main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hayden Christensen set to quit acting! :(

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Renegade_Light, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray_Stantz

Ray_Stantz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    He can act, regardless of what some of you may think. Of course, he's the one making millions for his movies, what have most of you done?

Sorry if I sound a bit negative, but I don't believe in criticizing people, especially when they far outweigh the abilities of those criticizing...

I don't go around talking about how a certain baseball player is terrible, because quite frankly, to be in the MLB is to be a great player. I have no right to question their playing ability when mine isn't that good.

Same as how I'm not going to make fun of how short a guy is when he's taller than I am.

2. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I doubt Hayden is making millions. It actually takes quite awhile before that happens, unless an actor hits it big in a major breakout performances very early on in the career. Brad Pitt may be making $10 million a pop, but Oscar-nominee Natalie Portman only just recently broke the $1 million mark with Closer.

If Hayden becomes the next big thing in Hollywood, it's going to depend on how carefully he chooses his scripts, as well as him running into a healthy dose of luck. Hollywood is less skill than it is having connections and being in the right place at the right time. Whatever he chooses to do, though, I wish him well.

I know a lot girls' hearts who are going to be crushed by the sound of this. Not to mention the Orlando Bloom Bashing.

I didn't interpret that as Bloom bashing. More like he was giving an example of someone who might enjoy the business that he doesn't. Hayden's usually very careful in interviews to avoid insulting other people...

3. Ray_Stantz

Jun 19, 2001
    Yeah, he's not as dumb as Ashton Kutcher was to insult Keanu Reeves' career.

I don't really see the big deal with passing the 1 million a movie line (heck, I don't think Arnold needs 30 mil a film), after all, your salaries do add up.

Besides, as an actor, you shouldn't worry about how much money you make, but rather if you enjoy what you are doing. For example, If I were to actually get a break, I'd be striving to make a career as a character actor, stardom is not something that appeals to me... too much burden. Of course, if I were to get a break, who knows if I'd enjoy it, a highly liberal Hollywood isn't my idea of fun. (Moderate Conservative here and I don't take too kindly to anti-war protests...)

4. Darth_Skywalker2

Darth_Skywalker2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2004
    Hayden is my favorite actor and I hope he doesn't quit, but if he does, I wish him the best of luck in whatever he plans to do :) He is amazing in Life as a House as well as Shattered Glass in addition to Star Wars. Quit with the Hayden bashing, the kid is a really talented actor.

5. SithLord4488

SithLord4488 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    not alot of the actors in star wars original trilogy had a good career (except Ford), Hayden is not a good actor anyways

6. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    He's probably not quiting permentantly. He's probably going to take a couple years off to go to school. Natalie Portman kind of did the same although she did film at least AOTC while in school.

7. Mace_Winfield

Mace_Winfield Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Wow, so he thinks quitting acting after Star Wars will be his legacy, I dont think so.

First of all I think a younger Orlando Bloom would have been better as Darth Vader, and Hayden is not a good actor, he is a character actor. He is the same whiny brat in all his movies

Secondly I'm not paying more money to have my house built by a celebrity.

Good riddance

8. SithLord4488

SithLord4488 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    who cares about that terrible actor

9. scy121

scy121 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Yes they Portman and Christensen should both quit acting considering that they can't actually ACT

10. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    I cant blame him. The media practicly watches your every move.

Plus, after playing Darth Vader, what other movies could possibly interest you?

11. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    "Maybe the new Star Wars will be my last movie. "I don't find Hollywood interesting, so I'm thinking about studying architecture instead."

Hah, first of all, thats blatantly wrong, we know it is not his last movie, as he is currently filming another one...and second, it was in the Sun...some perspective people, please.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    You know an actor has made the big time when the tabloids start posting outrageous and outright lies about them.

13. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    Will he even need to get another job?

14. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Christensen sucks as an actor in the Star Wars movies, but I actually thought his performance in Shattered Glass was great.

The truth of the matter is, he didn't make silly money off of Star Wars. He was an unknown with no name value. The OT stars like Ford, Hamil and Fisher did make a buttload off of ESB and ROTJ because they were not signed to sequels when they signed on to do ANH (which they got paid bupkis for) and were able to demand silly amounts for ESB and Jedi.

