main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hayden Christensen or Jake Lloyd? Vote.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Santos, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tee4jc85

tee4jc85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    If anyone remembers the 'making of' documentary on the Ep1 DVD, they showed them casting little Anakin; I think they should have chosen the kid with the blonde hair (more blonde than Jake anyway). He did that scene with Natalie in Watto's shop WAY better I think. He had this dark but 'matter of fact' way of speaking to her. I really liked it.

AND he is EXACTLY what Hayden looked like as a kid BTW.

they shoulda gone with that kid, whoever he is

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...this is really a tough question for me since I'm not all that thrilled with either Anakin. Hayden, for some reason, just annoys me to no end and Jake - well, others have covered my opinion of him in this thread already.

In the end, however, I'll have to settle for Hayden. Although he annoys me, that's not really a good reason not to acknowledge his performance or to put him down in the long run. I do think he did a fairly good job at portraying Anakin to the best of his ability(and with what he was given). So, yea...I prefer Hayden over Jake's portrayal of Anakin.

3. King_Jinn

King_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Hayden.

4. plokoon_da_sith

plokoon_da_sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    My biggest complaint about TPM (and i have very, very few) is Jake Lloyd. Hayden saved the character for me, and I can't wait to see him in ROTS.

5. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Hayden, of course. That Lloyd guy is SO ANNOYING in TPM.

6. Ord_Hulska

Ord_Hulska Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
  7. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    Both.

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

8. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Oh great thread. Just another excuse to knock a than 10- year-kid again. Thye resentment towards Jake Lloyd is rther sad really. TPM's biggest flaw was Jar Jar not Anakin.

9. Evil-Yoda

Evil-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    Hayden...

10. Darth_Arisin

Darth_Arisin Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
  11. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    Addressing the complaints that Hayden's Anakin was too boastful and whiny, here's some quotes for you...

"George was always telling him to act younger, more whiney. Hayden <i>hated</i> that!"
    -Natalie Portman, Empire Magazine, May 2002

"Poor Hayden, his performance is great. They just don't like his character."
    -George Lucas, Vanity Fair, February 2005

Also, if you watch the latest web documentary on Hayden, he says that in Episode 2, he was always told to hold back on the darkness in his character and he hated that at first, but now he understands that very specific things have to happen in Episode 3.

Anyways, if you think Hayden was whiney, remember that A) Lucas wrote and directed him that way for a reason and B) It's a Skywalker trait - the only difference between Luke and Anakin at age 20 is that Anakin kills sandpeople. ;)

I'm not saying Hayden was perfect. I think he definitely could have used some help in spots, but he nailed the intensity and emotion that I always pictured Anakin having. And his breakdown in the garage is equal parts sad, angry, guilty, and threatening - great stuff.

As for Lloyd, I feel bad for the kid, and I thought he had an expressive face, but boy, he could not utter lines to save his life. Watching the casting on the TPM documentary bugged me, as the other kid (previously mentioned in this thread) could take a line as clunky as "Are you an angel?" and give it a lit bit of subtlety instead of Lloyd's hammering-over-your-head delivery.

I know it's tough to criticize kid actors because they are just kids, but you asked why or why not I liked a performance, and that's just it.

12. Jediknight_Wendy

Jediknight_Wendy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    Hayden by far...the whole romantic issue with padme and anakin just didnt work with me..i mean he is a little boy...he should have been a teenager in TPM and i hate to say it as i know alot of people already to bash the poor kid..but his acting is...something very.. undesirable if i recall correctly anakin was orginally supposed to be older in the TPM however luca's wanted it to be more touching with a child parting from his mother and such and went that route dont take me for takeing the TPM as i adore it :)

