main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Anakin Skywalker in the New Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    And I would point those who want Hayden to be replaced to his onscreen chemistry with Ewan McGregor, which I stand by is excellent. Also, it's funny you bring up people being vocal, because in my experience, people who dislike Hayden are a vocal minority. I'm not saying he's a great actor, or that people love him, but the extreme hatred for his acting comes from a small group of people on the internet, again in my experience. And as was demonstrated with TFA, a small group of people on the internet who don't like something has zero effect on the popularity of the film, it's box office, etc. So I strongly doubt those people would play into their decision.

And you're dodging the question. Would you or would you not be okay with Mark Hamill being recast due to his previous acting in Star Wars being deemed "bad" or "not good enough"?

Qui-Riv-Brid and Mostly Handless like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I wouldn't be okay with it though I think the scenario is a different one. The original force-ghost was Shaw not Hayden and only due to Lucas' meddling would people think Hayden is the definitive ghost (though not for me I watch the original editions). Luke has always been played by Hamill in the movies on the other hand.

I also didn't think Hayden had great chemistry with McGregor and that would only come into play if they're in a scene together.

If I walk around asking people about Hayden I would undoubtedly get many negative answers.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

3. Mother of Dragons

Mother of Dragons Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    But he's still Anakin. This is quite a circular conversation. You don't like him as Anakin, fine. I doubt LFL and Disney will be consulting you or any of the anti-Hayden crowd though. As stated, if it makes sense for the story they want to tell, then it is probably next to impossible that anyone but Hayden will play the role. It's time to move on to the acceptance phase of the grieving process. The ship has sailed. It's over. I guess if Hayden pops up in 8 or 9 or a spinoff or whatever, you can just close your eyes and hold your ears throughout his screen time. Or you can just deal and come to the forums later and complain!

Andy Wylde, wobbits, Lee_ and 6 others like this.
  4. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    If you walk around asking random people what they thought of Hayden Christensen, they'd probably ask, "Who?" because they're not as nerdy as the rest of us.

That, or they'd say, "Who the hell are you and why are you talking to me?" So...probably not advisable.

Andy Wylde, wobbits, MissJo and 6 others like this.
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Up until Obi-Wan leaves for Utapau in ROTS there chemistry is there between Ewan and Hayden in that particular film, the dialogue isn't always the best but it allows for some banter and for the first time we see them as best friends. What happened before in AOTC is down to very poor writing, the dialogue being awful and having Obi-Wan and Anakin bickering all the time was tiresome at the best. You also have to take into account the latter seasons of TCW, even though it's different voice actors, they're still doing impressions of Hayden and Ewan.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Hey! Do you hate Hayden Christensen as much as I do?!"
    "Umm... if I say 'yes', will you leave me alone?"

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    ;)
    You really overestimate the emotional stakes if you think I'm in any sort of "grieving process" lol. And I'm not saying its unlikely that Hayden plays a role in VIII, however I personally think it's better to recast in his case (or CGI Shaw).

Not a bad point. However, people who don't care about SW are not likely to watch a SW-movie anyways.

Django Fett

I agree that the relationship between Obi and Anakin worked in parts of ROTS. However I can't simply excise AOTC from my judgement. Bad dialogue or not, the acting between those two was pretty crappy.

8. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    "Hey! Hayden or Shaw!?"
    "How about Punch?"
    "Who?"
    "Punch to the face."

9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't know if this has been changed, but I'm pretty sure Lucasfilm made the Shaw ghost noncanon after the 2004 release.

Iron_lord and Mostly Handless like this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Before this gets all riled up again into another canon argument...

Yes; whatever is shown in the most recent version of the films is what is now considered canon by the LFL story group.

11. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017

Glad to hear this from another corner. I've always felt that Obi-wan and Anakin made quite a nice odd-couple, perhaps not as iconic as C-3PO and R2D2, but entertaining in their own right.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

wobbits, MissJo and Deliveranze like this.
  12. S73

S73 Jedi Master

Dec 21, 2014
    I would love for HC to get a 2nd chance. I don't believe his "performance" in the PT was his fault. have seen him in other movies & he was a much better actor. The dialogue for the PT didn't help him at all.

Would love to see him get a chance at redemption much like the character he played. How's that for irony?

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    He already got a second chance and I don't see why he's more deserving than an unknown actor.

14. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    I agree he might be better with Rian he is though. I have to admit though didn't like how he chose to portray paster potter I think is his real name he gave him a southern accent he doesn't speak like that . But I did like Hayden in looper

15. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Because he actually already played the character. That's reason enough to be more deserving than anyone else.