15. Doctor_SuperJedi

Doctor_SuperJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    Who knows if he'd need to work again. I'd say he would, unless he lived a more humble lifestyle.

I'm sure Star Wars pays the actors well (of course I'm not privy to GL's payroll)... but then again, I doubt any of those actors and actresses were getting blockbuster checks out of it.

While Star Wars is one of the highest grossing franchises to be involved in, Lucas does employ "no name" actors and actresses frequently, or if he gets "bigger names," they're either of the highly sophisticated sort with experienced acting careers, and practically have no need or want for big checks, or they play relatively small roles, like Sam Jackson.

I don't know anything about how payrolls for movie stars actually works, but I wouldn't be surprised if Christensen wasn't making much more than SLJ, if not less than him.

That's not say he didn't make big bucks, but seriously, Christensen may have made a movie that has huge status, but he wasn't making 'Die Hard' or 'Terminator' money off of it.

16. SaeseeJim

SaeseeJim Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2003
    Hayden's acting in ROTS was way better than AOTC. But I think it's good he's quitting to pursue something else that he's interested in. In his spare time he could teach sword lessons. I'm glad too, because I hate it when someone plays good in a really famous movie(aka Star Wars) and then sucks in other movies, I don't want that to happen to him.

17. Klawria

Klawria Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2001
    you can't be serious....his acting, well there is something to be desired there. I was not convinced at just about all of his scenes.

18. the_collopofone

the_collopofone Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    so Natalie and Hayden are "dating" now?

when did this happen?

19. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    They aren't. It was just a rumor.

Why the heck did this topic immediately descend into a Hayden bashing thread?

Oh wait, who am I kidding. This forum couldn't keep a thread running positively if its life depended on it.

20. Ray_Stantz

Jun 19, 2001
    Well, so they are mad that he is 50 times the actor they'd ever be, nothing to be done about it.

Maybe its because they don't get to makeout with Natalie Portman?

21. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    i think that he should stay on in acting...

i watched him in the movie Life as a House and Shatted Glass and i rekon that he was great in both of them.

He should stay on acting after he does his other 2 movies :)

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think it matters whether he's acting or not- people are *always* going to identify him with Anakin. Not all people, but some. He could be selling carpet and people would still come to gawk at Darth Vader.

Sadly that's just a fact. I mean, some people are only ever going to identify Ewan with Obi-Wan and he's done literally dozens of things and will continue to. For someone younger and earlier in his career like Hayden, the SW stigma will stick even more.

In a sense, it's better to be known for something than for nothing. He's already had a lot more acting opportunity than a lot of struggling actors will ever have. But personally I think it's just a bit of a phase of his. If he likes acting at all, he should probably stick with it.

Remember, Hollywood doesn't care about talent. I think Hayden's talented, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that right now he has the prospect of being able to sell tickets. We shall see I think... but regardless, I don't see him just completely stepping away from acting. That's what he's trained to do, what he does.

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. Ray_Stantz

Jun 19, 2001
    Case in point, Christopher Reeve and since Kevin Spacey was brought up and we're talking about Superman here, then it works out perfectly.

24. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    Qu_Klaani posted on 5/25/05 2:11pm
    [b]"Maybe the new Star Wars will be my last movie. "I don't find Hollywood interesting, so I'm thinking about studying architecture instead."[/b]

Hah, first of all, thats blatantly wrong, we know it is not his last movie, as he is currently filming another one...and second, it was in the Sun...some perspective people, please.
    [hr][/blockquote]

that's what i was wondering about, just how credible is the source? not too long ago there was word that he's gonna work with SLJ and Nick Gillard on another film in the near future and that he's got someting lined up now.

anyway, if this is his true intentions then i wish him well. its a shame though because he really is talented, and has potentials to be one of the best actors of his generation.

anyway, kudos to him if he values to develop his mind more than his ego. maybe hanging around Natalie has done him good in more ways than one.

25. Virago

Virago Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2005
    I heard it was probably misquoted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.