Hayden i think fits the role perfectly and despite all of the complaints people have with him i think he fills the shoes of the role perfectly i honestly..never really noticed the wooden acting the only person who was ever wooden to me was natalie in the TPM however for the most part that was how her character was supposed to be so it wasnt a issue and it changed along with aotc Hayden has this wonderful way of showing a two faced personality he can be both sweet with a lingering darkness under his character he is very conviceing as i rember smileing quite a few times as Hayden sat there with Natalie in the open field fliting with one another it was cute and very sweet along with that moment were i felt a large mixture of pity and almost being scared of the character as he admited to killing the tuskens he was really pouring his heart out into it and i think it shows up on film and from the bit that ive gathered up from the trailer of ROTS i can say with confidence that he will undoubtfully prove his role as anakin again if not top his performance in Atoc :)

13. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Evil-Yoda posted on 4/9/05 2:34pm
    Hayden...
    [hr][/blockquote]

Word

14. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Hayden.

15. ShaakTi

ShaakTi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2004
    First off, the only thing Hayden has going for him is the pretty boy look, nothing more, he CAN do dramatic scenes, but sucks at other stuff, next Jake, he was a little kid, and did his best, but it wasen't good enough....so therefore I say.....

JAMES EARL JONES WINS!!!

Since JEJ is Vaders voice and Vader=Anakin it is only fair to include him.

16. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    eh it seems im one of a few people that thought jake did a good job. I totally fell bad for him to because he seems like a cool kid and he really tried and "I" thought he did a good job as good as anyone could of done I believe he was perfect for the part. My favourite scene with him is probly at the dinner table and if you listen to the audio commentry lucas is saying how good he did and its hard for any actor to do a scene that long and especially for a 9 year old kid. I liked the scens where the camera only focused on him when he talked. I also liked hayden as a more grown up anakin and i think hes really gonna get his chance to shine in the next movie. Anakin's character has probly been the hardest character to play in the PT and its where most of the critisiming (im a bad speller i know) comes from as far as acting but I think its more of the fact that they dont like his character. Everyone loved vader in 4,5 & 6 so they presumed they would love him in hes role in 1 and 2 but it wasent what they expected he was complex he was nice at times and angry at others he whined a lot he didnt do things most people thought he would but i got felling people are going to like him once he gets to his bad side in episode III and he starts acting like vader from the OT and becomes a total bad ass!

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    As much as I dislike Hayden as an actor, he's better than Jake.

18. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    "they shoulda gone with that kid, whoever he is "

Agreed. The bit after that on the DVD where they're trying to decide who to go with they pretty much came to the conclusion that the other kid was more trained as an actor and performed consistently well. But they liked Jake Lloyd because he was unpredictable with occasional bursts of greatness. Bad choice, but ah well. Coulda been worse. I don't know how that third kid even got that far into the audition process.

Anyway, Hayden. He's really good in the non-SW movies he's been in.

19. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I believe Hayden's doing an awesome job as young Vader. True, the connection between TPM Anakin and AOTC Anakin is a bit shaky, but if that had been played out better then there wouldn't be a problem.

20. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    This kid not only Looks like a young Hayden, but he can act. And if it ever would have called for it, he's an exeptional swordmen.:)

[image=http://www.maxgalleries.com/store/store-stars/images-a/ppbook-cover_300w.jpg]

21. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Hayden is Anakin.

Jake did a nice enough job. His real innocence as a child made the part work. I never had any issues with his performance.

22. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I think that kid from The sixth sence would suit better for the part of the young Anakin.

23. JediChick07

JediChick07 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    Jake looks nothing like Hayden. Jake looks like a goriila now. He was a cute kid, though. Sorry Jake, I love you but you do.

I vote Hayden. Jake was good too though, to me.

Hayden just was seething with so much emotion and depth.

24. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I disagree about Jake looking nothing like Hayden because they do bear some resemblence towards each other and plus, there is a morphing animation on the official site that depicts Anakin aging where he goes from Jake to Hayden.

25. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Hayden. Without question. He OWNS that role. I can't possibly imagine anyone else doing it. And from what I've seen of ROTS, people are going to be blown away by him. This is the payoff, the darker the character the better Hayden plays him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.