main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader) in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Feb 13, 2018.

?

Will Anakin appear in IX?

1. Yes

248 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. No

126 vote(s)
    33.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    What I’m about to suggest may seem impossible initially but... is it?

I think we all have just generally assumed that it would be impossible for Anakin/Darth Vader to:

A) Procreate ever again after being burned.

B) Find anyone who would ever want to voluntarily be with him afterward again.

I get it. He’s horribly scarred and looks a little like Deadpool after ROTS and for a while he would likely have seen no one like he did Padme but...

A) He might still have the same mindset as he used to around beautiful women. Regardless of how he looks on the outside.

B) Was in a position of ultimate power and influence for decades and there could easily have been at least one female over 2 decades who saw those two qualities and his charm as attractive and interesting. Hitler had a lover. A lot of old billionaires who seem gross to me have wives. It can seem controversial or gross to some but we can’t pretend it doesn’t ever happen.

Is it completely impossible he could have had a second romance in his life and sired a third child somehow? It’s not like children watching from here on out would find the idea of one parent having kids with a different person incredibly strange given the frequency of divorce and remarrying that occurs now. (Not that I’m saying he remarried again).

If so, how would it play out if Rey was his grandchild not from Luke or Leia but a different woman (Kerri Russel could have been the child of the other Vader/Rey Grandmother romance. What if the grandmother was written as a Dark Side user who was drawn to Anakin?

Rey would be a little closer to John Snow on Game of Thrones in that way where this thing happened in secret and she was completely unaware.

Just throwing it out there...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    If JJ was gonna be biased about anything i could possibly imagine it would be the force ghost thing. after all the prequels are one thing alone but when you have someone who grew up with the OT you may not wanna put your foot into that whole Special edition vs Original thing.

Although thats not to say they couldn't bring hayden back... Star wars has done magic based stuff before like Luke going into the cave on dagobah and seeing Vader.

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, if the child's name is Sunnyside Up ....

Dagobah_Dude likes this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    He had excellent skin care treatment after that though. The best of the best. Look how smooth things became even as an old man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m just saying... maybe we shouldn’t rule out the possibility entirely that someone might want to be with Vader after. Especially another Dark Side user perhaps.

5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I am afraid there is no skin care that can fix things like this

6. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, not only am I hoping Hayden is in IX, but I hope he and Luke are on it together.

7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    HAHA, Except Anakin wasn't old in ROTJ, he was like 46. But he looked 76. Because lava.

Would it kill JJ to have the Force Ghosts of Luke and Anakin both appear together to Ben? That unites the lead Skywalker of all three trilogies in one scene. What better way to "tie things together" and really bring things to a climax in terms of Ben's soul?

I would 100% be excited to see Hayden back in this capacity for one scene. Have him in the "Obi-Wan style" robes just like we saw him at the end of ROTJ.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    TadoFett, Skylo_92, Gai' Phó and 3 others like this.
  8. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    Before The Last Jedi, I was strongly of the feeling that Anakin would not return, because yeah, that opens up what is arguably one of the most controversial no-win scenarios from all the films. Anakin's ghost is a lot more loaded a proposition than simply bringing a prequel character or other element into the new films. That's why I predicted (correctly, as it turned out) that Yoda would be the ghost in TLJ; he can show up without getting into the old/young thing.

Now, though...I could almost see Christensen being included as part of a wide gambit to endear Episode IX, and by extension the sequel trilogy, to parts of the fanbase who aren't feeling well-served at the moment.

Personally, I've mellowed on Christensen over time and I wouldn't be opposed to him showing up, but I'd rather it be in some sort of vision or flashback or something, since I did grow up with the OT and Sebastian Shaw is Anakin's ghost as far as I'm concerned.

TadoFett and Gai' Phó like this.
  9. Gai' Phó

Gai' Phó Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2018
    It's a larger issue, but a 'Legacy' version of Episodes I-VI is kinda needed to bring them into continuity with the new trilogy. Amongst other issues like advancing the CGI, some aspect of the Sebastian Shaw ghost could be restored in RotJ. We've just seen the older Anakin behind Vader's mask; so there's no reason for him to suddenly lose 23 years (especially now that VI isn't the final episode). Rather than a total reversion, I'd enjoy seeing Sebastian Shaw morph into Christensen with synchronized motion, giving Force ghosts a 'metaphysical' attribute.

