main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Hayden Christensen's acting at the end of Episode III?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MatthewH, Dec 29, 2015.

1. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Instead of generalising...

I loved the Anakin in AOTC. Every time I watch that movie, I feel, that, yes, I want a guy who speaks like him, who has eyes like him and looks at me with those eyes like this guy does... And don't get me wrong, Hayden is NOT my type of man at all. It's not because he is "good looking", for me he is not really (I prefer dark eyes, black hair etc...). But he was totally convincing that he was in love. And frankly I'm so emotionally attached to the character that I cannot watch ROTS at all, despite it being my favorite SW movie. I cannot watch his fall to the Dark Side (even if I love Lord Vader with all my heart, but the fall itself is too painful...)

Admiral Volshe and -NaTaLie- like this.
  2. CCK1979

CCK1979 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    Yeah, George Lucas wanted to do his own thing. I think he didn't care that much about the money. If he had wanted to please the audience then he would have portrayed Anakin like Rey is portrayed in TFA.

Back on topic: I also liked his performance. I think he played Anakin just like George Lucas had written him.

3. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I've seen Hayden in other roles; he s not that bad at acting. It's Lucas' directing. He's good at building an overall arc; establishing themes; and setting up an overall arc. His weaknesses is at making believable dialogues and coaxing performances out of actors.

4. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

I'm not sure why Anakin would be like Rey, but beside that....I really don't understand this argument. If he didn't want to please the audience...then why did he make the movies for general release? Why would criticism of his work matter if pleasing the audience was not a concern?

If it was not pleasing the audience (that he quite obviously was seeking - hence releasing the movie) then what was he intending? To impress the audience? What motivation was it that made Lucas release films that were not intended to please an audience? There comes a point where one has to contemplate a level of....contempt?

DarthCricketer and Darth__Lobot like this.
  5. CCK1979

CCK1979 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    There were a lot of people who disliked Anakin for being whiney, arrogant, etc. I think Rey is a more likeable character and if Anakin had been portrayed that way there would have been less criticism.

I guess I phrased this wrong. I think he wanted to do his own thing while wanting as much people as possible to like that. But he would not compromise his own vision just to please the audience.

DrDre and Skellybobs like this.
  6. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015

Luke was whiny and people don't hate him for it. They disliked Anakin because he was not what they thought he would be. So yeah he probably wouldn't be disliked as much if he was like Rey, but him being like Rey wouldn't make any sense.

Can you really imagine someone like Rey doing everything Vader did?

But then again, we only have one movie with Rey, who knows what she will be like in the future movies.

7. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

I get that Anakin was portrayed pretty...unsympathetically (as opposed to Rey). I do't think he had to be Rey or Luke, but I think the 'foreshadowing' went a little over the top. Honestly, I don't know in what universe a mass-murder is simply a sign of a troubled boy...and I don't know how the character we're supposed to believe Padmé is at that point would, equally, consider that a minor issue that she needs to 'fix'. I mean...I know that if we become fixated upon a person we can overlook certain faults but......that?!! Really?

As Ob-Wan says to Qui-Gon in TPM ; "I think you've overdone it". And, as Qui-Gon says a little later"none of this makes any sense" (and how right he was)

KaleeshEyes, DarthCricketer and DrDre like this.
  8. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I honestly liked Haydens acting in this movie, I think he showed the fall to the dark side pretty well even though he turned dark immediately it had to believable for him to become Vader. I like the PT and Hayden is a big part of why, I think Natalie and him were good together honestly I simply think that it was hard for people to see Vader as this young man with so much emotion, which is annoying. I think they showed why he turned quite well, he saved his mother, and tried to save the love of his life. to me Adam Driver is giving a similar performance to Hayden but he's a lot more whiny and is just really annoying to me not the acting but the character of Kylo I have no sympathy for Anakin lost his mother. and turned to save people Kylo turned for power it seems like. At the end Anakin got addicted to power but that wasn't his initial intention.

9. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    His dialogue delivery is still a little awkward, but he's much better here than in AOTC.

Darth__Lobot likes this.