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I find the chemistry between them excellent all the way through AOTC and ROTS. I understand that for many they wanted the friendship alluded to from ANH to be present in that form right away but that simply was not the story or how the characters would be. That is a reflection of the original version of the story where they are boyhood friends on Tatooine who go off to be Jedi together and fight in the Clone Wars. Anakin has to reflect both that and the Darth Vader who is Obi-Wan's student. So AOTC had to lean towards that impatient student aspect which is where Obi-Wan is more a father figure. It's only after he's a Jedi Knight that the brotherhood friendship aspect is brought to the foreground.

Luke and Han were constantly bickering and arguing in ANH and they barely knew each other. Obi-Wan and Anakin had been together for 10 years and so there "bickering" is far stronger to understanding the characters motivations.

Luke and Han "bicker", Leia and Han "bicker", 3PO and R2 "bicker", Baze and Chirrut "bicker" yet for some reason with them it's alright. Can't say I have ever understood this exclusion for them. Anakin and Obi-Wan are clearly good friends as ably demonstrated in the Coruscant chase in the comedic style used in the other movies.

For Anakin not to be "young Vader" would undermine the overall story.

I believe he gives the best performance in the entirety of the movies. He plays the most difficult character of all to play outside of Luke.

This is the thing. By the logic that some apply to HC as Anakin then Luke and Leia should have been recast for TFA.

I also find for many of those people that they in whole or part think that almost every actor in the prequels gave uniformly bad performances outside of ID and EM.

That there really was very little praising the acting of Star Wars at anytime (or the dialogue that some are obsessed with talking about) seems to be overlooked.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Wrenegade

May 8, 2015
    Because he is Anakin Skywalker. He is the most recognizable in the role, and considering that they literally just ressurected Peter Cushing digitally to reprise his role, I strongly doubt that anyone at Lucasfilm, RĂ­an Johnson or otherwise, would make such a major breach in actor continuity because a few people didn't like Hayden. And they ESPECIALLY will not go through the effort of doing CGI Sebastian Shaw, since his appearance is no longer canon and very few people remember his face specifically as Anakin.

Andy Wylde, wobbits, MissJo and 4 others like this.
  18. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Qui-Riv-Brid

The thing is that none of those you mentioned became childish, it's more than bicker, they have absolutely no connection. Anakin hates Obi-Wan by the time his mother dies, it totally destroys what we see in ROTS with his tantrums. If anything it weakens Anakin when he becomes Vader that the audience can remember when he was brat throwing hissy fits, not enhance this uber powerful Sith Lord.

11-4D likes this.
  19. Wrenegade

May 8, 2015
    Yeah, um, pretty sure most teens have said they "hate" their parents, doesn't mean they do. And I don't know if we're watching the same movie, but they clearly have a connection as far as I can tell.

Andy Wylde and Mostly Handless like this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This thread is for discussing future films... not lamenting a history that some people are butthurt that they have no ability to rewrite.

21. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012

Just a query...

It's very difficult discussing this subject without people using previous films to add weight to their argument, whatever it may be. I think HC is unique in this, his performances from earlier films drew such a strong reaction, it's nearly impossible to discuss him without referencing his previous films.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Another option- find a psychotherapist and process your Hayden issues with them.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. They would ask if you got your first date before the age of 30.

Andy Wylde and JoshieHewls like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The sole "unique" scenario is that the actor as a topic seems to misinform individuals that they have some sort of carte blanche to **** all over the prequels in violation of a rule we take seriously enough that it is literally a giant banner at the top of every page. Discussing the characterization of a character during a point in his fictional life that takes place literally 60 years before the film we should actually be discussing is not conducive to anything other than personal agendas to drag out 15 year grievances with AOTC. Yes, Hayden was once given a spurious script and told to whine as a teenager. Unless you truly believe that Rian Johnson intends to hand Hayden a questionable script and direct him to be a tantrum throwing teenager in TLJ, the only reason to drudge up how he was directed to act at a completely different time in the character's history is to complain about those past films. We have forums dedicated to discussing those films. This is not that forum.

Exhaustive discussions about how teenage Anakin did/did not have a convincing relationship with adult Obi Wan is a discussion about ROTS. Spoiler alert: they would both be ghosts in the film we should be discussing. Spoiler alert: They would also be at completely different points in their development. Spoiler alert: They would also be written and directed by someone else, entirely.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think I said multiple times that Hayden sucked in Jumper as well.

The same argument could be made about Clooney in Batman Returns and we all know how that turned out. It's inherently silly to say that just because someone played a character that makes them the best choice automatically.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes, but what if Rian brings on Hayden to play Anakin's force ghost, and he can only remember the sand line from AOTC - repeating it over and over in a monotone voice?