Force ghost reverse-aging would explain why Yoda looks so much younger in TLJ, and open the possibility for prequel trilogy actors in Episode IX.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Dagobah_Dude, eko32eko7 and Jo Lucas like this.
  10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

Bacta will have it's work cut out with that.

11. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Just saw the TCW trailer. With Anakin returning to TV, is this a sign that he may return to film?

eko32eko7, Lee_, Jo Lucas and 2 others like this.
  12. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    God I hope so.

13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If they want to give the saga a sense of closure, I think they should.

14. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    It’s the Skywalker Saga: have the 3 Skywalkers me in a scene together. Too bad One Skywalker can’t make it.

themoth likes this.
  15. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    It's too late for him now...

16. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    *Skywalker men

Autocorrect, you are suck.

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You don't need these

[​IMG]

to sire a child, by the way, not even in real life. Ever heard of cloning technology? So the whole Rey as Vader's grandchild thing is entirely possible, even if it seems unlikely. But it could work if there's a good backstory for it, Rey being the result of experimentation using Vader's DNA and stuff like that. There's that whole nature vs. nurture angle to it which was also an important theme of the OT.

18. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016
    The one thing I was really excited about with Colin Trevorrow and I hope that’s still JJ’s goal; the comments of bringing the entire franchise to a close. And as the Skywalker saga, i would forever be disappointed of Anakin/Hayden and Luke/Mark don’t show up in this film at the least in a cameo.

Gai' Phó, wobbits and Lee_ like this.
  19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Even less likely (but to me far cooler): He used the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life :p

eko32eko7 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Can y'all please stop posting stupid gigantic pictures that have nothing to do with the topic? Kthnxbye.

Gai' Phó and wobbits like this.
  21. ChipRock

ChipRock Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    Thinking about how IX might pan out, I'm increasingly positive about an appearance from Hayden. I've no real fondness for the prequels, so this isn't a personal issue for me, but story wise it seems likely we're going to have to focus on Rey and Kylo, and I'm convinced that Kylo is going a bit loopy, and what better way to confront this than deal with his Vader fanboy issues? He's been mocked by Luke, leaving Rey to reject him and then escape, and then his mother dies... there's going to be a big internal struggle, and a visit from a Vader/Anakin force ghost could become a key point in his future and the end of the trilogy. In that case then, it would make perfect sense to have Hayden appear. Who else at this stage has any influence over Kylo? If Luke appeared to Kylo he'd surely reject any attempt to influence his future actions, and Rey made the decision at the end of VIII to close the door on him.
    I don't know what Hayden looks like these days, but if he's going to have a digital force glow, he may as well get a digital touch up to limit any ageing from the prequel era. So yeah, bring it on.

wobbits likes this.
  22. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I hope they bring Anakin back into the story somehow. But another way for Kylo to get the real deal about Vader is for R2 to share some Intel. After all his memory wasn't wiped. Or maybe it's the other way around. Rey can see more about Kylo's story since he was around during his time with Luke.

Still, I'm hoping for a Hayden appearance!

wobbits likes this.
  23. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    Disney can kiss it's promise good-bye that it'll distance itself from the prequel trilogy. First they created a carbon copy of A New Hope which people hated, now they'll make references to the prequels. Then there'll be a mixed backlash. This is gonna get more and more humorous. :D

24. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    When did Disney ever promise that it would distance itself from the prequels? The very first scene of TFA references the prequels. Rogue One references them. TLJ references them. Solo referenced them. They're bringing back The Clone Wars cartoon. If Disney actually did make such an odd promise, they're doing a pretty lousy job upholding it.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  25. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    They never said anything of the sort, and this notion of "Carbon copy" movies is comical. Of course there are huge similarities, because it's the same universe, and some of the same characters fighting more battles in the same war. This isn't Star Trek...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Luke'sSeveredHand and miasma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.