main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Hayden Christensen didn't leave the movie industry because of the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SW Saga Fan, Jan 4, 2016.

1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Many people, especially Star Wars fans, think that Hayden Christensen, who played Anakin Skywalker in Episodes II & III, mostly quit acting because of fans' backlash against his performance in the two latest prequels. But 1 or 2 days ago, he revealed the real reasons why he became silent in the movie-making industry and it wasn't because of the prequels.

Article from Cinema Blend: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Hayden-Christensen-Quit-Acting-Star-Wars-102847.html

2. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    This is wonderful to hear. I always thought he was great in both movies.

I hope he does change his mind though so he can show up as a force ghost in future installments.

3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    This doesn't surprise me. He certainly wasn't box office poison. As much as the "internet" may have hated him, most everyone I know thought he was great, or at the very least, wasn't bad. Anyone I know whose had a problem with his performance wasn't because his acting, but because of the script he had to actually perform.

pepoluan and Shaak Ti like this.
  4. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I've never understood why he's considered a bad actor, since he's given decent performances in other films. I haven't seen it myself, but he's meant to be excellent in Shattered Glass.

5. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I watched Shattered Glass and yes, he's excellent. I actually think he's better in bad guy roles, he has something evil in his look lol. That's why I especially enjoy ROTS after Anakin turns to the dark side, probably even more than I should.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    people don't think he quit because of sw.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Nor has he quit in the first place as seeing his last movie was in 2015.

Davak24, Shaak Ti and thejeditraitor like this.
  8. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Yeah I never heard ANYONE say he quit because of SW. I figured he's been in a few lackluster roles since then due to lack of talent.
    Unless I am confused and great actors routinely star in 'faith-based' films.

9. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Yes, he is excellent in Shattered Glass. He received near universal praise from critics for it. And that was only like a year after AOTC came out. There was even some faint talk in a few corners about a possible Oscar or Golden Globe nomination. I highly recommend Shattered Glass, by the way. It is a journalism movie, but the way it is executed you feel like your'e watching a Hitchcock thriller.

wobbits and CT1138 like this.
  10. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    He did a movie in china last year called outcast with nick cage. they play disillusioned crusader knights that end up in china and protect the emperors younger children from their older brother. Its cheesy but hayden put his sword training for star wars to good use.

QueenSabe7, pepoluan and Shaak Ti like this.
  11. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Good to hear Anakin

12. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Of course nic cage gives a wickerman movie level performance in it. If you have netflix its still up.

thejeditraitor and Deliveranze like this.
  13. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Good to hear

14. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

[​IMG]

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Christopher Lee did it better.

16. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

Shaak Ti likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    He is better in this one GIF then misty actors can ever hope to be. IMO. @};-

Worker11811 likes this.
  18. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

Chill brah, agree by the way.

19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    honestly, i couldnt see a better option than him to play Anakin in the prequels. ESPECIALLY in Episode 3... he was awesome and very convincing at the end of RotS. I loved him acting as Anakin.

20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Hayden was alright. But I never heard this idea he quit acting because of SW. Are they confusing Hayden with Jake Lloyd?

What is it with this media desire to have every actor in a SW movie, especially the prequels, turn around and say "Star Wars ruined my life!"?

There was recently the Natalie Portman thing, then there was Ewan years ago and even Liam Neeson being misquoted about his experience in Episode One. It's like the media just wants that story.

[face_dunno]

DBPirate, Padema, solrdzm and 4 others like this.
  21. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015
    Well headlines in newspapers are not something people should always believe. So yes, some headlines those days say something like "This is the reason Hayden Christensen quit acting after Star Wars". Of course if you read the whole article you will see that he never actually quit acting.

Though he did make a brake from acting from 2010 until 2014. But he never quit. :)

Also I think that interview is not really new, they just waited for the right time to publish it I guess.

solrdzm, Shaak Ti and SW Saga Fan like this.
  22. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    That's because Stephen Glass practically created a Hitchcock thriller of a life around himself. [face_laugh]

Honestly, none of the actors in the PT are any bad. I just think they all performed on different levels of mediocrity based on experience. They actually made well with the flat dialogue and apathetic director they had to deal with. The greats like Liam Neeson, Ian McDiarmid, Samuel L Jackson, and Christopher Lee had the best performances because, let's face it, they've not only got the most experience but they're each legends in their own right. Meanwhile, actors like McGregor, Christensen, and Portman all do very well in other, non-SW movies, but just kinda had to work through what they were given in the PT. They just didn't have the experience to trudge through a bad script unscathed. Heck, Christopher Lee himself had enough experience with bad scripts playing in increasingly bad Universal Monster pics in the 60's and 70's, many times opposite Peter Cushing. I remember hearing one story of Christopher Lee storming into Cushing's dressing room while filming Curse of Frankenstein complaining of having no lines. Cushing replied, 'You're lucky! I've read the script." [face_laugh] It's not so much that Christensen is a bad actor, because he's not. He's just not an experienced actor.

23. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count.

Deliveranze and Shaak Ti like this.
  24. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    As I've said before - Hayden gets WAY too much blame for his performance in the PT. I've seen no evidence to suggest he wasn't doing what was asked of him by the director.

And to be fair to Hayden, not everyone is Harrison Ford who's willing to challenge the dialogue (if your someone who thinks the dialogue was bad). Who here is willing to walk up to the CEO of their company and tell them that the job description they've been given is wrong?

wobbits and only one kenobi like this.
  25. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    I think Hayden gave a good performance in the prequels and there's no need to lay "blame." He had an extremely difficult part and he made sure he integrated as much of the performances of the other actors who've portrayed Anakin/Vader as he could.

And there is a documented instance of him challenging the director, with regards to the scene where Anakin confesses to Padmé about the Tusken slaughter. Lucas wanted him to be completely unemotional throughout, then break down at the end. Hayden wanted Anakin to start out upset, get more and more so as the scene progresses, then break down. Hayden's version won out.