main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[HCSF] box office predictions

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthRandolph, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    One of my buddy's girlfriend saw it and told us she was going to see it half a dozen times with her and her group of girlfriends. Take that with a grain of salt, but it tells me two things:

1) The movie elicits a lot of emotional response, which people respond strongly to (Hell, both my parents want to see this movie and they've never seen a SW movie!)

2) They think Hayden is good looking

Repeat business is going to be a reality, to what scale however no one knows

2. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    well im going for my first viewing at 7:45, 4 people are coming with me.

3. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Have you all checked TFN today? There is an article that says ROTS grossed $50 million in just the first day!

4. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think the difference between Titanic and ROTS is that Titanic was tragic, but in a romantic and sweet kind of way. ROTS tears your gut out.

5. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    did you read any of the reviews on that website? (box office mojo) THey are hilarious!!!

Their movie reviewer is infamous among the box office tracking community for writing such terrible reviews.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    With an Opening Day prediction of $50m, congratulations to JediHPDrummer!

We should get estimates in for Friday's take this evening. A drop is expected since we don't have the overnights anymore, but I'd be hoping for something in the $30m range.

7. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    As Jamfocus pointed out...with an Opening Day prediction of $50m, belated congratulations to JediHPDrummer!

We should get estimates in for Friday's take this evening. A drop is expected since we don't have the overnights anymore, but I'd be hoping for something in the $30m range.

Well, what's gonna happen here is that the US, International and Worldwide predictions contests are still open. Now we know the opening day gross, just the same as in the other Box Office contests, no more Opening Day, 3-day, or 4-day predictions will be included on the list. It'd be a bit unfair to have predictions made weeks or even months ago up against figures calculated with actual data and posted since the 19th.

So...US, Int, and WW predictions are still accepted here, but be quick! For the same reasons as the other predictions, you won't have long...the deadline here will be next weekend. When the next Friday's estimates come in on next Saturday afternoon, to be exact.

Hope you're all fine with this. It's better than someone coming along on Day 40 and making a 'sudden' expert prediction of ROTS' final gross after all ;)

I've also noted down the more current predictions and they'll be on the list next time it's posted here. Hope to have time tonight.

8. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    $50 million on just the first day!!!

I can't believe it. I'm waiting to see what is in store for the weekend.

9. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    The total box office take for Star Wars is now at $1,850,000,000 dollars. That includes the $50 million for Sith. So, once Sith hits the $200 million barrier, the franchise will hit the 2 billion dollar mark in total box office. Gadzooks!

10. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Just a note here...if that $35.5m Friday estimate holds up (in fact, so long as it's more than about $32.5m), then that'll be the 3rd highest Friday total in Box Office history.

And the only two films to open higher are Harry Potter 3 ($38.3m) and Spiderman ($39.4m) - both of which opened on a Friday. For ROTS to be so high as a Thursday opener is just phenomenal.

11. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I'd also be curious if those previous Fridays were during the summer, or when school is still in session like yesterday. Big difference.

12. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, Spidey was in early May.
    HP3, hmm...I think it was either November or December.

13. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Checked TFN this morning and it said that within just two days the box office reached $85 million!!!

That is just so incredible.

14. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Certainly is!
    For Saturday, I'm hoping for something in the $40m range...hopefully around the $44m mark.

I think the Weekend record (Spidey's $114m-odd) could still be close. We'll need a great Saturday and as small a Sunday drop as possible. But the 4-day record should be toast.

15. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I've been doing my part to contribute... been to four showings, all with several friends. ;)

I'm waiting for the Saturday totals... shouldn't be too long before they're up.

16. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Hoping to go sometime again next week. I want to do my part in contributing to such a great film.

17. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    SW thanks you for that :D ;)
    I've only been once...I'm planning my next trip for tomorrow, since I have Monday and Tuesday off from work.

18. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    We need to start doing what S-M fans did in 2002... if you end up going to see another film, buy a ticket for ROTS anyway and just go into the film you want to see.

!snap

19. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Who would want to see another film on ROTS' opening weekend though? ;)

20. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    I'm talking about down the road, when other film actually come out and ROTS is still lingering in theaters.

S-M fans who wanted to see AOTC actally bought tickets to S-M 2 and then walked in to see AOTC.

!snap

21. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Now there's a plan! Stuff the ballot boxes by buying extra tickets. I like it. I'll do that if I go see other movies were ROTS is playing.

22. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Okay, weekend estimates are in from Box Office Mojo.

Friday - $33.8m (-32.4%)
    Saturday - $40.9m (+21%)
    Sunday - $33.8m (-17.4%)

Weekend - $108.5m
    4-day - $158.5m

The Sunday drop is good, but I'd prefer the Saturday gross to be a bit higher.

This wouldn't break Spidey's $114m-odd weekend record, but would be juuuust ahead of Shrek 2's $108m and finish in the 2nd spot.

It would smash the 4-day total, though.

We'll have the actual figures by Monday afternoon/evening.

23. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I hate the fact that an utterly forgettable film like Spiderman is now the standard of excellence. Talk about a film full of terrible CG and cheesy acting with no plot!

24. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I was really disappointed when I finally got to see Spiderman. After all the hype, it just seemed kinda...there. Fine. Good enough for government work. But didn't hold my attention at all.

After being wowed by AOTC and TTT that year, Spidey was the only one that I felt a bit let down by...everyone thought I was a nutcase :p

25. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Exactly. I'm not a big fan of LOTR, but I can respect it and wouldn't hold a grudge if it was in the lead. But Spiderman seems no different than your average run-of-the-mill action flick. It would be like if 'Con Air' or 'Tango and Cash' held the top spot all-time. Plus I really feel it had the worst CG that I've ever seen. Every time they showed him swinging around I was pulled right out of the movie because it looked terrible.

Well what's the next big piece of competition coming up? Is it Batman or War of the Worlds? Because ROTS will keep pulling big numbers until another blockbuster comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.