main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[HCSF] box office predictions

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthRandolph, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthRandolph

DarthRandolph Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2003
    how well do you think episode 3 will do in the box office

2. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I think it will make somewhere between $290-$350 million. It might make more than AOTC but it won't even come close to TPM.

3. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I agree with the 290-300 mark.

4. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I'd say in the $300-400 mil range. Lucas admitted that its darkness might be a bit of a turnoff, so he does expect a dip in box office sales.

5. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Probably 205-250 million. I'm sure Ep3 will be the best of the PT (because it will include the climax), but it won't be a huge hit at the box office like the other SW films were, imho.

6. DARTH_NAFOD

DARTH_NAFOD Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2002
    I predict $450+

Why, although it will be dark and may turn the young away, many of the fans will see it more than they have seen AOTC and TPM. Why? Because after E3 has been out a while, then some theaters will probably start doing the E1-E6 on the big screen so people will see them as they were intended.

For the Masses, two words: DARTH VADER

It is what the PT has been missing for many casual fans. Thats what the casual fans I know at work say anyway.

(I define casual fan as someone who can name at least 2 episodes, and knows the main characters)

7. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Right now my prediction is $340 million.

8. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    It will only be surpassed by A New Hope.

AOTC is forever destined to be the one that made the least money.

The OT has mass appeal. The thing most people were expecting with the PT is to have that same mass appeal, but alas it only appeals to Star Wars fans.

Episode 3 will bring back the era where a Star Wars movie can be enjoyed by anyone. Plus, its the one that everyone and their wookie has been waiting to see for decades.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I can't imagine that. Most casual fans judge Star Wars films based only on the previous one, so a lot of people who didn't like AotC probably won't be back for E3. Although diehards fans may be looking forward to E3 the most, they aren't the ones who generate most of the revenue.

10. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    Interesting point of view. Actually, in my experience, everyone honestly and truly REMEMBERS Star Wars. Most "casual fans" I know still love the OT, and many (well, OLD people) do not think of the PT as "STar Wars" at all. Neither episode 1, nor episode 2, has been what the casual fan was expecting to see - i.e. its nothing like the 3 Star Wars movies they saw years ago and have come to think of as "Star Wars" is.

People remember Star Wars for what it was, and wish to see it return to the precedent it itself put forth. So, when going into ep3, surely the "casual fan" will have the previous SW movie in mind, but I imagine their mindset will be something like, "I hope this one isnt like the last one."

Know what I mean? They will see the movie BECAUSE they want to love Star Wars. The last two may not have "done it" for them, but that doesnt mean theyve forgotten Star Wars by any means. They very much remember it, and will see Episode 3 hoping to see more of it. I dont think the fact that they didnt like the last 2 will have much bearing on whether they see this one or not.

Why? Because IMO, Ep3, if its as "dark" as GL claims, will be that lost Star Wars. The missing link of Star Wars. The Star Wars that a non-Star Wars fan could love. It will harken back to the days where STar Wars was the bee's knees, as it were. Back to they days where Star Wars was "the thing." And if it is, then people will realize it, either sensing it, or hearing it by word of mouth, that, "Star Wars is back!"

And if, with episode 3, Star Wars is back, as I suspect it will be, Episode 3 will gross an enormous amount of money. MOre than TPM, probably. If TPM made that much money (almost a billion dollars!) and is regarded by most fans and non-fans as the weakest SW film, think how much a "good" SW film could make.

11. advent

advent Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2003
    225-275 million

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    DarthWeenie, why'd you think AOTC made the least money?

ESB made the least in the US, and ROTJ made the least worldwide. Unless you're talking adjusted, and then that throws the whole movie situation all over the place anyway.

Back on topic...I reckon a reasonable estimate would be about $330m US and $300m-350m internationally, for a total of $630m-680m worldwide.

13. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    It will perform better than AOTC but it will not beat TPM.

14. tun_dot_com

tun_dot_com Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2002
    I think seeing Darth Vader on the big screen will get all the people coming. :D

15. Phantom-Iam

Phantom-Iam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2002
    US- 325 million
    Worldwide- 500 million+

16. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    DamonD-

According to sources Ive read, AOTC made the least money worldwide out of any SW film. I understand how figures can differ depending on the source. And I do not take into account inflation, only hard numbers. Taking "adjusted" box office figures into account only makes everything even LESS concrete.

But according to box office figures reported by this very site at least once, AOTC made the least money at the box office of any SW film. That report may have "adjusted" the figures and I missed it, but I dont think so. But that would account for the discrepency between you and I. Or, it could just be a case of "different sources = different numbers."

As it stands, I am under the impression that AOTC made less than ROTJ.

17. advent

advent Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2003
  18. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Episode 3 will bring back the era where a Star Wars movie can be enjoyed by anyone.

I doubt it, I think Episode 3 will isolate people more than TPM or AOTC did. People have too many expectations for it to be loved by everyone.

The PT is exactly the same as the OT. Face it.

19. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Attack of the Clones made the least money out of the 5 SW movies adjusted for inflation. The order would go ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TPM, then AotC falling behind. Adjusted I see Episode 3 besting Attack of the Clones by a small margin. Unadjusted it would be the #3 out of the SW movies with about $350-60M.

20. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Actually, looking at the original releases only, the order of adjusted gross is ANH, TPM, RotJ, ESB, AotC. ANH is way ahead of all the others, and AotC is way behind all the others. The dropoff (percentage-wise) from TPM to AotC is quite similar to the dropoff from ANH to ESB, actually slightly better. So I think Episode III as the final installment in the series will follow the same pattern and have slightly stronger ticket sales than AotC.

21. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I can't imagine that. Most casual fans judge Star Wars films based only on the previous one, so a lot of people who didn't like AotC probably won't be back for E3.

Not entirely true. Didn't Rotj make more than ESB.

And I'm pretty sure AOTC passed ESB (unadjusted that is).

Someone mentioned they don't really pay attention to the adjusted figures. But if one of the OT films were adjusted and showed that it made more money than the films now, doesn't that mean it sold more tickets?
    Of course it does.
    IMHO, i think it shows which films truly had the most attention

22. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    If anyone wants this, here are the exact box office figures for the 5 Star Wars films, unadjusted of course. And in order of amount, not release.

US BOX OFFICE
    Star Wars: Episode IV $460,998,007
    Star Wars: Episode I $431,088,297
    Star Wars: Episode II $310,672,361
    Star Wars: Episode VI $309,306,177
    Star Wars: Episode V $290,475,067

INTERNATIONAL BOX OFFICE
    Star Wars: Episode I $494,500,000
    Star Wars: Episode II $337,381,454
    Star Wars: Episode IV $337,000,000
    Star Wars: Episode V $243,700,000
    Star Wars: Episode VI $161,200,000

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE
    Star Wars: Episode I $925,588,297
    Star Wars: Episode IV $797,998,007
    Star Wars: Episode II $648,053,815
    Star Wars: Episode V $534,175,067
    Star Wars: Episode VI $470,506,177

23. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Chewbacca's worth at least another $10 million :D

24. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Amen to that :D

25. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Hmm, checking around for that AOTC international figure I've seen it reported as $337.6m in a couple places.

So it could be a little higher, but that $337.381m figure is definitely confirmed from Feb 24th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.