main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Anakin Skywalker in the New Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yep, me too...Hope, (sincerely) that Anakins last appearance was in ROTJ. He isn't needed in the ST, not for me. In fact, the more I ponder over it? there should be no communion with ghosts from the past in VII. Let's move on from that for pity's sake. If any Jedi is to appear as a ghost in the ST? Then it should be Luke, and only Luke. IF and possibly WHEN the story calls for it?

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    1-6 is Anakin's story, 4-9 is Luke's story and 7-9 is Daisy's story* with possibility for 10-12 as well.
    *Placeholder since I have no idea who will be the hero will be for the ST.
    There will be nods and mentions back to Anakin and company but there story was wrapped up. I can see a vision of Vader and or Palpatine happening.

Visitant likes this.
  3. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Eh, you're splitting hairs at this point. While familial love is different than the love between partners, it can still lead to desperation for control. The thing is, Luke has never been as possessive or obsessive as his father. And when he was veering into that territory, he got spanked hard and learned his lesson.

Besides, it's ridiculous to think that in the 30 years after RotJ Luke hasn't found love, or knows how to handle it. He's supposed to be in his 50s now, correct? It's pretty lame to think he needs to hear a lesson in love from his deceased dad.

No, it's not a good idea. One of the few things GL got right in the PT was contrasting Anakin with Luke. Luke is the paragon. He surpassed his father in every way that matters, including temptation. Anakin may be the Chosen One, or whatever other nonsense, but Luke is the hero. And the films are very explicit about it. Having Luke take council with his dead father would be a step back, IMO.

4. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    People sure do spill a hugh quantity of digital ink nitpicking what are essentially "B" grade serials with "A" grade production values. And I think people are more enamored of the idea of SW (i.e., what the movies represent and what they think the movies should have been) than they are with the movies themselves.

Ask yourself, "Are you not entertained?" You must be, and why not just leave it at that?

5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'll think you'll find the one episode of the serial that binded the whole story together and actually gave the saga thematic 'weight', was then abandoned in favour of lazy storytelling that was designed to 'Make the maximum amount from the merchandising'.

Roger Goldleader likes this.
  6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there's no reason for anakin to be in this. luke had 30 years to talk to his dad via ghostie talk.

Force Smuggler and Jcuk like this.
  7. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    While Sir Alec is the prob the greatest actor in all of the movies so far, I'd say overall the best actor in SW is Mark Hamill. He sold everything and made me believe everything around him was real. He went from whiny teenager, to cocky young adult, to mature adult across all 3 movies. Guess what...that is life. And he performed it perfectly.

8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    No Hayden please. He's (now) already in one too many SW movies

9. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Agree wholeheartedly. If seeing Luke wrestle with those demons and commune with his Force Ghost father, let it be via novel or comic.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think there's a time limit for pondering the legacy of your family and/or communing with a family member if an avenue of communication is open. Perhaps Luke didn't need to talk to his dad during the 30 year span because no galaxy-shaking or soul-wrenching personal conflict came up during that time.

Darkslayer, Trebor Sabreon and VMeran like this.
  11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Merchandising was pretty much invented by 1977 Star Wars - don't make yourself look too ignorant by associating that with the latter movies.

NostalgiaFan and VMeran like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yep, by Christmas '77 Star Wars actually pulled off selling an empty box with the promise of toys to arrive at a later date. Hardly the mark of an art for art's sake mentality.

13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Hahahahaa!!!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Oh, and let's not forget the commercial crassness of the Boba Fett promo campaign complete with mail certificates (requiring the purchase of multiple Star Wars action figures), tied in with the Holiday Special cartoon... If that didn't scream commercial cash grab I have no clue what else does.

It's really funny, all of this nonsense about merchandizing and Lucas' lust for money started around the time Gary Kurtz started flapping his gums after he was fired from Empire with Kurtz's suggestions that he was "disillusioned" with Star Wars because it was "all about the toys" now. Newsflash Gary, Star Wars has ALWAYS been about merchandising and expanding, it's the reason Lucas wanted the merchandizing rights, because there's far more money to be made there than from the box office returns.

Yancy

15. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    It seems to me that Anakin and the other force ghosts should be in the sequel trilogy, but if not, an explanation should be given as to why they are gone. I'm doubtful that Anakin will be in The Force Awakens, if Luke really does have just a small role, but maybe he will turn up in a later episode. If Anakin's old lightsaber really is an important plot line, with Darth Vader also seeming to have some importance to the plot (the melted helmet) you would think that Anakin would show enough interest to show up. I know some people don't especially like Hayden's portrayal of Anakin, but I think the inclusion of a major prequel character would help to tie all 9 films together.

16. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

While it may make sense in plot terms, Disney will look to avoid any direct references to the prequels IMO.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it is fine if it fits into the story. I thought it was a real possibility back when we knew nothing about TFA (and we thought they would be using the story that Lucas wrote), I have my doubts now.

We know it is JJ's story and not Lucas's, and I don't see that as something JJ would want to include.

18. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    No. Hayden is a disgrace.

19. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    months ago i was certain we were gonna see a yoda force ghost. now having seen the trailers and looking at the toys i dont think luke will be featured prominently in the movie at all. i dont think there will be time for a force ghost conversation. so im now predicting no force ghosts in ep. 7. i do however think there will be one in ep. 8.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    If they really want to mirror the OT, then no Force Ghost in TFA, but we will see one in 8 and in 9…Not out of the question, really. Yoda is a massively popular character. Rey will likely be under Luke's training in 8…why not have Yoda cameo during the training sequence as a callback to Empire Strikes Back and Luke's own training?

If the ST shapes up to be about both Anakin and Vader's legacies, why not have Anakin's ghost appear briefly in Episode 9? If it's written well and it's brief, it could work. And I don't think Disney is as anti-PT as a lot of the hardcore fans are. The prequels are popular, they made a ton of money, and many kids today prefer them to the OT. I could see Disney/LFL wanting to throw the younger PT fans a bone by having Hayden cameo as Anakin's ghost in 9.

VMeran and NostalgiaFan like this.
  21. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    They would never touch this with a 10 foot pole; it's one thing to bring back Ewan, who is universally appreciated, but they're not going to use someone who is still largely derided for his performance and who hasn't done much meaningful work since. Unless Hayden Christensen makes a sudden career comeback and becomes an Oscar winning actor by the time Episode 9 films, they would more likely just hire a guy who looks kinda like Sebastian Shaw to play the Force Ghost.

22. Annelize Livia

Annelize Livia Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2015
    Hi. Perhaps if Luke doesn't play a major role, there probably won't be any force ghosts at all. Or maybe Yoda and Obi-Wan could appear to guide the new characters. However, I have seen the trailer and it seems like Han is in the next movie, so who knows?

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    For the love of God - No! The worst actor to ever appear in a Star Wars film...

24. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    If a Force Ghost needs to appear, Yoda is the obvious choice. He's the only one who can be made to look right and not tick people off.

25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This...and only this!! (Gotta be the puppet though) :cool:

lovelikewinter likes this.