclusion.

As for me, I think my perception of Yoda, more than any other character, has changed since the release of the Prequels.

Before seeing the PT, I knew the following things about Yoda:

1. He was extremely powerful in and knowledgable about the Force.

2. He was wise, often having an explanation for everything. He seemed to know all the answers, even before the questions pretaining to those answers had been asked.

Now, having seen the two existing PT films, I have a much different view of Yoda. I still think him as a powerful and wise man, but I see so much more in him than I did before.

More than anything, I have come to see Yoda as something of a tragic character in the Star Wars universe. It can be argued that no one lost more as a result of the Empire's emergence than the esteemed Jedi Master himself.

Remember, Yoda had been a Jedi for more than eight hundred years when the Republic fell. As a result of that event, his entire way of life was taken from him. All of his students, friends, and collegues within the Order, save for Obi-Wan (and Anakin, from a certain point of view), either died or drifted into obscurity after Palpatine's rise. Everything Yoda had believed in and supported for nearly a milennia... was gone.

Yet, in the face of the Jedi Order's most daunting challenge, its finest warrior held true to his values and beliefs. He did not waver or give into despair. He followed the path that the Force had laid before him, as all Jedi should.

I can't help but think of Yoda's line in ROTJ, when he reveals to Luke that he is dying.

He says, "Soon, will I rest. Forever sleep. Earned it, I have."

Truer words have never been spoken.

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Yoda, yes, but also Anakin.

We see that he is not an evil ******* all his life, that when he is younger, he would do anything to help others, but then as he grows older, he begins to change, and tends to help himself more than others.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    They have all changed but Anakin/Vader changed the most dramatically. To me he seems more human. That Hayden or little Jake Lloyd is behind the mask. It now makes since why he killed the Emperor. Not only was his son in pain but he himself knows what that pain feels like from AOTC. He seems like a much more complex character.

4. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    Yoda and Anakin.
    I was watching ANh awhile ago and I tried picturing Anakin as Vader but I couldn't.

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I think Obi-Wan changes a lot.

6. classixboy

classixboy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    The depiction of Anakin is kind of what I always expected it to be. Obi Wan, after all, when speaking with Luke in ep. 4, gives us a pretty good character sketch of what young Anakin was like in the good ol' days.

The depiction of Yoda, however, is completely mind-blowing. When I saw him leading the clones into battle in AOTC, I think my jaw dropped. I had never ever expected him to be the leading military strategist in the clone wars. It makes the fall of the Jedi all the more tragic.

7. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Yoda and anakin most definatly.

ep III with anakin ,i think, will defiantly help us imagine anakin under the mask while watching the OT

8. OrlandoT

OrlandoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 1999
    While my perception of many of the OT characters have changed, I learned more about Luke and Leia's mother than anyone else. Even though she was only mentioned once in the OT, it's been great learning about her trough the PT.

9. DARTH_OCKMAN

DARTH_OCKMAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2003
    I think Obi-Wan changes a lot

I still think he's the crazy drunk he was in the prequel trilogy.

IMO, I would have to say the Emperor, because he doesn't act near as evil in the PT as in the OT.

10. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    That's because he's trying to deceive people... ?[face_plain] :p

As to Obi-Wan, he's very arrogant in TPM. In AotC, however, he's maturing, yet he still shows signs of arrogance. He's very controling. Jump to ANH, and he's now more laid back. Instead of micro-managing every aspect of Luke's training, he sits back and lets Luke learn things himself.

Granted, he's still the same person, but it's quite obvious that over the course of the entire saga, he learns quite a few lessons and becomes very humbled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.